Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

Co/lp gas detector

This morning at 4am, Kitty’s Westie woke me to go outside. Somewhat aggravated at the dog, I proceeded to the backdoor letting the dog out. Shortly thereafter, when the dog did not return, I went outside to hurry things up. I found the dog standing on the deck, ears perked, turning her head side to side a trait all Westies do. At this point, I heard an electronic “beep”. Thinking I may have been mistaking and still asleep, I waited. About 30 seconds passed as sure nuff, “beep”. As I investigated, it became apparent the “beep” was coming from the RV parked in the RV shed. Without going into the RV, I determined it must be the smoke detector battery and thus returned to bed knowing it would wait until later.

When I did arise, and with 9volt battery in hand, I went to the RV. I entered, found the smoke detector, replaced the battery and as I was exiting, “beep”. I discovered the “beep” was not caused by the smoke detector, but the CO/LP gas detector. After sorting through the reams of paperwork one gets with a new RV, I finally found the owner’s manual for the CO/LP GAS detector. Following the instructions in the manual, I discovered the "BEEP" was due to the detector reaching its “End of Life” time after approximately 5 years of service and would have to be replaced. No problem I thought. I went on line, found the replacement and was SHOCKED at the price. $123.20.

I don't know why I'm telling you this, I guess I just wanted you to know.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #2

Shorty I have a different but some what the same story. I also heard a distant beep and thought it was from a neighbors house. I went back in the house and forgot about it. The next morning I was going to my shop, next to my rv carport and heard that same beep. The closer I got, the louder the beep became and I knew it was from the rv. When I opened the door I was almost knocked down by the propane smell. Even though this was , for us, an expensive tt, it did not come with an electronic lighting stove, which our old Jayco had.n When exiting the trailer the last time I must have accidentally bumped a burner control. I leave both vents open. I try not to think what would have happened if I had been smoking when I opened that door!!! Lesson learned. Now when I exit I will check that stove as my last too do. Gotta get those lp tanks filled before we head out this year.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote