Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2018, 10:26 PM   #1

Cats in a Class A motorhome.

Has anyone found a way to allow your cats get to a storage compartment through a man made passageway through the floor or anything ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CatMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #2

Check out these numerous discussions;

https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+...earch=irv2.com

Long live the cat!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:35 AM   #3

We have a 26BH travel trailer, and travel with two cats.

The 26BH has a queen bed forward, with storage underneath. Also, the forward pass-through storage is under the bed and it's two "nightstands". We use one of the nightstands for the litter box. I put a pet door on the front of one of the nightstands, and located the litter box inside. Because the box is in the nightstand, which is taller than the under the bed storage area, there's plenty of headroom for the cats.

The major bonus of this setup is that when I clean the litter box, all I have to do is go outside, open the storage area compartment, and there's the box at a comfortable height to lift it out and clean it.

At first, we suffered from the cats tracking litter all over the under bed area, so I walled off the nightstand litter area from the rest of the storage with a piece of 1/4 inch plywood.

We use an extra large litter box, too. Most litter boxes, IMO, are too small, so we use a plastic bin that's about twice the size of a typical litter box.

I highly recommend walling off the box area. Not just for tracking, but also because cats often seem to throw a little party in the litter box and litter gets tossed everywhere.

Tracking and mess are greatly reduced. We just get a tiny amount of litter tracking when they exit the cat door.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately our night stand is too small. We have a class A. Now they are in bunks. But I do t want to keep them there. But thanks

Old 03-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #5

If all your storage is under your floor, that certainly creates a problem for cat access.

If you have a lift up queen bed, a pet door on the side of the bed could be a possibility. Walling off the litter are from the rest of the storage would keep the litter down. Another way to keep litter tracking down is to get a collapsible cat play tunnel for them them to walk through for litter access. Attach it with Velcro. 90% of their tracked litter will end up in the tunnel. Clean it by removing it and giving it a shake outside.

On our sailboat, space for a litter box wax very limited. We found a spot where we could put a store-bought covered litter box, and we used a cat tunnel to reduce tracking. Otherwise, it's not long before you find yourself brushing litter off your bedspread, etc..

Some people put their litter box in the bathroom or shower, and move it when they need to. There's no way I want to be moving the litter box all the time. For us, a permanent location is essential.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #6

And I thought taking the dog camping was a hassle. I love my dog but he is such pain to take he now stays home and we can enjoy our camping.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
And I thought taking the dog camping was a hassle. I love my dog but he is such pain to take he now stays home and we can enjoy our camping.
Yeah, I hear ya. But, once the litter situation is sorted out, cats are reasonably easy. Our's seem to enjoy traveling and camping.

And for us cat people, sitting down with a glass of wine, some crackers and cheese, and a good book is alright, but without a cat in your lap ?!?!?!
Old 03-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #8

Thanks guys.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Some people put their litter box in the bathroom or shower, and move it when they need to. There's no way I want to be moving the litter box all the time. For us, a permanent location is essential.
My in-laws have 2 cats. They keep their litter box in the space between the toilet and the wall and installed a pet door in the bathroom door. It keeps most of the litter mess in the bathroom and they seem happy with the process.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #10
Site Team

I searched JOF using the custom google search tool. https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...95:_douuy_o5dq

I entered: "holes in floor of motorhome for cat litter"

Received 4 threads about class C but none on class A's. More research needed I guess.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #11

Why thanks so much ‘!! Have a great day

Old 03-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
My in-laws have 2 cats. They keep their litter box in the space between the toilet and the wall and installed a pet door in the bathroom door. It keeps most of the litter mess in the bathroom and they seem happy with the process.

Awesome idea. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #13

My neighbors parents have a giant class A and travel with their cats. They installed 2 cat doors. One on the door to the bathroom and one on the cabinet door under the sink. They keep the litter box under the sink instead of storage.