Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #1

Clogged black tank

We just wrapped up our 2nd outing. We have already dumped our black tank once so I know how it should go. Today when dumping we did not get that initial rush of liquids when pulling the valve open. We have a clear elbow and the flow looked more like it does when it's nearly empty. DH rocked the bumper to see if that would help but it didn't. We were in a rush so we left it alone but now it's still 2/3 full-ish. What would be the best plan of attack?
SomersIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #2

It's a 2007 23b hybrid if that matters.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #3

Are you relying on your sensors or have you really took a light and looked down inside? Lots of new owners have not paid the price of warring with those idiot lights.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #4

My sensors are useless this far. I've never seen it at E... I've seen 1/3 after we dumped the first time. But I pointed a flashlight down and there is definitely lots of liquid down there. Just seeing the difference in flow made me assume we have a clog. There was no initial rush when pulling the valve.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #5

Have you encountered that dreaded "poop pile" that stacks up at outlet of tank? That comes from lack to water and lots of paper. When it dries, its a problem to clear. Other than that, the clean out valve may be stuck or not connected. Most of the handles screw into the valve, and we twist them when we pull and push in and out. You could start by taking a long rod and stir thing up. Other times, it takes the force of a water hose to break things up!
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #6

Are you using RV Paper? Also a treatment in your tank will help break the solids down. Those dreaded wipes are also a no no, as are que tips, they do not dissolve. There is no easy answer to breaking up a clog once formed. You may be able to add water and drive your RV, it may help to agitate the tank and break the blockage. If you have a black tank flush, be sure to always use that after each dump, they do work.

Good Luck...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #7

Try Ice cubes in your black tank half full of water while travelling and empty at the sani station. This will help break up the solids. I also have a turbo wand that I attach on my hose at home and stick it down thru the toilet by turning the pump off and opening toilet waste gate with the foot pedal to flush the tank.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:00 AM   #8
Site Team

I would add about 10 gallons of water before you leave home and let it slosh around on a drive to your next outing. Then try dumping again when you arrive. The tank needs water and more water and should be full or almost full before you empty it. Also refill it and let it drain again.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote