Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2022, 11:02 AM   #1
MM2

Cold water sulfer smell

The cold water side of my bathroom sink has a strong sulfer smell. None of the other outlets (shower, kitchen) smell. Just the bathroom sink. Ideas?
MM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:18 AM   #2

There's a few reasons that 'could be'. Try this first. Draw some cold water into a paper cup from the suspect faucet. Go to another sink that hasn't smelled previously and pour the water into the sink drain. Smell it. If it doesn't smell, you most likely have something in the other drain giving you the odor when triggered by the cold water.

Most, but not all campgrounds have a water source that I consider suspect. I've dealt with wells and ponds most of my life as a source of potable water and because of that, I will not ever drink water from a campground. Wells can, and many do, carry bacteria that are fortified by iron and some by sulfur. Then there's the manganese that is also a smell and contaminant. There are filter media that deal with all of these, but I've yet to find one that's portable for campsite use.

Here's an article that may help you find your trouble source: https://www.mrkitchenfaucets.com/wat...in-one-faucet/

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:35 AM   #3

My suggestion is that if you haven't sanitized the fresh water tank and your water lines lately, now we be a good time to do so. If the smell continues then I would consider the source of the water is the cause and then consider how long you will be there as if you will be somewhere else soon then the issue may not occur with a different water source. ~CA
Old 02-28-2022, 11:37 AM   #4
MM2

Thanks for the reply and info. I thought it was the drain at first. The water from that faucet stinks, the drain does not.
Water from the faucet in a cup smells.
MM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 01:41 PM   #5

X2, sanitize your fresh system. With my RV if I let it sit between trips for 3 weeks or so the water can get a funky smell. Also, as stated, water quality and mineral content can vary widely between campgrounds. Another possibility is certain water minerals may interact with a water heater anode rod and give a sulfur type smell on the hot water side.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM2 View Post
The cold water side of my bathroom sink has a strong sulfer smell. None of the other outlets (shower, kitchen) smell. Just the bathroom sink. Ideas?
We have had the same smell with ours but it has been more noticeable more on the hot water side rather than the cold side. Atwood even mentioned how to flush the water heater with an unpleasant smell. The following is an excerpt from their liture on the subject: "A rotten egg odor (hydrogen sulfide) may be produced when the electro galvanic action of the cladding material releases hydrogen from the water. if sulfur is present in the water supply the two will combine and produce an unpleasant smell."
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:16 PM   #7

Florida water sometimes has that smell but the water is getting better. We also use water filter. Every summer I fill the hot water tank with vinegar and let it sit in it overnight then flush it. From the pump I run a. This helps save the water heater. My heater was replaced after 15 years just to be safe.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote