Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2015, 05:16 AM   #1

Class A License?!?

Here in Texas, I've learned that if you're towing a trailer that has a GVWR of greater than 10K lbs and your GCVWR is in excess of 26,001 lbs, you're supposed to have a Class A (non CDL) license. So far, this hasn't been a problem for me but we're upgrading to a larger trailer so it will put me over.

My TV is a 2015 Ford F350 DRW with a GVWR of 14000 lbs. Our new FW has a GVWR of 15,500.

So how many of you guys/gals have a Class A license? Can you tell me whether there's a driving test and what it consists of? Also, any other info you can share...

Thanks!

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:47 AM   #2

In Illinois "recreational vehicle operators" are exempt from CDL requirements.

Commercial Driver's License
jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:58 AM   #3

Quahog - Looks like in Texas you are exempt also for recreational vehicles. So keep truckin and safe camping!

TxDPS - Commercial Driver License
Old 04-17-2015, 06:00 AM   #4

I just went through all this checking and in doing so had 2 responses from the DMV. In NYS a class D license can have an endorsment of R which covers any RV 26,001 and over or 40ft in length. I have a B CDL and that as well as A superceeds the endorsement.

There are no Non CDL class licenses in NYS.

Offense: Driving out of class ticket, possible suit if you were to really do some damage.

You can take the test in your rig, but you need to have a legal driver take you there or it's probably an auto fail like here in NY. Hardest thing is the parallel parking and don't hit the curb also auto fail. Best thing to do is a pull up if you are going to hit the curb so it's only a minus and not an auto fail.

As these units get larger I am sure that stricter enforcement is only a few years away.

Other option is to move to another state not requiring it and your good.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfowler View Post
Quahog - Looks like in Texas you are exempt also for recreational vehicles. So keep truckin and safe camping!

TxDPS - Commercial Driver License
Found this though while looking at your link.

Recreational vehicles driven for personal use (although a CDL is not required, individuals may need to obtain a Class A driver license),

Authorizes an individual to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles:

Not described under a Class B or Class C driver license
With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C

So he may still need to obtain his class A..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post

Recreational vehicles driven for personal use (although a CDL is not required, individuals may need to obtain a Class A driver license),

With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C

I copied this from the Texas department of Public Safety webiste (TxDPS - Classes of Driver Licenses):

Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:
  • Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use
  • Some farmers who meet certain criteria
  • Operators of cotton-seed modules or cotton burrs
  • A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle operator
  • Military vehicle operators
  • Vehicles owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier
So it doesn't look like a Class A is needed. Only if you operate one of the above and recreational vehicles is not listed. So you are good to go.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Here in Texas, I've learned that if you're towing a trailer that has a GVWR of greater than 10K lbs and your GCVWR is in excess of 26,001 lbs, you're supposed to have a Class A (non CDL) license. So far, this hasn't been a problem for me but we're upgrading to a larger trailer so it will put me over.

My TV is a 2015 Ford F350 DRW with a GVWR of 14000 lbs. Our new FW has a GVWR of 15,500.

So how many of you guys/gals have a Class A license? Can you tell me whether there's a driving test and what it consists of? Also, any other info you can share...

Thanks!
Quah, you got me wondering so I read up on the link provided by Jay. The way I read it is you do not need a CDL or even a class A license.

"Not described under a Class B or Class C driver license
With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C"

Note it is GVWR not GCWR. My SRW GVWR is 11400 and I see yours is 14000.
I think we're both good.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post

Guys, thanks for all the input but I am still not so sure. Tex1961 found the same stuff I was researching earlier. The way I read that, I will have to have a Class A but not a CDL. Recreational Vehicles are exempted from the CDL requirement.

Guess I'll call the DMV today and find out for sure.

p.s. I forgot to mention that what got me thinking about this was a comment Jayco made when I asked them how long it would take for my new rig to be delivered from the plant to the dealer. The lady told me that a trailer of this size required a CDL so that might take up to two weeks.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
snip

Other option is to move to another state not requiring it and your good.
I'm a Yankee transplant of 33 years and I'll likely die in Texas!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

The way I read it too is that you "may" require the NON CDL class A since your trailer is well above 10K GVWR. Again, like in NY the law is written very vague and not clear. In NYS it makes no mention of trailer or TV combinations, just the GCWR at 26,001 or over 40ft for recreational vehicles.

Best to call like your doing and ask based on your specifics. Then call again to confirm the answer.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 04-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #11

Quahog, Post back here what you find out after you call DOT; I'm interested to know what the trooper says.

It's my current understanding that you only need special endorsement if you're hauling commercial. RV haulers dragging trailers out to the dealers would qualify as "commercial", so I could easily see them needing special endorsements. But for the average Joe hauling a personal RV? I dunno, would be good to know....

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Quahog, Post back here what you find out after you call DOT; I'm interested to know what the trooper says.

It's my current understanding that you only need special endorsement if you're hauling commercial. RV haulers dragging trailers out to the dealers would qualify as "commercial", so I could easily see them needing special endorsements. But for the average Joe hauling a personal RV? I dunno, would be good to know....
Weight and length seem to be the final determining factors when it comes to "personnal use vehicles" in some states. Your right on the commercial hauling endorsement with interstate commerce.

I lean to the CMA side of the argument only because everyone is sue happy these days and if for some reason I was found as the cause of an accident it could get ugly.

Again you will probably get 2 answers as this is not a common question for the DMV due to the lack of people who know it or require it due to their weights.

The pusher guys most likely need this more than the few of us with 5'ers in this class. Although that number is climbing due to the sizes increasing and the TV ratings increasing.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 04-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
The way I read it too is that you "may" require the NON CDL class A since your trailer is well above 10K GVWR. Again, like in NY the law is written very vague and not clear. In NYS it makes no mention of trailer or TV combinations, just the GCWR at 26,001 or over 40ft for recreational vehicles.

Best to call like your doing and ask based on your specifics. Then call again to confirm the answer.
LOL - I just said the same thing to Tex1961 in a PM. I did call and after quite a bit of off-line discussion, the agent came back and said I need a non-CDL Class A license. Argh

Old 04-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #14

The really weird thing is that after telling me I didn't need a CDL (which I already knew) but that I did need a Class A, he referred me to the CDL handbook, Chapter 14 for info on the testing required. I'm going to read through that to see if it makes sense and I am planning to call them again and see if I get the same answer twice.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #15

Here is link for state by state summary. It matches my NYS DMV info that I confirmed by phone and TX seems to be what we interpret so possibly all are close, but you still confirm with your local DMV.

RV Driver's License Requirements

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 04-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #16

3 - that's a great link. Thanks for posting it!

Here's an excerpt out of the Texas Driver Handbook (Sept 14) regarding RVs and special license requirements:

Classified Driver Licenses

Class A, B, C, and M driver licenses are issued to individuals who are exempt or not required to obtain a commercial driver license (CDL).
Individuals who operate any of the following vehicles are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license because the type of vehicle driven still meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle. For more information on what is considered a commercial motor vehicle, please see the special requirements section in the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook.

1. A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle necessary to the preservation of life or property or the execution of emergency governmental functions whether operated by an employee of a political subdivision or by a volunteer fire fighter.

2. A military vehicle or a commercial motor vehicle when operated for military purposes by military personnel, members of the Reserves and National Guard on active duty including personnel on full- time National Guard duty, personnel on part-time training, and National Guard military techni- cians.

3. A recreational vehicle driven for personal use.

4. A vehicle that is owned, leased, or controlled by an air carrier, and is driven or operated exclusively by an employee of the air carrier only on the premises of an airport, on service roads to which the public does not have access.

5. A vehicle used exclusively to transport seed cotton modules or cotton burrs. 6. A vehicle:
a. Controlled and operated by a farmer;
b. Used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from a farm; c. Not used in the operation of a common or contract motor carrier; or
d. Used within 150 miles of the person’s farm.

Class A Driver License

A Class A driver license permits a person to drive:

1. Any vehicle or combination of vehicles described under a Class B or Class C driver license; and

2. A vehicle or combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs.

A Class A driver license does not permit a person to drive a motorcycle or moped.

I underlined the parts that I felt were pertinent to this topic. I think that pretty much confirms what I've been fearing.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #17

I'm starting to get dizzy from thinking about this.

Qua, your post from the handbook clearly states GCWR. The link below has the same language except it says GVWR. The same link has a description of the CDL Class A which reads pretty much the same except it specifies GCWR.

Reading your reference makes me think a Class A is required however the link below makes me think it is not. The difference being the GVWR vs GCWR language.

TxDPS - Classes of Driver Licenses

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #18

Here is the official law from the Texas transportation code. Hope this clears up the confusion between your book and the DMV website!:

Sec. 521.081. CLASS A LICENSE. A Class A driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; or
(2) a combination of vehicles that has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, if the gross vehicle weight rating of any vehicle or vehicles in tow is more than 10,000 pounds.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Based upon the OP you would need a class A.

Good luck!
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I'm starting to get dizzy from thinking about this.

Qua, your post from the handbook clearly states GCWR. The link below has the same language except it says GVWR. The same link has a description of the CDL Class A which reads pretty much the same except it specifies GCWR.

Reading your reference makes me think a Class A is required however the link below makes me think it is not. The difference being the GVWR vs GCWR language.

TxDPS - Classes of Driver Licenses
Redhorse, There is an "or" statement that then goes on to state GCWR for vehicles towed.

An A class is a split rig or straight above 26,000. Now with Quahog's specific combo setup he needs to take the 2 GVWR's and add them. That gives him his GCWR which superceeds the GVWR since he is now 2 vehicles.

The GVWR is only an agrument when it's one vehicle, i.e. motorcoach. Anytime there is a second vehicle or trailer involved it goes to GCWR.

To your point, there are many resources for the info and some is very vague and left to interpretation, leaving some confused people. I called my local DMV 3x's and got 2 answers orginally and went with the one I got 2X's.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 04-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #20

Red, I'm sorry to be making you dizzy. However, after talking to DPS in Austin and reading more in the Texas Driver Handbook and DPS' website, I've come to the conclusion that at least in my case, this is indeed required. I'm guessing that based on the GVWR of your truck and the >10k lb GVWR of your trailer, you're in the same boat. Sorry dude.

klpoppe and 3, I concur.