Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #1

confuzed

Yep another tire question. We have Goodyear Marathon tires on our rig, yep going bad. Checked and found some Hercules tires. Only problem is I have never heard of them. Went on another website and everybody who answered the post really haven't heard of them neither. I called my friend in Tucson and asked him about Hercules tires,[ manager of tire store] and he said good tires. Called 4 tire stores in the Mesa/apache Junction area and all 4 of them sell Duro, Herculoes, and Maxxis. They all said that if they had to put them in order to buy it would be 1--Duro-------2 Hercules------3 Maxxis. The prices are $175.00 Maxxis----$132.00 Duro and $116.00 FOR HERCULES. The Goodyear are $162.00 Does anybody have any opinion or have used these tire and how did you like them. I am Confuzed.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #2

I used to put Hercules tires on my truck and never had a problem. What my tire dealer told me is that Hercules doesn't advertise like the other brands but it is a good tire. Unfortunately, the place where I used to get them burned and no one carries them in my area.

Fred
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #3

Just a couple questions; How do you know the tires are going bad? Also, do you keep them covered when the RV is in storage? Curious because my Marathon tires are about 2-1/2 years old and look and operate just fine.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #4

Totally unrelated to trailer tires but we run these on our ambulances. Originals were Michelin or Continental. Switch mainly due to price but had good reviews from some Texas Hill Country ranch owners. So far so good. 4x4 ambulances with a weight of about 14,500 pounds on rough terrain. Our dealer told us the same thing about advertising.

30 nights camping in 2014

2009 F250 4x4 - 6.4l stock
mwest75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Just a couple questions; How do you know the tires are going bad? Also, do you keep them covered when the RV is in storage? Curious because my Marathon tires are about 2-1/2 years old and look and operate just fine.
Born date 2310--- One tire on drivers front, the outside tread is about 1/8 inch or more higher than the center tread. put a straight edge and the center tread is lower. Yes they are covered. Talked to tire shops and they all said that the cords shifted. Don't want to take any chances. Tires are 4 years old. I keep the air pressure at 65 psi and check them at the start of a trip and also at the end. Also posted the same question on another website and those people agreed that the tires were bad. people had the same thing happen to their tires, said replace them, they will blow and do damage to the trailer.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
Born date 2310--- One tire on drivers front, the outside tread is about 1/8 inch or more higher than the center tread. put a straight edge and the center tread is lower. Yes they are covered. Talked to tire shops and they all said that the cords shifted. Don't want to take any chances. Tires are 4 years old. I keep the air pressure at 65 psi and check them at the start of a trip and also at the end. Also posted the same question on another website and those people agreed that the tires were bad. people had the same thing happen to their tires, said replace them, they will blow and do damage to the trailer.
Replace them. Cord shifting is a recipe for disaster. Parcany, you've peaked my curiosity on these Hercules tires. I'm going to Google these to see where they are made, where to buy them and what load ranges they come in.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

see this thread:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...-Opinion/page2

scroll down to my post about finally finding some Goodyears made in Canada, they now have over 7500 miles on them and are still doing great.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #9

Got new tires on today. When they took the tires off ,looked at them and found a 3-4 inch slit on the inside of one of the tires. Couldn,t see the slit while on the trailer. New tires were mounted, balanced and they put in steel valve stems so I can add TPMS down the road. When they took the old tires off we looked at the inside of the rim and could not find anything stating tire pressure. The old tire were maxed out at 65 psi and the new tires. are at 80psi. was told by the manager that steel wheels are more touchie than the alumnium [sp] the trailer seemed to pull better and it seemed that less throttle was used to start off from a stop. will have to see about that. Was in town towing not on the highway. Just a update.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Got new tires on today. When they took the tires off ,looked at them and found a 3-4 inch slit on the inside of one of the tires. Couldn,t see the slit while on the trailer. New tires were mounted, balanced and they put in steel valve stems so I can add TPMS down the road. When they took the old tires off we looked at the inside of the rim and could not find anything stating tire pressure. The old tire were maxed out at 65 psi and the new tires. are at 80psi. was told by the manager that steel wheels are more touchie than the alumnium [sp] the trailer seemed to pull better and it seemed that less throttle was used to start off from a stop. will have to see about that. Was in town towing not on the highway. Just a update.
Good Luck with the tires.....I have heard good things about them.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #11

I had 2 set of Duro tires on my previous TT, piece of ****.... both sets had to be replaced after only 2 years...even if they had been covered up all the tire... the sidewalls cracked up badly all over.

Duros were OEM on my TT, they got replaced under warranty (from Duro).... changed them over for Marathons, but not sure how they will perform, cause I taded the TT in!
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #12

Good to hear you got things handled Ernie before anything serious happened.

Safe travels.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote