Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2021, 02:42 AM   #1

Catalytic converter missing

Hello, I need help identifying a missing catalytic converter. I am no mechanic, but I do know the sound my Honda CR-V normally makes. Monday evening, was walking to my car ready for work, when I turn on the ignition, a roaring sounds scared me, check engine light as well is on. I am like what the heck. At first I thought it could be that I had bought a lemon you know from dealer. I called dealer for service but they tell me they were closed, to call tomorrow morning at 7 am when they open. Next morning Tuesday, I call and tell them about the noise and they schedule me an appointment for Wednesday morning, I like ok. That same Tuesday I do some research online about that weird loud noise my car makes. I come across catalytic converters being stolen because of their material and family member hear in the news about that same kind of theft. So I go look under my car and I see a similar gap on the exhaust I seen online and the news. Is this something real? Did someone stole my catalytic converter?
Attached Thumbnails
7221229E-CAC8-42FD-8418-01AC8791DD42.jpg  
Flak87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:23 AM   #2

Yes. Catalytic converter theft is very common. I work at a Ford dealer and see it on a normal basis. Mainly on bigger SUV's and pickups. But there are some foreign models that are very valuable on the market. They're sold for their platinum mostly.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:39 AM   #3

Is this something real?

>>Is this something real? <<

Troopers See Increase In Catalytic Converter Thefts From Vehicles – First State Update

I think you answered your own question.

If your Honda is realllllly loud and you look and see that parts have been cut off your Honda... it's gotta be real.
...Sorry...
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:04 PM   #4

My motor home's cat was stolen, had it in a shop for repairs at the time. My RV shop had a local exhaust shop replace it, but they didn't do it right. I have the parts to fix it (kind of wish I had just done it myself in the first place).

I knew EXACTLY what happened the moment I started the engine when I went to pick up the camper. Knew right where to look. The ones on the Ford E-450 chassis are SUPER easy, and you can do it silently. 6 bolts and it's gone. If the bolts give you trouble, you keep a battery powered sawz-all handy equipped with a metal cutting blade, and it takes even less time (albeit a little noisier). At least the sub-humans unplugged the O2 sensor instead of cutting the harness...

Cat theft is all too common. I've heard that if you spray paint it orange, the thieves will leave it alone. I'm tempted to try it...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #5

Kent, Washington police did a bust and found nearly 800 stolen catalytic converters!!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #6

Cat theft in Northeast Ohio is trippled in the past three years. They are getting almost $1000 per for the best (prius, etc.) since hybrids have the most rare metals in them. This in spite of Ohio law limiting submission of one cat per day to a scrapper, driver license scanned when paid and it goes directly into a searchable on line database.

Lot's of ideas for securing your cat, but none are 100% guaranteed. According to my police chief, best so far, go to one of the shops that specialize in putting a metal plate under your cats that is frame secured. Plan B, buy a twenty dollar Dremel engraving tool and crawl under the vehicle....engrave the VIN or your Driver License number...or even include your registration number off the plate. You may get the cat back, iffy tho, and if you do, it most likely won't fit.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:13 AM   #7
RPR

Grated plate may be better over a solid metal plate. Allow for heat to escape.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #8

Where we store our unit, in February/March, 13 units had their cat stolen. Our understanding, when a Class C owner started his unit, it caught fire - was it from the missing cat or mice chewing. And school buses are being hit here as well - $20K to replace a cat on them. Beyond frustrated with those who want their drugs and have to steal from others to buy them.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote