Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #1

Cold weather/climate care

Greetings all, we just purchased and took delivery of our brand new White Hawk 25BHS. Enclosed underbelly and Glacier package. We live in Alaska, and I love to hunt, fish and generally enjoy the outdoors. The last RV I owned was a Komfort Lite 5th wheel and I lived in Nevada then, that was ten years ago. It worked great for my hunting and camping needs though I did have to put a lift on it for ground clearance. Something I can tell I wont have to worry about with this new rig.
I know most of the common sense stuff about cold weather storage and camping regarding winterizing and such. I am looking for any tips or tricks others may have used or know of. I know things have changed a lot over the years. Living here in Alaska, I can see myself out on a Caribou or Moose hunt in a December time frame with temps in negative numbers.

My current intent is to leave the TT winterized and bring a 35 gallon water tank inside with the heater running, and using plenty of RV antifreeze in the grey and black tanks to keep those from freezing. I know there are ways to dry camp during these cold months, I have seen the campers, motor homes and TT's rolling down the highway in the winter.

Thanks,

2015 White Hawk 25BHS
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi with 5 spd, manual trans.
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro Snowmachine
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #2

I wonder if there's an Alaska campers forum out there that is suited to help you?

I have to envy and tip my hat to anyone that can camp in those winter temps!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #3

Winter camping

My buddy and I both use our trailers during hunting season after we winterized. Some things we do:
We don't use black tank. We put a modern porta potty in the shower that has its own flush reservoir. Easy to take holding tank home to dump.

Do use gray tank. Rigged 2 gallon pump sprayer with valve and shower head that we put heated water in for showering. Buddy also has rigged up his faucet in kitchen to pump from a five gallon jug that is isolated from water system .

Read that some people put plastic bubble wrap on their windows inside to help insulate.

We use small generators to run furnace though we prefer to camp with electric hookups when we can find it. It is nice being able to keep trailer somewhat warm while hunting so you don't have to warm it up each time you return.

And of course we both have satellites for evening tv. Can't rough it too much.
yellowdog00 is offline   Reply With Quote