Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Ceramic Heater vs Propane Use

The wife and I went to Roaring River a couple of weeks ago. It was cool weather and we used a 20 pound tank and 3/4 of another. It was a four day three night trip. So I decided to buy one of these:
Lasko Full-Circle Warmth Ceramic Heater with Remote Control - Walmart.com
This last weekend we went over to the local state park for 3 days and two nites. The temp was mid 40s at nite and 60s during the day. The furnace only kicked on once. hoping to get 3 weekends this winter and was thinking this might help.
BillMc

BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Team

We use several small heaters in our rig to avoid using the LP unless it's really cold. We set the wall thermostat to 64 or so and if the electric can't keep up, it comes on for a few minutes.

It really saves on propane usage.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:21 PM   #3

Yup, that's what we do too. Both early and late in the season around here can get pretty cool at night. When we had a hybrid, heat was mandatory at night, as was an electric blanket. Besides, we're paying for the electricity whether we use it or not, so why not use that instead of propane?
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #4

We use a small ceramic heater too. You'd be surprised how much it helps. Set the thermostat low, let the little electric heater go, and you'll usually only hear the furnace kick on a few times if at all. We went over a year before we had to refill our first 30 lb cylinder. Granted, it's TX, but October to February is prime camping season for us, and contrary to popular belief, it can get pretty cold down here sometimes!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #5

Ceramic heaters are a must. With our pop up we frequently ran 2 in cold weather. One off the a/c circuit and the other off the other circuit in the camper. With that even in cold weather sometimes the propane would kick in. Middle of October we took the new to us had side out. One ceramic heater kept the camper comfortable with the propane only kicking on a few times if the door was open too long with the temps dipping to near freezing. Use the electric, you're paying for it already.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #6

Am assuming you have hook-ups, and we do have a small electric ceramic heater for such conditions. Just finished a week dry-camping in a NPS campground that strictly limited generator usage between 7-9, 12-2, 5-7. The days were mid/high-60s and nights were high-30s, so we set the thermostat at 50 and relied on our propane furnace. Thank goodness for topped-off batteries, a warm duvet, thermal PJs, and socks!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #7

Many people use heaters without issues. Why not, the electricity is included in the lot fee. We decided against it, since it adds to the trailer weight. Since we already carry the LP, why not use it!

I would check to make sure you do not have a gas leak. That is a lot of LP used in a short period of time. We camped all summer with some nights down into the 30's in the spring and late fall. Our stove, outdoor grill all use the same fuel as well. We still haven't used 3/4 of one 30lb tank yet over 40+ days of camping. Believe me, our furnace was on a lot!
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #8

This week, we are currently in a CG in Las Cruces, NM using ONLY the ceramic heater. Keeps the TT easily at 65 degrees when the nite temp dropped down to 39 degrees. Propane costs $$$ but the electricity is part of the space rent so why not use the CG's power? Just my 2 cents.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
Site Team

We have been in cg's that charge a extra fee for using high current items like ac's and heaters.
I have no problem with that as long as I am told when making reservations or checking in.

Most cg's do not go this.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcschwenke View Post
Many people use heaters without issues. Why not, the electricity is included in the lot fee. We decided against it, since it adds to the trailer weight. Since we already carry the LP, why not use it!

I would check to make sure you do not have a gas leak. That is a lot of LP used in a short period of time. We camped all summer with some nights down into the 30's in the spring and late fall. Our stove, outdoor grill all use the same fuel as well. We still haven't used 3/4 of one 30lb tank yet over 40+ days of camping. Believe me, our furnace was on a lot!
wow ! do you guys not use your hot water heater or is your elc.