Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2019, 12:41 PM   #21

If cell service is lost for any reason, CB radios may be the only communication possible. They can be very useful in "dead zones" or in National Parks and outlying areas away from major highways or large towns and cities where there is no cell service.
Twowings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
FRS/GMRS might require a license depending on the channel (frequency) and power used. That said, these things are in every store across America and you'll see them in every campground. They're portable and low power. Given those factors, it's not worthwhile for authorities to chase anyone down unless someone is blatantly violating the law. i.e. committing a felony.
FRS does not require a license. GMRS requires a license, no test. Range with GMRS is greater than FRS due to the higher powered radios in that service. GMRS activity is not great between interstate cities but there are usually repeaters in or near cities. Some repeaters are closed, for private use and some are open for all to use. You will need to research channels and usage on your route.

Ham radio has a no code technician license but you are required to take a simple test. You get VHF and UHF privileges and have access to many, many ham repeaters. Like GMRS you will need to plan your route for frequencies to be used. Between cities on interstate, especially in the west you are likely out of repeater range. Learn Morse code and get access to the HF band where you have much more rang and higher power levels to operate. You can just about always find someone on HF or summon help.

Some truckers ventured into VHF marine several years ago to get away from the nastiness on CB but the FCC cracked down on that. If you feel lucky you can use commercial 2 way radios between vehicles but don’t get caught. Same with “export” CB’s which run illegal power levels. The chances of getting caught using a 5/25 watt GMRS radio are slim especially in the boonies. Chances are greater around cities were there is more activity.

I’ve been a ham for nearly 50 years and was into CB before that, in the good ole days. If CB is all you have, definitely install it as it might pay off some day. I keep a CB handheld radio beside my drivers seat which has always been useful when the interstate is stopped or slow moving. Finding out which lane is open quickly leads to less stress in an interstate parking lot.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Ham radio has a no code technician license but you are required to take a simple test. You get VHF and UHF privileges and have access to many, many ham repeaters. Like GMRS you will need to plan your route for frequencies to be used. Between cities on interstate, especially in the west you are likely out of repeater range. Learn Morse code and get access to the HF band where you have much more rang and higher power levels to operate. You can just about always find someone on HF or summon help.

I earned the entry level Ham license (Technician) because I wanted access VHF/UHF frequencies and the many repeaters around the country. It wasn't that difficult. And it will keep the Ham operators happy. They are not very nice when they hear interlopers on the Ham freqs. They know the difference. It's worth effort to stay legal.

NickM - I didn't need to learn Morse code for my Technician license. Is it still required for higher levels? I thought it was removed as a requirement.

Regards.
Flight Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:23 PM   #24

This thread takes me back! In the 70's I flew F-111A and F. Aircraft was equipped with an HF radio, 400 Watts. Quite a range, even at low altitude. On a lark, I looked up the frequencies for several CB channels and used to carry them on my clipboard. One night, coming back from some night mission was returning to Nellis, cruising FL210 (21,000') and I was a bit bored, other guy was flying, so I dialed up CB chan 19, keyed the mic and called "Breaker 1 9, anybody got a copy on "roadrunner""? Wow, did I get some responses, one from a trucker that I guess was pretty close distance wise.... "holy crap roadrunner you just about blew my doors off!!!? whats your 20? So I calmly said, 21,000 ft, about 300 miles north of Nellis AFB" Then I listened in to the fun, at least no one seemed to be on the road sleepy. A couple Smokies even checked in.

cheers
cactus
cjack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:40 PM   #25

I say install it. We use ours for the spotter to communicate with the driver when backing up the trailer, chatting between travel mates in their RV (ala caravan style), for a heads up when super slab is congested, in the boonies to keep tabs on the others who are out "exploring", etc. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #26

Some years (ok decades!) back, I ran CB in the UK (different system, or course.. cant have people buying the equipment overseas, let's make them buy OK-only gear at three times the price, because nobody wants to manufacture it...)

On one occasion, the Goodyear blimp was visiting, and some wisearse came up on 19, pretending to be aboard the blimp. Then the *real* blimp crew came on and tore him a new one :-)

We still have a hand-held that can hook to a mag mount antenna, for long tows. Who know, it might be useful one day...

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #27

I still use mine when traveling with friends. We all have one and it’s a great way to keep in touch. It you want to listen to truck chatter They can give you heads up on traffic, police etc
DavidSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #28

As a guy that has driven the interstate to Florida several times, and many other hi-ways and byways in the US and Canada, I can say the statement (of CB's being obsolete and no one using them)is simply not accurate, CB radios are still used in most trucks, especially those that haul long distance. Just look at the trucks as you drive by them, you will see that almost all of them have CB antenna's! I would say if you have it, install it! It doesn't cost you anything and is as useful as you want it to be. As mentioned there are plenty of times where cell service is sketchy and information can come to you in real time (ie) which lane to pick in the traffic jam, how long the jam may take...lots of stuff you cannot get with a cell phone.
As an example of how great this can be, 2 years ago near Georgia I had the family with me traveling at night, I heard the truckers warning of a big 'Alligator' in the right lane, I would have hit it for sure causing untold damage. BTW, alligator is trucker talk for a hunk of tire on the road with the steel cords hanging out...laying flat like a gator with the steel teeth, generally dangerous and to be avoided at all costs.
100% put it in!
uptownbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #29

@Flight Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Control View Post

NickM - I didn't need to learn Morse code for my Technician license. Is it still required for higher levels? I thought it was removed as a requirement.

Regards.
I am fairly sure that for General or Extra (seems like they dropped Advanced) you need 5 WPM morse. Back when I started General was 13 WPM.

Someone has introduced a new class to the FCC, sort of like Technician plus that gives HF privileges and all frees above 50 mhz. The concept was given the green light by ARRL so the FCC will stew over it and put it out for general comments before making a decision. Even with internet, texts and cell phones the U.S. ham population is showing growth.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack99 View Post
This thread takes me back! In the 70's I flew F-111A and F. Aircraft was equipped with an HF radio, 400 Watts. Quite a range, even at low altitude. On a lark, I looked up the frequencies for several CB channels and used to carry them on my clipboard. One night, coming back from some night mission was returning to Nellis, cruising FL210 (21,000') and I was a bit bored, other guy was flying, so I dialed up CB chan 19, keyed the mic and called "Breaker 1 9, anybody got a copy on "roadrunner""? Wow, did I get some responses, one from a trucker that I guess was pretty close distance wise.... "holy crap roadrunner you just about blew my doors off!!!? whats your 20? So I calmly said, 21,000 ft, about 300 miles north of Nellis AFB" Then I listened in to the fun, at least no one seemed to be on the road sleepy. A couple Smokies even checked in.

cheers
cactus
I did the same when at Clark Air Base (was Air/Ground Radio Operator) only was using a 3KW HF SSB radio. The pileup was so bad I couldn't pull anyone out.

Couple of years later when I had my ham license I took an orientation flight in a KC-135, SAC wanted me to cross train as a boomer. My boomer friend was working on his ham ticket so we laid in the boom pod and had the navigator set up the HF on the 20 meter ham band. Everyone wants to talk to an aeronautical mobile. So much fun but in the end I declined the boomer slot and went back to Clark as a radio operator. Best job I ever had, never any work to it.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #31

Still have my CB from the days when I was a member of REACT around the D.C. area back in the 70s and 80s, but don't use it much anymore. In those days, we in REACT would call in broken down motorists on the DC beltway and other places that needed help but had no way to call for it. Since I moved away from the DC area, not even sure that REACT still exists.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #32

There is no requirement for code at any level. I have a general license (passes in 2017) and I’m working on the extra ticket.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #33

I have a CB in my 18 wheeler but hardly ever turn it on anymore. My wife and I are retiring the end of May and I'm not planning on putting it in my pick up.
Nick&Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:09 PM   #34

As far as I know, FRS doesn’t require a license, but is short range. GMRS does require a license, more power and range. The Baofeng radios use 2 meter and 70 cm bands requiring a ham license for both users. Some Baofengs can be programmed for FRS, but exceed legal power output. The FCC has been after Baofeng/Pofeng to alter their radios so they can’t be programmed for FRS and GMRS. I traveled for work several years ago and I took a CB with me for traffic reports. The language from the truckers was horrific.
Bill Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:31 AM   #35

I'll do it

Thanks for all the replies. Cell phones and laptops are great if you have the other person's contact info. The beauty of a CB is you can talk to anyone who happens to be near you at the time. I have (had) a CB radio license when they were first required in the 1970's. I know how useful they are in traffic conditions. There used to be truck convoys (remember the movie?) where the whole group could stay in contact with each other, something that can't be done on a cell phone. I was wondering if a lot of RVers still had them, very useful for group travel. I can see it useful as I approach a new area and want to know about local conditions, ordinances, free camping, dump sites, other useful info that might not be available on the web.
MikeyInNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:41 AM   #36

Smile CB Radio

I enjoy using the CB when traveling in a RV Caravan with friends. My navigator enjoys shooting the breeze with other members. As for traveling alone, we seldom hook it up. They can be useful and yes there are still plenty of truckers out there on channel 9. No need to make it a permanent installation. I keep mine in a plastic see box. Ten-four?
1Cruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyInNY View Post
snip...
I can see it useful as I approach a new area and want to know about local conditions, ordinances, free camping, dump sites, other useful info that might not be available on the web.
Be cautious of trusting info from an anonymous CB contact. Even 'back in the day' with our CB base station, we'd hear some jokers that got their kicks from intentionally giving bad directions and information.
So... "Trust but verify."
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:01 AM   #38

CB

We have a walkie talkie CB that we occasionally bring out when there is a big backup somewhere. It lives in one of the overhead compartments otherwise.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:39 PM   #39

CB’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyInNY View Post
Found my old CB radio (40 channel). Before I go through the effort of installing it, I'm wondering if anyone other than truckers still use them. I tried to search the forum, but it didn't like "CB" so I had to start a new thread. So what do you think, install or not?
A lot of accidents can be prevented by using the CB radio properly. Truckers communicate road hazards, weather conditions, accidents, and can give you a heads up on something that doesn’t look safe on your rig. You have to keep the volume down in the big cities because there’s a lot of jabber on 19. Install it and it will help you out down the road. CB’s will work when there’s no cell reception. For short range, a handheld would be beneficial, they have come along way over the years.
1joans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #40

Bought a cobra handheld cobra cb

We turn it on when we want to know what’s happening in area we are driving thru, traffic jams, weather, etc. didn’t want to install our old Cobra we had in the 70’s, even though it still works. Easier with a handheld, and magnetic antenna, we are both also ham radio operators, and listen in on that sometimes as were driving also. Plus having both ensures a good possibility that if something happens you can get thru in an emergency, even if the cell phones, on two different carriers don’t work, out in the boonies. Oh yeah, and listening in on the truckers conversations are usually pretty entertaining on a sometimes quiet, boring drive. Hehehe.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote