Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #1

Coming to California? It’ll cost you.

California’s gas prices are officially the highest in the nation at $4.28 a gallon for regular. Of course, 51 cents of that is state tax. Not that that’s a big surprise, but if you’re headed here from cheap gas states, be prepared!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #2

My wife and I both grew up in So Cal. We used to go to Disneyland when the general admission was $1.00 and ticket books were used to ride the rides. Raised the kids there, camped all over State. Lived In San Diego after I got out of the Navy and went back often to visit after we retired and moved to Arizona.

Our last RV trip to SD was about three years ago. Homeless camped everywhere, people asking for hand-outs everywhere, our old neighborhoods looked as bad as Tijuana, and generally a mess. We swore we would never go back.

Now the politics and the cost of living have cemented our decision, plus the cost of fuel. Why do the people keep voting in these idiot politicians then expect things to improve?

So not to worry, we won’t be paying the ridiculous cost of fuel. Our travels now are north and east. As far as we’re concerned the USA ends at the Colorado River.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #3

That tax will fix our roads....ha ha!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
My wife and I both grew up in So Cal. We used to go to Disneyland when the general admission was $1.00 and ticket books were used to ride the rides. Raised the kids there, camped all over State. Lived In San Diego after I got out of the Navy and went back often to visit after we retired and moved to Arizona.

Our last RV trip to SD was about three years ago. Homeless camped everywhere, people asking for hand-outs everywhere, our old neighborhoods looked as bad as Tijuana, and generally a mess. We swore we would never go back.

Now the politics and the cost of living have cemented our decision, plus the cost of fuel. Why do the people keep voting in these idiot politicians then expect things to improve?

So not to worry, we won’t be paying the ridiculous cost of fuel. Our travels now are north and east. As far as we’re concerned the USA ends at the Colorado River.
This...
This.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #5

My motorhome gets about 8MPG. If I was that worried about the cost of gas, I wouldn't have had a reason to join JaycoOwners in the first place.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:56 PM   #6

We are going at the upper half of CA in September going to Sparks, NV from Washington State, the last time we did that I only use about one tank of diesel fuel. Thank you, CA have mostly always been one of the hightest.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:34 PM   #7

We in California are used to the higher prices. After all, it is designer gas.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #8

Now I only spent $70,000 for my Trailer & tow vehicle so I would NEVER complain about the price of fuel. Hell, just staying home and having 2 cocktails in Bellingham and watching the sunset will be $20 so .50-.75 cents a gallon more while on vacation is merely chump change.
Attached Thumbnails
3AAE6BCE-4114-4CE4-A9AA-5CF0D6DC5057.jpg  
Old 07-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
so .50-.75 cents a gallon more while on vacation is merely chump change.
Agree with that, but here since January the prices have gone up $1.35 a gallon and continue to go up daily. It's gone up .50 just in the last month with no end in sight. The cheapest here is now $3.34 a gallon.

Being retired and on a fixed income the cost of fuel is more of a consideration compared to when we were working. There are many places in CA that are now over 5 bucks a gallon.

The cost of fuel will raise the prices of everything we buy. Funny...or not so funny...what one election can do to the economy.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:19 PM   #10

Quote:

*(snip)* Funny...or not so funny...what one election can do to the economy.
Me thinks the election had nothing to do with it. Maybe this explains who controls the oil prices:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/30/inves...ing/index.html

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Funny...or not so funny...what one election can do to the economy.
Baloney. I don’t remember anyone anyone blaming the election when prices rose during the last four years. They rise and fall like a yo-yo for various reasons, much of it due to supply and demand. Check your local freeway today and you’ll see how much demand there is this year.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:59 PM   #12

After traveling in California for a few weeks it was a pleasant surprise to pull up to a pump in Oregon to find diesel prices about 80 cents cheaper. When I head back east on major interstates, I will use EFS to save about 40 cents per gallon off the posted price of diesel. I plan my fuel stops in advance using EFS based upon the truck stops offering the best prices for diesel.
TRNewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:16 PM   #13

If I left anything in California the last time I was there, 1973, they can keep it. Nothing there I want, need or desire. You residing there can have it all.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:08 PM   #14

Campingva, I couldn't agree more. Some of us on fixed incomes can't afford these high prices like some can so if you can you can just be thankful. But not all of us can. Not to get political here but I sure do miss the last four years.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey55 View Post
Campingva, I couldn't agree more. Some of us on fixed incomes can't afford these high prices like some can so if you can you can just be thankful. But not all of us can. Not to get political here but I sure do miss the last four years.
Also not to get political, but I don't miss last 4 years: 1. A year ago we were shut down, unable to travel. 2. My wife and I, and our 3 adult children are vaccinated and well, as are many of us in the Northeast. 3. Fuel prices, like other costs in a free economy, are subject to supply and demand; lower fuel prices over past 1+ year related to lack of demand due to # 1 and #2. 5. Economy, and travel, is now booming -- hence, increased costs. I could go on, but then I'd get political.

By the way, we are also on fixed incomes. Fuel prices are still a bargain in the US compared to much of the world. I'm old enough to remember when gas prices averaged ~$4/gal -- 10 to 15 years ago. What would that translate to today?

Happy trails, wherever you may travel to!
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:46 PM   #16

Just be thankful you can get gas. For us old timers, remember the fuel shortage due to the embargo. Gas lines, limited amounts you could buy. A miserable experience!

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #17

We were planning to go cross country to Death Valley in Mar 2020. Three days before departure everything locked down. So that plan went south. By Jan 2021 we had figured risk/reward and went for it. Went all the way cross country . Camping was no different in exposure than staying home. It was a bit odd in Death Valley seeing everyone masked outdoors vs at home in the boonies where we did not mask outdoors. Aside from being faint when prices for gas went from $3.30 overnight to $4.30/gal we were unaffected though grateful we did not have to live there. But ya know Cali from Maine is quite a trip at 14 mpg anyway so who is to complain?

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Just be thankful you can get gas. For us old timers, remember the fuel shortage due to the embargo. Gas lines, limited amounts you could buy. A miserable experience!
We towed cross Texas in Feb, The first gas line we had ever had to wait in since 1973. The ice storm wreaked havoc in supply. The kid who was the traffic control officer in Alpine TX was overwhelmed as he had never seen a gas line before. We were laughing to pee our pants.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I'm old enough to remember that, as well -- I was 18 in '73.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Able View Post
I'm old enough to remember that, as well -- I was 18 in '73.
I was in college and remember the lines and odd/even-day rationing. And freeway speed limits of 55. Of course as a poor college kid I couldn’t afford much gas anyway!