Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #1

Connecting to home sewage

Has anyone ever performed a rinse of their black and grey tanks by connecting to their home sewage? I have access to my home sewage system (3 or 4 inch plugged PVC pipe sticking out of my front yard) and don't see why I couldn't do it. The biggest challenge would be that I'll need a sewer hose extension to reach it. It would be running slightly uphill to the pipe also, so it would be a challenge to handle that long of a sewer hose with water in it.

Any thoughts/experience out there doing this would be appreciated.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #2

The tiny amount of poo in the rinse water would be good for your yard, just let it go in the grass away from traffic patterns. I "rinse" the tanks at the dump station with 5 gallons of water dumped in the hopper and the sink. I dump another 5 gallons in each for the trip home and let it go on the grass when I arrive.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #3

I can reach my septic system and have dumped my black and grey tanks into the septic. Adding rinse water with an residual amounts shouldn't hurt anything unless your septic system is marginal.

If you are connecting to a sewer system that goes to the municipal system, that might be a problem depending upon your municipality.

Under no circumstances would I rinse my black tank onto my lawn. You never know what level of residue might come out in the rinse. Exposed human waste is a health hazard.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #4

I had a plumbing contractor install a PVC line from my RV parking pad to the septic tank. It's nice not to have to detour by a dump station on the way home.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

I dump at the campground if their is no line. Anytime there is a line I come home pull up to the septic tank, hook up my tank flusher and dump at the house.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #6

I use a portable macerator pump and a 5/8 inch hose that runs to my 4" sewer pipe in the garage. Removed the plate and the plumbing supply created a nice pvc set up that reduced to a female hose fitting. You can pump up hill. Works great. Cost about $250 total.
Cyranose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #7

I do it all the time. Luckily mine is downhill though.
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #8

I poured an RV pad and found the sewer cleanout in the process. Just like a full hook-up campground now...
E rated Michelin LTX M/S2s

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bansai
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyranose View Post
I use a portable macerator pump and a 5/8 inch hose that runs to my 4" sewer pipe in the garage. Removed the plate and the plumbing supply created a nice pvc set up that reduced to a female hose fitting. You can pump up hill. Works great. Cost about $250 total.

I looked into the pump that you speak of. I like the model that connects directly to the black and gray drain lines on the camper. Assuming you have this same style, how far does it stick out from the side of the camper when it is connected? I ask because when I park my camper at my house, those lines are out on the street side.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #10

There is also this http://www.amazon.com/Sewer-Solution/dp/B000Z9G2D0

which works fine, albeit a bit slow (does moderate up-hill as well). I used that before I had the RV pad poured.
E rated Michelin LTX M/S2s

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bansai
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
Site Team

A picture of the campsite (under construction) at the home base. Water and electric (20/30/50 amp) are on the wall of the house. Once it's completely graveled, all that remains is to cut the sewage pipe so that it's closer to the ground. The covers for the septic tank are on the left side of the picture

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #12

Mine is just a little far for regular hose I think. I was thinking about just getting some PVC to bridge the gap. But then I thought a couple lengths of standard RV sewer hose might work...

How far do you guys think is too far to run standard RV sewer hose? I could grade it pretty well, I think...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
How far do you guys think is too far to run standard RV sewer hose? I could grade it pretty well, I think...

It wouldn't matter as you are going to have to rinse with plenty of water anyway.

In other circumstances if the run and diameter was too large the solids would stop and the liquid would run out but you are not going to let it sit anyway so it wouldn't matter....

after you dump send lots of water down the hose to rinse
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #14

My neighbor's sewer line runs across the edge of my property to main sewer line at the road. It has several clean-outs on it. I just unscrew the lid from one of those clean-outs and dump right there. I usually run the black tank rinse for 20-30 minutes when I'm done.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
It wouldn't matter as you are going to have to rinse with plenty of water anyway.

In other circumstances if the run and diameter was too large the solids would stop and the liquid would run out but you are not going to let it sit anyway so it wouldn't matter....

after you dump send lots of water down the hose to rinse
That was my plan. I was afraid that with the "texture" of the inside of the standard sewer hose, I could run into problems with a really long run of it, but I have 2 hose bibs in very close proximity to both ends of the run, and I have a sewer hose to water hose adapter, so I could get more than plenty of water down the line.

I might just have to try this... If it doesn't work right, I'm only out the cost of a couple lengths of RV sewer hose, and I could just keep those around for spares.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Mine is just a little far for regular hose I think. I was thinking about just getting some PVC to bridge the gap. But then I thought a couple lengths of standard RV sewer hose might work...

The big consideration here in that the ribbed inside of an RV sewer hose isn't going to allow the solids to "slide" through as easily as PVC pipe. If you can afford it, engineer it, and store it (if necessary), I'd suggest building the extension with PVC. I think it will be a lot easier flushing "x" feet of PVC pipe than "x" feet of RV sewer hose- and a lot less ornery to handle too.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
The big consideration here in that the ribbed inside of an RV sewer hose isn't going to allow the solids to "slide" through as easily as PVC pipe. If you can afford it, engineer it, and store it (if necessary), I'd suggest building the extension with PVC. I think it will be a lot easier flushing "x" feet of PVC pipe than "x" feet of RV sewer hose- and a lot less ornery to handle too.
I was poking around looking at it last night. I think I could make a run along the side of my house from PVC. I can get 10 ft lengths of 3" pipe, and I would need 4. It would be pretty easy to rig it with a slope, and I could connect one sewer hose at the front (from RV to PVC), and one at the back (from PVC to sewer outlet). The only thing I haven't quite figured out yet is how to easily mate the RV sewer hose (hopefully using the quick connect fittings) to the ends of the PVC. I found some flexible fittings that would probably do the job.

I've been poking around on the internet to figure out what is available, but I haven't had a chance to go put my hands on anything. I work better if I can see it and touch it, when I'm in the store with the parts in my hand, I can engineer just about anything I need...

Of course, it would be ideal to have a contractor put in an outlet up next to the driveway that goes straight to the septic, but if DW saw me do that, there would likely be a homicide at my house

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #18
Site Team

At the end you connect your sewer hose to, will a 3" to 4" adapter with a 4" elbow make it too high? The 4" opening for your 3" sewer hose would be the same as what's found at many campgrounds. As an alternative, you could also use a 3" elbow and then the 3" to 4" adapter, but I think this setup would be even higher.

I have a Valterra 90 Degree sewer hose elbow with removable sewer adapter on the end my sewer hose that will fit a variety of sewer pipe openings, plus I also have one of those rubber doughnuts to fit the "oddballs". Judging from the picture, the Valterra might work with the 3" pipe without any adapter, but my TT's not handy to verify this for you.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #19
Lost in the Woods

put this on the end of the pvc near the trailer and get one of these for your hose

if of course you use rhino flex if not you get the idea

then cap it when not in use
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post

put this on the end of the pvc near the trailer and get one of these for your hose

if of course you use rhino flex if not you get the idea

then cap it when not in use

That looks just about right

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV