Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2020, 09:19 PM   #1

Coach electrical problem

Anybody please help
2019 jayco jay flight baja 145b
Was using inverter off of battery to run my coach( i know pretty stupid)
Everything was working great for about two hrs then inverter died, and so
Did my whole coach everthing works when running generator. Question
Did i fry my battery or a fuse? If fuse where do i look. Thank you.
Dry camping dont have test meter.
Dyerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #2

Your batteries are dead. If you run your generator long enough they might charge up.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #3

I would recommend you have the battery tested after fully recharging it.

While that is going on look up some battery basics on how they work, care and feeding in the search bar above. Lots of good YouTubes on batteries.
I would invest in a multi-meter for future use and a battery monitor. That can be as simple as a plug in one that tells you the voltage of the battery at any time and plugs into the cigarette lighter type socket Or a wired in one that gives more info but is more expensive and needs some wiring .

Every time you drop your battery below 12.5 volts you cut its capacity and life. Draining below that will send you to the battery store.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:44 AM   #4

Welcome Aboard!

Lots of questions and thoughts, sounds like your batteries might have been discharged to a point that the inverter did a system shutdown.

What do you have for batteries? Just the simple group 24 dual purpose battery that came with the TT?

What size inverter are you using? What were you powering off the inverter?

I agree, most likely you just drained the batteries to a point that the inverter shut down. A good multimeter is your friend. While learning your rig, it is well worth noting what you have been using and how long to discharge the battery. This will give you an idea how long you can run things before you need to recharge. Or helps you determine how big of a battery bank you need.

Battery maintenance is important. If you have the cheap battery that came with the camper, they require a little maintenance. Basically check the fluid levels once in a while, and top them off as needed. ONLY use DISTILLED water, nothing else, or you will dramatically shorten the battery life.

Don't know what battery you have. What every the amp hour listed on the lead cell battery, you can draw about 50% of that out of the battery, before it is considered discharged. So if your battery is listed at 64 amps, you can use about 30 amps. So lets say all of your led lamps in your TT pull, say 1.5 amps, and you leave the lights on. Your battery will be discharged in 20 hours (30/1.5=20hrs). I would not be surprised your inverter was pulling 15 amps. So 30/15=2 hours, which seems about right.

I do not follow RogerR's rule of don't discharge below 12.5 volts. I try never to drop below 12.1 volts. I have many times, been below 12 volts. With good maintenance and care, you can get 8+ years out of a cheap battery. I hit 8.5 years with my old set of batteries in my current TT. Last boat battery made it about 4 years. It was not treated as well.

Inverters waste a lot of power, converting from 12VDC to 120VAC. So having an inverter sized correctly for the load is wise.

Being everything worked with the generator, does not surprise me. A completely dead battery will take many hours to recharge. For me, with my 100+ amp hr battery, it takes about 2 hours to charge back up from 12.2 volts to 12.7 volts when on shore power or generator.

Hopes this helps

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyerdog View Post
Anybody please help
2019 jayco jay flight baja 145b
Was using inverter off of battery to run my coach( i know pretty stupid)
Everything was working great for about two hrs then inverter died, and so
Did my whole coach everthing works when running generator. Question
Did i fry my battery or a fuse? If fuse where do i look. Thank you.
Dry camping dont have test meter.
Salesman switch must be in the "IN USE" position at all times except when in storage. that will keep the battery charged.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote