Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #1

Combining black and grey water

I was just thinking(always dangerous)If you were at a campsite with no sewer hookup and just a dump station on the grounds, your grey water tank would probably fill up fastest from showering. Would it make sense to use the black tank for grey water with some kind of tee connection ? So you wouldnt have to haul the trailer over to the dump station as often? Forgive me if this sounds stupid or I'm missing something. I'm a noob.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #2

Both of my tanks drain from the bottom, so not sure how you would plumb them. I carry a 5 gal pail, and dump into toilet if needed. Not probably on the grey tank filling first.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
Not probably on the grey tank filling first.
Dont you think the shower uses more water than the toilet? Do you mean you drain the gray tank into a pail and dump it into the toilet/black tank?
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #4

Its not a stupid question Rick. For years travel trailers did just have one tank and i'm not sure what the main reason was to go with the two tanks. If somebody where to try and combine them now you would have to have a check valve to prevent the black tank backing up into the gray tank which could lead to water/sewage backing up into your tub.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #5

Correct. Some places allow you to dump grey water on the trees/etc. Usually, my grey is good for 3 to 4 days, and the black will last about a week.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #6

We use a pair of plastic basins in the sink when washing dishes and empty them into the black tank. It takes some of the load off the gray tank and the soapy water seems to be beneficial to the black tank as well.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The thoughts of everyone makes this place so great.........it pleases innovation!
I am sure the reason for a black and grey tank is the difference in bacterial contamination. I think no matter what capacity tanks you have, you always find a way to fill them. A good tote is the solution when the tank is full during camping. You might have to do a few trips to the dump station, so what....lol. At least you don't have to move your unit. Sure you can make a connection with a valve in between the tanks, but then you risk of sewer backing up in your shower tub.
Camping is fun with all the work what goes with it.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #8

Here is a procedure we use to put gray water into the black tank.

Here is a link to a Twist on Valve. Let's say that your grey tank is fuller than your black tank. If all your tanks are at the same level and all plumbed to the same waste outlet connection, you can attach the Twist on Valve to the outlet, making sure the twist on valve is closed. You can open the gray tank and the black tank and grey water will flow into the black tank. Then close the black tank an gray tank valves. When you dump, connect the dump hose to the Twist on Valve, and dump the small amount of waste water behind the Twist on Valve. Remove the Twist on Valve and dump your tanks as normal (this procedure keeps most of the black tank waste from contaminating the Twist on Valve).
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
I carry a 5 gal pail, and dump into toilet if needed. Not probably on the grey tank filling first.
This is exactly what we do when camping for several days at a CG with no hookups or dump station. We can easily get 4-5 nights as a family of 5 while still doing dishes and an occasional shower by dumping grey into black.

If there is a dump station we simply use our barker tote a shuttle grey to the dump station when necessary. In these situations we use our shower/sinks just like we have full hookups.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
We use a pair of plastic basins in the sink when washing dishes and empty them into the black tank. It takes some of the load off the gray tank and the soapy water seems to be beneficial to the black tank as well.
x2.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post

Here is a link to a Twist on Valve. Let's say that your grey tank is fuller than your black tank. If all your tanks are at the same level and all plumbed to the same waste outlet connection, you can attach the Twist on Valve to the outlet, making sure the twist on valve is closed. You can open the gray tank and the black tank and grey water will flow into the black tank. Then close the black tank an gray tank valves. When you dump, connect the dump hose to the Twist on Valve, and dump the small amount of waste water behind the Twist on Valve. Remove the Twist on Valve and dump your tanks as normal (this procedure keeps most of the black tank waste from contaminating the Twist on Valve).
We also use the twist-on-valve but only combine the water in the two gray tanks. We also don't remove the twist-on-valve when dumping (I put a screw through it to prevent from being removed). Just dump the black first, followed by a black tank rinse then the gray tanks. Everybody does it a little differently

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post

If I was going to do it this is the way I would do it. Easy, quick, and can go right back to as if this was never done at all if you want to "split up" the tanks again.

Sometimes the best solutions are the simplest.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote