Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2021, 08:39 PM   #1

Class A or Fifth Wheel?

We are looking at an upgrade to a class A or Fiver. Lots of experienced knowledgeable owners here, so I thought I'd put it out there....

How did you all make the decision to go either way ?
Jacjayco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:45 PM   #2

My meta analysis a couple years ago fell along the lines of how long will you be in one spot, the longer you stay the more likely the person has a 5er.

The second factor was what the other vehicle (toad or TV) would be used for.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:27 AM   #3

Decisions

I've had both, retired with my 3rd 5er. Either has their advantages. Going down the road in a MH it's nice to have the DW make a sandwich or have the ability for her to use the bathroom.
MH-
It has to be registered and insured.
It has to have more maintenance, oil changes,etc.
It's not convenient to sight see or run errands unless you pull a toad, (more maintenance, registration and insurance.)
You can pull a trailer pretty much anywhere.
FW-
In MI, permanent registration, plate it once and done. Insurance is cheaper.
No engine / drive train maintenance.
TV can be used to run errands, sight see.
You can pull a trailer in some states, I have a recreational tandem endorsement on my drivers license.
A bit harder to handle, backing up mostly. Don't even try backing a rec tandem!
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 04:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
We are looking at an upgrade to a class A or Fiver. Lots of experienced knowledgeable owners here, so I thought I'd put it out there....

How did you all make the decision to go either way ?
MONEY
I had to have a truck for work so that was not an additional expense of buying a toad.
A decent new 37' Motor home was 3 to 4 times more expensive than a comparable 5th wheel.
Maintenance- No drive train in a fifth wheel
Granted a motor home would be a lot nicer traveling down the road.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 04:29 PM   #5

Been through 5th, TT, and now settled into class C. Its mostly personal opinion, desire, and needs. Settled into class C (motorhome), mostly because enjoy the all in one. Dont leave out TT consideration, I personally found TT a better fit over 5TH for us when we towed.

If you already have a capable truck, thats a big consideration. Note 5TH loose most truck bed storage capacity while in travel. Think about the 5TH step up into the front, and how much space that occupies. The step up is irritating to many.

Motorhomes are generally more "narrow" at camp and not as open. Because the slide design needs to provide space both while in travel as well as at camp; they generally dont slide out as much and thus dont provide as must "wide" space.

Will add a note on what we encountered in regards to warranty repair with "motorhome". If you need warranty repair/work on the cab/drivetrain side (as opposed to camper side); it can be difficult to find a dealer that will work on "motorhomes". Thought I would just go to local Ford dealer; no, dont work on motorhomes. Then extended my perimeter out more miles; same, no. Had to settle on the closest big city dealer that works on large trucks. The reason is either they dont have a bay physically large enough for the unit (and mine is just a mid size 26ft), or they just have a policy of not working on "motorhomes", like its a bad word.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Money and logic: We have a paid for 5th wheel that we absolutely love and a paid for 2017 PSD to tow it with. I am almost 80 and statistics will not let me get rid of it all and go into debt for my wife to be left with someday!

We have had 3 fifth wheels, 1 travel trailer and 1 class A. Loved them all and had a great time in them all.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:37 PM   #7

We went thru the same exercise as you are going thru now. We had a TT and have had a handful of them during the last several years.
The rv resort we stay for a couple of months in the winter has a pretty even split between people with motorhomes and 5er's. Most of the people here are snowbirds and stay for several months. We talked to lots of them to learn the ins and outs.
In the end we chose a class A. The main reasons were that you need a very expensive truck to pull a 5er of any size. Right now truck prices are insane. A good 5er also is pricey.
The other reason for me was the ease in setting up and unhooking.
Good luck with your choice!
Jacjayco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:57 PM   #8

Everyone has their reasons for what they have. We've had everything from a pop-up to a class A diesel pusher and our experiences with them have been good and bad. The worst was a gas motorhome which had major drivability issues which I just couldn't fix. We only kept it 2 years. We had a dp for 7 years and enjoyed it but the expense of owning it was beginning to outweigh the fun.

We have owned at least 6 fifth wheels in our 40 plus years of rv'ing and that is where my comfort level lies. I have always owned a truck of some sort and wouldn't be without one so it makes better sense for us to be in a fifth wheel. I probably wouldn't need a one ton diesel to pull my bass boat if we didn't have a fifth wheel but it's still a truck I enjoy driving.

There are some driving conveniences with a motorhome but we tend to limit ourselves to 300 to 450 miles per day and our comfortable truck makes it pretty easy. We just pack snacks, a lunch and drinks. Set up used to be a big advantage for a motorhome but a fifth wheel with auto level really helps narrow the gap. I know folks say a motorhome for traveling and a fifth wheel for staying but in my experience it's pretty much a wash when you factor in hooking up a toad. We've taken multiple trips with some friends who have a motorhome and frequently I am hooked up and ready to go before he has his car hitched.

It all boils down to what you like and what fits.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:22 PM   #9

We had a small hybrid for a couple of years before upgrading. The Bride leaned towards MH and I to a 5th. My logic is you have a large, expensive engine (we were thinking class A) that only has a single use; it pushes your house down the road. Get to a CG and set up and discover you’re low on your favorite beverage, want to visit a local restaurant or tourist attraction. You need Uber, a toad or a rental. I drove the 350 to the office when I wasn’t working from the house or visiting clients. It’s also transported 1/2 yards of sand and crushed rock to my house and countless other loads of “stuff”. Few years back I was having this same conversation with the owner of a nice coach and his point was: “it’s dark, cold and raining as you roll into the CG, all I have to do is park it at my site and push a button.”
At the end of the discussion the Bride came around to my way of thinking.
Our 5th is 39’ and 13,000#, has 3 slides and we find it roomy and comfy plus we don’t give up any space to a power plant or cab area.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:16 PM   #10
Site Team

Only once in my camping career have I pulled into a cg after dark. It was a disaster!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:22 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Only once in my camping career have I pulled into a cg after dark. It was a disaster!

We have done that more than once but generally it is a "pull in, don't unhook, don't hook up, run off of battery and on-board water. I might hook up 120 to run the microwave, but we are gone by 8AM the next morning. It is a hit and run.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote