Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #1

Charge line for TT

So we just purchased a Jayco Jayflight 31QBDS in October. When we bought it the dealer was installing a WD hitch and they advised me that the charge line on my truck was not working. They supposedly fixed, or I should say they told me they were going to fix it. When we got home 900 miles later my battery was still low. (We stayed at Wally World no generator).

When I asked the dealer about the charge line they told me that the charge line does not charge the battery of the TT. It is only for keeping the battery in a tow behind vehicle like a car.

I'm a little confused. If the charge line keeps the toad battery up should it not keep the TT battery up also.

By the way once I got home I found that the 30 amp fuse in the truck was blown for the charge line. I'm buying a 7 way plug tester to make sure that its working.
jcrammell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #2

Another dealer Tech that doesn't have a clue. The battery should charge as long as all fuses (in tow vehicle and on "A" frame) are good.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #3

Just another way to pass the buck.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Site Team

FORD uses microcontrollers in trailer electrical systems

What is the mfr of your TV? If it is a FORD did you install the relay, usually in the glove box, as the mfr/dealers do not install them. It is true, the newer Ford trucks have at least 2 microcontrollers in the charging system that controls the output to the TT. In one of the Ford documents, it is stated that the purpose for the 12Volt trailer connection is NOT for charging, but for supplying 12VDC to the trailer, for the lights. I have the wiring diagrams from Ford that show the microcontrollers in the towing circuit. In the F150 model trucks, like mine (2012), they do not have any microcontrollers in the towing circuit so I can, if I wanted to, add a 8AWG fused wire from the battery to the trailer towing connection. If this is done on the newer computerized models the main controller that is working with the alternator will not know where the additional current is going, as it is not being monitored and is not going to the truck's systems and may trigger a maintenance notification. Not totally sure.

I included some of the pictures for you reading enjoyment. I believe these pictures are for the 2015 F150
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRICAL - FORD Towing circuit - 1.jpg   ELECTRICAL - FORD Towing circuit - 2.jpg   ELECTRICAL - FORD Towing circuit - 3.jpg   ELECTRICAL - FORD Towing circuit - 4.jpg   ELECTRICAL - FORD Towing circuit - 5.jpg  

Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
In the F150 model trucks..If this is done on the newer computerized models the main controller that is working with the alternator will not know where the additional current is going, as it is not being monitored and is not going to the truck's systems and may trigger a maintenance notification. Not totally sure.
I've read of people doing this and have not heard of anything negative. I plan on it myself but have not gotten around to it.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Just make sure your truck is not under warranty as it may void the electrical portion if you have a bumper to bumper plan.
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #7

On newer model F150's, the "charging" circuit is not activated until you "add" the trailer in question to the trucks onboard computer. This charging circuit will only maintain the TT battery so the emergency brake function and fridge, etc will have power while towing. It's not designed to "charge up" a low or dead TT battery.

Older model (pre 2015 IIRC), have to add the relay in the fuse box for things to work.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #8

MY TV is a 2001 Ford F250 with the 7.3 diesel
jcrammell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrammell View Post
MY TV is a 2001 Ford F250 with the 7.3 diesel
Definitely not a newer model, I would google your issue and you should come up with some solutions .
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #10

Question

Here is an answer to someone with a 1999 Ford F-250 from ETrailer.

"On your 1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty the two boxes in the engine compartment are the power distribution box (larger box) and the trailer tow relay block (smaller box) which is attached to it. Open the covers to access the relays and fuses.

You will need to look in your owners manual and locate the Trailer Tow Electric Brake and Trailer Tow Battery Charge fuse locations and insert the 30 amp maxi-fuses (provided) into them.

Also in the owners manual locate the Trailer Tow Backup Lamp Relay and the Trailer Tow Battery Charge Relay locations and insert the relays (provided) into the trailer tow relay block. Put the covers back on the boxes.

With all of the fuses and relays installed you should have full power to your 7-Way connector. I am including a link to the installation instructions on the Tow Ready wiring harness.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-3141.html

Hope this helps.....and I had the same dilemma on a 2014 F-150.
Got the missing relay and fuse inserted and bingo......full lights and full charging.
The odd part of it was the truck was equipped with the "tow package" yet the proper relay and fuse was not included.