Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #1

Unhappy Chemical smells making me sick

We bought our used camper last week and we are preparing for our first trip soon. I admit that I'm a city girl but I've been very excited about trying this camper thing here's my problem; smells bother me and when I was cleaning the toilet today it smelled like chemicals and I started gagging! Is there something I can use in the RV to mask the chemical smell? I don't even know if it is chemicals but there is a smell. I'm beginning to question this whole thing! Sorry this is so weird!
mcfadden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #2

I'm new to this as well, but someone will come along and give you some tips.

2012 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4X4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73 (traded)
2005 Jayco 1207 (second PUP)
1976 Coleman Brandywine (first PUP)
katgar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #3

Sorry to hear.... Used Rv's usually burn off those 'chemical' smells after being used a few times. How old is your 'new' rv? Can you tell us more about your new "used camper" to help the members here know how to help you further? Thanks.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #4

It's a 2004 Feather. It was joy used hardly at all and is immaculate, but the bathroom just sells so chemically.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #5

Try flushing the black tank out real good. I've heard that a good cleaning trick is to fill the black tank about halfway with water and dump a couple of large bags of ice cubes down the toilet. Then go tow it around for a while. The sloshing action of the water as well as the sloshing of the ice cubes with soften and knock loose a lot of residual matter clinging to the tank walls. Then go to a dump station and drain the tank.

BTW, when you flush the toilet, are you allowing about an inch of water to cover the sliding valve after flush completion? That water acts as a vapor barrier and helps keep the smells in the tank and not in the rest of the camper.

On edit: also there are toilet chemicals that have sort of a pine scent to them, somewhat less offensive than other chemicals. I used to sell the stuff when I used to work for a RV dealer part dept. Can't recall the name though.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #6

Honestly... forget about using the chemicals, you don't need them, I use calgon in the black tank, about 2 cups everytime after I dump the black tanks, it helps to make the walls of the tank slick, dumps easier. Chemicals are meant to help break down the solids in your tank, water does the same thing, some people use a cup of tide detergent in both the black tanks and the gray tanks, just to improve the possible smells.

The key to keeping your black tank from stinking is when you dump, make sure you have a way to flush/rinse the tank. There are several methods, one is a tornado flush system installed inside the tank, one is a turbo wand, another as mentioned is dump your ice chests into the toilet to help knock junk off the walls of the tank. You can also buy a clear elbow for dumping that has a water attachment to it, it sprays water back into you black tank, you do this till it runs out clear water (visible via the clear elbow).

There are plenty of methods to try, don't give up yet, what ever you do, don't give up on RV's yet, there is way too much fun to be had.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #7

I too am a bit of a newbie , when we got our new trailer last year we got some chems that are natural and smell like oranges. I'd flush the black tank as suggested with water then add a better smelling chem and flush again, the ice cube trick would probably help knock the junk off the wall. Then fill the toilet with the 1-2 inches of water and leave it, with repeated use the smell will dissipate and you should be able to tolerate it easier. If you still can't stomach the smells, try something to absorb the smell or remove it, like something to remove the skunk smell from a sprayed animal, just a crazy thought I had. Good luck and congrats on your new to you Jayco.
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #8

X2 on the above, especially the ice cube trick and some kind of tank flusher/rinser.

Instead of the commercial chemicals available, I use a homemade solution that really seems to work. In a gallon plastic jug, I mix 8 oz liquid water softener, 8 oz ammonia, 8oz Pine Sol, and 1 cup baking soda. All these are available at grocery stores. To this mixture I add water to fill the rest of the gallon. Then pour about a cup of the final mixture down each drain (kitchen, lavatory, etc), and the rest down the toilet. Has worked for me for a long time - no bad smells ever.

One other thing - when you dump your black tank, be sure that it is at least 2/3 full. If less, the solids tend to stay in the tank.

Hope this helps. Try some of these remedies mentioned by other campers, and if those doesn't do the trick, let us know, and we will try to get your problem resolved another way. But Please, please don't give up on your camper - Flyrotor really nailed it when he says there is way too much fun to miss out on.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #9

What they said ^^^^^

The thing that makes me gag is a nice ripe vault toilet on a steamy Michigan summer day.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #10

Thanks everyone!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #11

If smells bother you, whatever you do... don't use the common blue deodorizers http://www.amazon.com/Thetford-09852...tank+chemicals

I use a mixture I make (calgon water softener, tide, lemon pin-sol) (sry no amounts, just maybe 1/4-1/2 cup each). But I also carry and use when I'm in a rush http://www.amazon.com/Camco-41191-Ul...I1YABDNKE991D7 and that smells nice like oranges. Also if your ceiling fan in the bathroom is on when you flush, it will pull any smells up right past you while your flushing.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
What they said ^^^^^

The thing that makes me gag is a nice ripe vault toilet on a steamy Michigan summer day.
Man...you could have gone all day without saying that!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Man...you could have gone all day without saying that!
Dude really ?!?!? I am a nurse & that made my nose twitch.
Sherman ( the Pomeranian ) he runs the show!!!
2006 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax. aka The RED Tundra !!!!
oejeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #14

Did you see the embedded mental picture as well??
Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
What they said ^^^^^

Unfortunately it doesn't look like we are ever going to get one of those steamy days.
Locky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky66 View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't look like we are ever going to get one of those steamy days.
I guess in this case...good.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #17

We are new to the TT world as well. Great tips everyone!! Thanks for posting!!
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote