Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #1

Cat Litter Box

Does anyone who travels with a cat have suggestions as to where to keep the litter box?
Jim Sinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #2

In our 377 we keep a small one in the mid bunk room. Very manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolling_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #3

We travel with our two Siamese cats in a Jayco 26BH, towed by an F-150 super cab.

The 26BH has the typical forward queen bed, with the storage underneath and the usual pseudo night stands on either side that make up the pass-through storage.

We installed a swinging pet door on the front of the passenger side (starboard) night stand to give the cats access to a single, large litterbox located inside the nightstand. To keep them from tracking litter all over the storage area, I walled off the nightstand portion of the storage area with some quarter inch luann plywood. In lieu of standard litter boxes, we use larger, flat plastic storage bins (nicer for the cats). I don't like covered litter boxes because cats don't always like them (smellier), but the area inside the nightstand is fairly tall and the cats think it's just fine.

Cleaning the litter box is easy. We go outside, open the storage access door, and the box is at a good level for easy access. It can be scooped out in place, or easily removed to sweep or vacuum the area occasionally. It's important to put a duffel bag or some other obstruction in front of the pet door while cleaning, or your cat(s) will find a happy surprise when they go through it. Woo hoo....we're outta here! The pet doors usually have a locking feature, but I would NEVER use it, as the cats expect the door to open when they bump their heads into it, and sometimes enter at considerable speed. At worst they could be injured, or at least, they might have a bad experience that causes them to shun the litter box. Not good.

Also, get the cleaning done quickly. If our male cat finds the litter box door blocked when he needs to take a pee, he might pee on the floor. Not because he's a bad cat, but I think he's all ready to pee, finds the door blocked, and suddenly he REALLY has to pee and can't help it.

This has been an excellent arrangement for us, and was actually part of our criteria for choosing the 26BH.

At home, we have two large litter boxes that we clean daily, so with just one litter box in the trailer, we clean it twice a day (but it's so easy!).

We have another litter box in the back seat of the super cab that the cats can use while we're driving. Cats travel much better if they know they have a place to go. In the truck, we use a standard, covered litter box to keep the litter in the box. They don't seem to mind the cramped litter box all that much on this limited basis. We also have our cat carrier back there with a folded beach towel in it for comfort. They feel secure in it, and there's always at least one cat in it. We got the super cab to accommodate our cats, and they like their area so much back there, that they seldom venture into the front seats. They are absolutely prohibited from the drivers seat or driver's floor. Nobody needs a cat curled up under the brake pedal. By setting up the truck to accommodate the cat's needs, we've found that they travel extremely well. The only time we get a peep out of them is in the first few miles as they re-acclimate, or if the road is extremely bumpy and upsets their stomachs.

By the way, the cats love going camping, and they love the 26BH. We used to cruise with them on our sailboat, and noted that they like a long, narrow environment so they can run from end to end when they get revved up. The long, narrow interior of the 26BH works better for them than a shorter trailer with a slide.

Both our cats are trained to wear a harness, and enjoy going outside on a leash. No, they don't walk like a dog, but they love getting outside to sniff and look around. They know the word "outside", and we have to be careful to spell o-u-t in our normal conversations or they jump up and meow meow meow.

My last litter tip is one we haven't added to the trailer yet, but used very successfully on our boat. We got one of those nylon fabric collapsible cat tunnels (maybe four feet long, extended), and used Velcro to attach one end of it to the pet door. That way, every time they exit the litter box, 95% of the litter falls off their paws as they go through the tunnel. It's easy to detach the tunnel every few days and just give it a shake out the door. Really works.

By accommodating our cats in the TT and the TV, traveling and camping is a great experience for them. When we got our trailer and invited them in it for the first time, we made sure the litter box was ready and there was water and cat food in bowls under the dinette table. They each did a careful exploration, and were nervous, but as they discovered the trailer had everything they needed, within an hour they had pretty well settled in. Bottom line, they love it, and that means having them with us isn't a hassle.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
Site Team

We keep it in the bathtub... when we’re not using it, of course. The high sides of the tub help confine any litter that escapes from the box.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
We keep it in the bathtub... when we’re not using it, of course. The high sides of the tub help confine any litter that escapes from the box.
X2
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #6

We have lift up bed in the front of our trailer. We installed a cat door in the end of the bed pedestal that allows the cat to access the litter box. Works perfect and keeps everything out of the way.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #7

Ours sits very neatly in the shower tray.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #8

This is one of the reasons I haven't taken our new cat camping. Our older one would just freak out and be a terror the entire time. I think once the baby get s a little older and will be more calm (she is only 4 months old) it may be a little easier. I'm trying to get her used to a collar and leash which should allow me to take her outside as well.

I do like the shower tray idea but with the 19H the pathway is so small leaving the door open could be kind of rough.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
I think once the baby get s a little older and will be more calm (she is only 4 months old) it may be a little easier. I'm trying to get her used to a collar and leash which should allow me to take her outside as well.
Our (then) kitten, Squeak, was rescued from the wheel-well of our PopUp, a week before our annual trip to the Smokies (650 miles each way).
Rather than leave a very small (we guessed 8 weeks) rescue kitten at home, we found a very small harness and took her with us.
She loved riding in the Jeep, either curling up on the centre console, or standing up and watching the traffic go by.
She also took, very quickly, to the camping life - though we did keep her on the harness all the time she was outside, to avoid her becoming some larger creature's lunch.
Now she comes with us on every trip.
The moral, I think is to "train them young".
Attached Thumbnails
tree.JPG  

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:35 PM   #10

In our Cameo, the litter box was in the bedroom (only place available). When we were looking at new trailers, where we put the litter box was part of our decision. In the Pinnacle with the front bathroom, it is large enough for the litter box. We have the Litter Robot (both in the trailer & at home) & absolutely love it.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the advice.