Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #1

Cleaning A/C condenser

Anybody here ever check and clean their rooftop A/C condenser coils? Seems like an annual back blow with an air nozzle wouldn't be a bad idea. One could check for wasp nests, etc. while your in there. How about it??
Old 07-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #2

I usually spray mine with a can of coil cleaner available from HD or Lowes at least once a year and besides that just rince it out real good anytime I clean the roof. About every 2-3 years I like to replace the AC to roof seal and while the cover is off they get a good washing. In all the years I've owned campers this has seemed to work out pretty well.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:27 AM   #3

To replace the seal do you remove the 4 long bolts (the ones that some folks have found to already be loose), lift the unit off the hole and put a new gasket on?
Old 07-17-2011, 04:19 AM   #4
Site Team

Sounds like good maintanance. I have not yet checked that.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #5

That's correct. It's best to have a couple sets of hands when you tackle this. At least on my 98 Jayco, the power cord wasn't long enough to slide the unit completely out of the way. Once I took the 4 bolts out, I could roll the unit on it's side and while the extra set of hands held onto it, I would remove, clean and replace the gasket. Once your done with that, you can set the AC back on the new gasket and tighten everything back up.
It may be somewhat overkill to some, but was worth the peace of mind to me.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
Site Team

Wow, in the 11 seasons I've camped in my TT, I've never noticed any real build up of crap in the A/C condensor that would require cleaning (and, yes, I do periodically inspect). However, everybody's situation is different and for some folks, it may be a required periodic maintenance procedure, especially if you're operating the A/C in a dusty environment.

I have a heat pump (my third) for my heating system at home and I've never cleaned the condensor coils in the 35 years I've lived there. But, then again...

What I think is more important is protecting the condensor vanes as they can be easily damaged by tree limbs and hail. Some camping friends of ours suffered severe damage to their A/C condensor vanes when a hailstorm hit.

For anyone who has had damage occur to their condensor vanes, they do make a fin straightener tool (Robinair 18403 for example) but you have to know how many fins per inch you have on your condensor so you get the right one.

On many A/C units the condensor fins are completely exposed. My Coleman Mach III's were and I installed a Fin-Guard to protect them. Years later, when my A/C housing cracked, I replaced it with one from Maxx/Air that had a condensor grille already built in.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #7

cleaning your ac whether on the RV or your home is really good for the life of your unit.Its my belief that I never have repaired/serviced a clean ac except the new one I am installing,its what i do to buy fuel to go rv'ing.
Never use any cleaning agent that has ammonia or chlorine in it as will corrode the fins.I use an alkaline based cleaner & a pump sprayer and there is also an acid based but it does burn if you get on you.Every condenser i work on gets at least a flush with a special nozzle ,real small opening,you can get at any hardware store.Dont use a pressure washer.
A dirty condenser makes the "head pressure "rise too high,you lose capacity and tha amp draw goes way up{high electric bill}.Its also the #1 cause of condenser fan motor failure.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 01:36 PM   #8

Filters Work Also

Although this OP was a few years ago I thought I'd add what I am going to be using. Based on how well this product worked in my industrial paint shop career I'm going to be velcroing this to my air conditioner inlets and changing when necessary. I should point out we are in a permanent site and don't tow our Pinnacle 36RLWS so I can't vouch for Velcro attachment in the hot sun while towing. BUT when parked any pre-filtering is guaranteed to save grief from frequent coil cleaning. Just cut a new piece of filter and change it out. Best of luck to everyone on whatever maintenance choices you make. https://www.amazon.com/25-Filter-Pol...96KYKZGK&psc=1
PipeFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 02:21 PM   #9

This should be done once a year before the AC season begins. You will do better if you watch one of the many youtube videos showing the procedure in great detail. You might even want to watch more than one to get more useful ideas.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Anybody here ever check and clean their rooftop A/C condenser coils? Seems like an annual back blow with an air nozzle wouldn't be a bad idea. One could check for wasp nests, etc. while your in there. How about it??
I've never had the cover off of my rooftop unit. 12 years later, it still blows chilly air. Maybe I should take a look.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Keeping an eye on the condenser coils is definitely a good idea. Depending on what’s flying around in the air they could get a build up pretty quick.
PS: glad to run into another IH guy!
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:17 PM   #12

I’ve cleaned both coils on mine every year. Part of my rooftop inspection for sealant cracking, and loose screws, etc. Once I close up the sheet metal cover I use the foil tape to seal the seams. I also check the roof seal and the mounting bolts for tightness, then replace the plastic cover. Thought everybody did that…

https://www.rvcamptravel.com/everyth...-conditioners/

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:07 AM   #13

Link to a good video on cleaning the AC coils.

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/how-t...m_medium=email
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote