Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Question Coleman grill, propane setup

I'm hoping that you all can make me look knowledgeable about this camping stuff to my hubby. :hihi:

We have the propane line with a quick disconnect on our 5th wheel running to the back of the camper, so a portable grill can be hooked up to the rv's master bottles.

I bought a Coleman Roadtrip LXE grill awhile back (the portable red one on wheels). I'd like to have it setup to that line and get away from using the little green bottles.

Does anyone know what kind of line and/or adapters that I would need to hook this grill up to the propane line?

I assume that the regulator is at the master bottles, so that the regulator that came on the grill shouldn't be used...?

Does anyone have this same grill and use it with this type of setup? Any ideas, suggestions, comments on what I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gone but not forgotten:
2010 Designer 35RLTS and
2002 Dodge Ram Dually, Cummins Diesel
JaybirdDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #2

I have the same grill. The pressure off the camper regulator is too low for the Colman to work properly. I used this adapter and 12' hose to get away from the 1lb tanks. It works well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Prodigy Brake Controller
pjsl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #3

Jaybird designer, I'm afraid that you are out of luck. What pjsl01 says is true. You can use the hose he mentions to connect to the propane tanks at the front of your RV, but NOT to your quick connect. Coleman uses a proprietary connector to its grill, unlike weber or other gas grills. Once you remove the regulator, you can't find any hose to connect to your grill. And if you don't remove the regulator, then your gas pressure is too low after going through two regulators ( the one on your trailer and the one on your grill). There is a thread somewhere on this forum that shows how one guy actually did it, by using an air hose and some clamps...but doing that would be at your own risk.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #4

Sub'd because we have the same grill..
Old 05-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #5

Re: Coleman grill, propane setup

You need a grill with built in control knobs. It will still come with a pressure regulator, remove the "connect to the bbq fitting", buy a 10 foot hose, add a quick disconnect and you are good to go.
jstme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstme1 View Post
You need a grill with built in control knobs. It will still come with a pressure regulator, remove the "connect to the bbq fitting", buy a 10 foot hose, add a quick disconnect and you are good to go.
Have any that you would recommend? Thanks.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrumfield View Post
Any of the Weber grills can be converted. I haven't read any post by people who don't like them.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #8

Well that's a bummer. Thanks pjsl01 and dewey02...I'll seriously consider pjsl01's option. I really love the Coleman grill, so no plans to get a different one. I also thought about just getting one of those 10lb bottles, but the point was to get-away from lugging bottles around. Oh well, no biggie. Thanks for the help!

Gone but not forgotten:
2010 Designer 35RLTS and
Old 05-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #9

Re: Coleman grill, propane setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrumfield View Post
I have a family of 4 that goes out. We bought a huge 3 burner from Costco, HUGE burners, "more power". Bought cast iron top from cabells. Pancakes and bacon in the a.m., anything for dinner
jstme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Jaybird designer, I'm afraid that you are out of luck. What pjsl01 says is true. You can use the hose he mentions to connect to the propane tanks at the front of your RV, but NOT to your quick connect. Coleman uses a proprietary connector to its grill, unlike weber or other gas grills. Once you remove the regulator, you can't find any hose to connect to your grill. And if you don't remove the regulator, then your gas pressure is too low after going through two regulators ( the one on your trailer and the one on your grill). There is a thread somewhere on this forum that shows how one guy actually did it, by using an air hose and some clamps...but doing that would be at your own risk.
There is a way and I have mine plumbed with a quick connect hose that is always on the Coleman grill. You can still get it in the storage bag but it does stick off the back a little more than the wheels. I simply wrap it around and store it. What you need is a 10-12ft male threaded hose quick connect hose with the quick plug on the other end. The brass regulator pipe needs to be removed for the 1# cans. You then need a 1" wide minimum, 1/4" NPT brass nipple to connect the 2 male pipe ends. The key to the connection is the space between the two pipe connections. If you are too close like 3/4" wide the gas will not flow right and your BTU's will not be high enough. Use yellow Teflon tape on the connections too. Later this week I will post some shots when I pull my grill out of storage to better illustrate and confirm the connections. It's been 5 years since I have done this adaption.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
There is a way and I have mine plumbed with a quick connect hose that is always on the Coleman grill. You can still get it in the storage bag but it does stick off the back a little more than the wheels. I simply wrap it around and store it. What you need is a 10-12ft male threaded hose quick connect hose with the quick plug on the other end. The brass regulator pipe needs to be removed for the 1# cans. You then need a 1" wide minimum, 1/4" NPT brass nipple to connect the 2 male pipe ends. The key to the connection is the space between the two pipe connections. If you are too close like 3/4" wide the gas will not flow right and your BTU's will not be high enough. Use yellow Teflon tape on the connections too. Later this week I will post some shots when I pull my grill out of storage to better illustrate and confirm the connections. It's been 5 years since I have done this adaption.
Would love to see how you've done it 3'enough!

Gone but not forgotten:
2010 Designer 35RLTS and
Old 05-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #12

I'd like to see also..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #13

I will get a photo or two up this weekend.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #14

Pics of setup

We're the pics ever posted I don't see them here and I am trying to figure out a solution as well
Campmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #15

I found this old thread because I'm also trying to find the hose/connectors to change over my Nexgrill table top to work with the onboard quickconnection. I believe I've found the correct male plug for the rear of the RV, now to find a 5' hose and the female nut for the bbq. My local Jayco dealer told me to bring the whole thing in and they'd try and work something up.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #16

I bet any local propane dealer can "fix it" or sell you the fitting to connect it up.
What size pipe runs from the regulator to the controls,a simple flare nut/fitting setup would work for connecting the new hose after regulator removed.
I have been looking at a stainlesssteel grill at Lowes that is about $100 to go along with my $15 walmart "4 burger" charcoal grill.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
I bet any local propane dealer can "fix it" or sell you the fitting to connect it up.
What size pipe runs from the regulator to the controls,a simple flare nut/fitting setup would work for connecting the new hose after regulator removed.
I have been looking at a stainlesssteel grill at Lowes that is about $100 to go along with my $15 walmart "4 burger" charcoal grill.
Quick question,is the regulator part of the grill so a small bottle attaches OR is the regulator at the bottle end of a hose which attaches to a big bottle?
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #18

This can be used if you have a grill that the small bottles screws into.Click image for larger version

Name:	fitting.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	9430Click image for larger version

Name:	fitting2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	9431Click image for larger version

Name:	fitting4.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	9432
The quick connect at the back of the trailer has bottle pressure on it. You will have to get that fitting that will connect to the hose at the back of the camper. Buy a 10' to 15' LP hose with 1/4" male or female fittings on the ends and connect the quick connect fitting on one end and the one pound bottle connector on the other end(shown in the picture with a regulator). sorry i don't have the quick connect fitting to show. All these parts can be bought at a hardware store. Jayco or the dealer can tell u what fitting you will need to hook up to the camper end. Hope this helps

2012 F250 Super Duty
2014 Jayco Premier 361REQS
Super Springs
Yamerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #19

If you go to the trailerlife forum there is an entry under the thread of Diy mods that shows, in my opinion, the best mod to connect the Lxe grill to the low pressure quick connect on you TT. I never thought it was possible, so this proves my previous post in this thread WRONG. The guy even made a youtube video that shows how to do it with just a couple of part changes. He gives the youtube link in his post.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #20

Thanks! I will definitely check everything out. We've been out so much lately and have some down time FINALLY...so now is the time to get working on it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
If you go to the trailerlife forum there is an entry under the thread of Diy mods that shows, in my opinion, the best mod to connect the Lxe grill to the low pressure quick connect on you TT. I never thought it was possible, so this proves my previous post in this thread WRONG. The guy even made a youtube video that shows how to do it with just a couple of part changes. He gives the youtube link in his post.

Gone but not forgotten:
2010 Designer 35RLTS and