Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #1

CDL requirment for RV towing/driving

The topic of States requiring a CDL for towing/driving an RV has come up on this forum several times. (Here is one more time)

FYI and take it for what it is worth.

Yesterday, March 13, 2019, I had business with the Okla. Dept of Public Safety Driver’s License Agency. While conducting my business, I inquired of the official if he has heard any talk of Oklahoma moving to require a CDL to tow/drive an RV. His response was, and I will paraphrase.

“Yes, I have heard talk regarding that topic, however it is just coffee shop talk. There is a Federal regulation, that all states must comply with, that prohibits States from implementing such a requirement regarding RVs. However, is some States, the insurance companies are looking at requiring a CDL before they will issue insurance coverage on an RV.”

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #2

If some insurance companies start this, they all will eventually jump on the wagon.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

Here in New Mexico we changed our driver's licenses to Class E. You should check in your state if this may also be the case.

By rule (18.19.5.112 NMAC) drivers with a Class E license may operate certain vehicles that are over 26,000 pounds on the public roads and highways of New Mexico without a commercial driver's license. The Class E exempt license is available to drivers of:
Recreational Vehicles – vehicles that are registered and used as a recreational vehicles.
RoyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
RPR

Just a way for them to get more money. Next they will require a flammable indorsement $$ on your license because you carry propane bottle(s) on your RV. Then a hazmat indorsement if you have too many batteries in your battery bank. We’re will it end?
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
RPR

The CDL physical is a joke. Had to take one every two years. Depends where you take it. Nurse took weight, height, blood pressure , drew blood for drug test and stood behind you and ask if you could hear her. Doctor stood in doorway and said cough. That’s all he did. Money making deal!
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #6

How could the insurance companies take priority over Fed regs if states cannot?
Ram Laramie 3500, asin, 4x4, DRW 4:10.
2018 NORTH POINT 315, 8K Axles,disk brakes and 17.5"
WayneTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #7

Yet another reason to dis-like Insurance Companies. They are a necessary evil. But If I were to win a big Powerball I would self insure myself and tell the Insurance Companies to *%&^$%$^*&OFF!!
T-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #8

How does one self-insure, when an insurance card is required in order to buy a tag for the vehicle?
Old 03-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
How does one self-insure, when an insurance card is required in order to buy a tag for the vehicle?
Good point. I don't really know. Maybe a bank statement showing about 10 million dollars in the account. LOL
I sure would try to figure it out but that is just a pipe dream at this point.
T-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Does your state require insurance proof in order to get tabs??? Our doesn't but they absolutely should. All three times my family has been involved in accidents, the at fault drivers never had insurance. Absolutely ridiculous.

I understand to transfer a title when buying a car, but they should require a 3 month window to get proof submitted or tabs are invalid for title transfers, and not allow tab renewals without proof of some insurance, even if its liability on a different car.
Trippy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #11

In California you have to post a sum of money with the DMV to obtain proof of financial liability. I have never done it so I can't remember more than that. I also do not remember ever having to provide insurance information to renew, I just have to sell my first born to actually pay for it.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
In California you have to post a sum of money with the DMV to obtain proof of financial liability. I have never done it so I can't remember more than that. I also do not remember ever having to provide insurance information to renew, I just have to sell my first born to actually pay for it.
Hahaha. Yeah I've heard Cali is one of the worst for tabs. Up here it's gotten bad if you live in the metro area. Luckily, I do not. $68-100 max for me.
Trippy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #13

"Requiring" insurance is a joke. I live in Michigan and you have to have insurance to register your vehicle, every year. I haven't had to show one in a long, long time because I have a PIN on my license application. If you don't have a PIN you have to show proof of insurance. So what the guy and gals that don't want/can't afford insurance do is get a policy on a monthly payment plan, pay the first month to get in insurance card and don't pay the second month. The smarter ones cancel the policy the next day and get most of their money back. The point being that "requiring" insurance is only good for one day. Do I think it's smart? No. Do I really care? No Michigan has no fault insurance and my car is fixed whether or not I'm at fault. I may be out a $1,000 deductible but only if I'm at fault but it's not a disaster. The folks it really hurts are the one's that don't have insurance and total their car. They get to buy an new one on their nickel. So requiring insurance isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #14

In California, the insurance companies "communicate" with the DMV. I have a project car, that was insured & when I took it off the road, I canceled my insurance. I got a letter from the DMV saying, my registration is invalid, unless I show proof of insurance.
cartpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
The topic of States requiring a CDL for towing/driving an RV has come up on this forum several times. (Here is one more time)

FYI and take it for what it is worth.

Yesterday, March 13, 2019, I had business with the Okla. Dept of Public Safety Driver’s License Agency. While conducting my business, I inquired of the official if he has heard any talk of Oklahoma moving to require a CDL to tow/drive an RV. His response was, and I will paraphrase.

“Yes, I have heard talk regarding that topic, however it is just coffee shop talk. There is a Federal regulation, that all states must comply with, that prohibits States from implementing such a requirement regarding RVs. However, is some States, the insurance companies are looking at requiring a CDL before they will issue insurance coverage on an RV.”

Shorty
Here in Texas, it's called a Class A Exempt non-cdl license, required for any trailer over 10,000 pounds, and the GVWR of the trailer and tow vehicle exceeds 26,000 pounds. There's a lot of people on these forums that disputes this information but that's the law in Texas.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post

Shorty
The federal regulation is the result of the RV industry lobbying Congress for years. It's one less objection to be overcome when selling a 40-foot motorhome.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
Yet another reason to dis-like Insurance Companies. They are a necessary evil. But If I were to win a big Powerball I would self insure myself and tell the Insurance Companies to *%&^$%$^*&OFF!!
If you will, let us know. Self insurance normally means a BIG law suit, so if you scratch a car you could loose it all.

I've seen that while living in Alaska where a guy slid on ice and rear ended a pickup. The pickup owner got a lawyer who found out the guy was self insured and took the guy who was self insured for everything he had (house, vehicles, bank accounts, investments). Reason, his client suffered a fractured skull (head slammed into glass behind seat) and was hospitalized for several days. The self insured guy had a driving history of speeding, failure to stop for lights, and 1 DUI (many years before the accident). Cost him everything, including his job (professional truck driver/hazmat (fuel trucks). (This was before the change in CDI national requirements existed).

So my view, insurance is like brakes in a pickup, they are totally worthless until you need them.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Here in Texas, it's called a Class A Exempt non-cdl license, required for any trailer over 10,000 pounds, and the GVWR of the trailer and tow vehicle exceeds 26,000 pounds. There's a lot of people on these forums that disputes this information but that's the law in Texas.
Tru Dat!

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Same in Georgia but class E non cdl
Old 03-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
Tru Dat!
Yep, had my A since 2012. There is a B if your over 26000 gvwr but rv is under 10K.
Here in Tx you take a written test over portions of the CDL book and a driving test in a vehicle or combo that meets the gvwr requirements. I would take a WAG that maybe only 15 to 20% of us have it. It will take those insurance companies and a few lawsuits to get drivers attention.
I didn't even know it existed until I stepped up to the dually and a couple we hang with both work for DPS, she was with drivers license then, told me about the reg's .
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote