Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #31

Good thing I'm a truck driver and already have a CDL and all endorsements. So I can pull my little 19 foot TT anywhere. Do I need to put placards out for my propane? LOL.

lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #32

Well aside from all the confusion of the local DPS office, it sounds like in other cities close by this is fairly well known. After doing a lot of reading, it sounds like Livingston, TX issues lots of these Class A Exempt licenses. I guess that's due to there being a lot of RVs in that area. So when I spoke to the DPS agent in Austin, I asked if I could take the written test locally and perhaps the driving test elsewhere. (I don't want to be the guinea pig with the local office)... He told me that was permitted so today, I completed the written test and passed, thankfully. Now all I have to do is get the new trailer and take the test. If anyone wants more info on the written test, let me know.

My SIL is a truck driver so if I need someone to get me there, I'm sure he'd help. But from everything others are saying, they don't ask nor do they want to know how you got there. Sounds like they assume you drove yourself and they look the other way.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
3 - that's a great link. Thanks for posting it!

Here's an excerpt out of the Texas Driver Handbook (Sept 14) regarding RVs and special license requirements:

Classified Driver Licenses

Class A, B, C, and M driver licenses are issued to individuals who are exempt or not required to obtain a commercial driver license (CDL).
Individuals who operate any of the following vehicles are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license because the type of vehicle driven still meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle. For more information on what is considered a commercial motor vehicle, please see the special requirements section in the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook.

1. A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle necessary to the preservation of life or property or the execution of emergency governmental functions whether operated by an employee of a political subdivision or by a volunteer fire fighter.

2. A military vehicle or a commercial motor vehicle when operated for military purposes by military personnel, members of the Reserves and National Guard on active duty including personnel on full- time National Guard duty, personnel on part-time training, and National Guard military techni- cians.

3. A recreational vehicle driven for personal use.

4. A vehicle that is owned, leased, or controlled by an air carrier, and is driven or operated exclusively by an employee of the air carrier only on the premises of an airport, on service roads to which the public does not have access.

5. A vehicle used exclusively to transport seed cotton modules or cotton burrs. 6. A vehicle:
a. Controlled and operated by a farmer;
b. Used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from a farm; c. Not used in the operation of a common or contract motor carrier; or
d. Used within 150 miles of the personís farm.

Class A Driver License

A Class A driver license permits a person to drive:

1. Any vehicle or combination of vehicles described under a Class B or Class C driver license; and

2. A vehicle or combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs.

A Class A driver license does not permit a person to drive a motorcycle or moped.

I underlined the parts that I felt were pertinent to this topic. I think that pretty much confirms what I've been fearing.
It's that exceptions to the exemptions that gets you.Yes you need a class A non-CDL here in Tx.Had mine since going dually 2years ago.
The driving test will be pulling your RV demonstrating turns and lane changes.be sure and do the walk around before moving.You will also have to demonstrate "parallel parking" by backing and moving rv to the right in a specified distance.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
It's that exceptions to the exemptions that gets you.Yes you need a class A non-CDL here in Tx.Had mine since going dually 2years ago.
The driving test will be pulling your RV demonstrating turns and lane changes.be sure and do the walk around before moving.You will also have to demonstrate "parallel parking" by backing and moving rv to the right in a specified distance.
Thanks Poohbear... when you say "do the walk around", do you mean the rig inspection? I read quite a bit about how you're supposed to check your tires, lug nuts for rust, tread, etc. plus check the lights, and mechanical components to look for safety issues before starting off. Any additional info you have would be most appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-02-2015, 06:40 AM   #35

I don't have my handbook but there is something about a visual check before departing.check mirrors,walk around making sure no obstacles ,stuff .the drive will be manuvers to make sure you swing out to make right turns on a small intersection,lane changes.I had to make a left from a stop sign crossing a 4 lane + turnlane hwy and the trick is to NOT turn into the turn lane but 1st lane then merge to outside lane.Be sure and set parking brake before and at the end of test,that's a gotcha.It wasnt as hard a test as I thought it would be
Old 05-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #36

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use the turn lane for entering a roadway anyway. The purpose is to turn when exiting that roadway. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #37

Just finished passing my Class A Exempt driving test. I did mine in Fredericksburg, Tx. Been pulling the Northpoint since last January so I "thought" I had it covered. My tester agreed that it was the ugliest parallel parking job ever. I even practiced. But I practiced parallel parking to the left. Test was to the right. Did a good job backing up about 50 feet. I also did not come to a complete stop at a stop sign. Nervous I guess. BUT I PASSED! You can go on the DPS site and schedule the driving test. Not all DPS offices do Class A driver skills tests. Written test is taken mostly from Chapter 14 of handbook. 20 questions. Livingston, Tx., is popular cuz there is a large contingent of "Escapee" RV members there. They know what's required.

2017 Northpoint 377RLBH
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually, 4x4
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use the turn lane for entering a roadway anyway. The purpose is to turn when exiting that roadway. Thanks for the heads up.
Folks here in East Tx think that turn lane is the express lane
I forgot to add that those Exceptions to the Exemptions are found in the CDL handbook