Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #11

I have a 2014 32 tsbh. We love it even with its drawbacks. The front bedroom is a little small. Im 6'2" and about 240 lbs. My feet do touch the bedroom door when door is open. I just close the door and I'm fine. I get dressed on my side and my wife on hers not a problem. The bath is a little small but not too bad. The best thing is the rear bedroom, my kids love it. They get to bring their friends. The bunk above the outdoor kitchen is real small, and we rarely use it except for storage. Invest in a bunk ladder, it helps the kids get in bed. I really love the pull out sofa, not the jackknife sofa, i think it is one of the best sleeping spots in the trailer. I added an extra TV to the front bedroom, split cable wire in living room and made a hanger out of an over the door hook. Lets me relax in my bedroom.

ltslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #12

The bedroom is one reason we went with the 338 rets with the bed slide... I only wish they had a bed slide on smaller campers , I cant see a downside to a bed slide as far as room goes on a shorter camper. Our old camper had bed from front to rear and there wasn't room to change clothes in the bedroom, so that was one thing we looked for in a new one

Old 03-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amf2015 View Post
We are considering a 2016 32thds travel trailer. We are a family of seven and I haven't come across anything else that will fit all the kids in one room. I would love a second door for the restroom but I'm not sure if that is worth trying to possible get a smaller bunkhouse. Also the bedroom really bothers me with absolutely no space to walk in front of the bed. Is that an issue? Please let me know your thoughts. Things you love or things that bother you after your purchase.
Thank you!!!
Are you referring to the 32TSBH? Or, the 32BHDS? Either way, that's a lot of trailer for your van. We are in a similar situation and also have a Chevy Express 3500 (12 passenger version) and have also looked at the 32BHDS, but I'm worried about the weight.

Your van has a total GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of 16,000#'s and a curb weight of around 6,400#'s. The camper that you are looking at is going to be in the 8-9,000# range dry. Let's say you were able to keep it at 8,500#'s. That only leaves you 1,100#'s for all your passengers, cargo, batteries, etc. And with a family of 7, you will likely be over your GCWR.

Think of it this way. If your family weighs ~750#'s + 1,500 pounds of cargo + 6,400 van weight + 8,500 dry camper weight, then you are at 17,150#'s. Which puts you over your GCWR by over 1,000#'s. That's something to consider, on paper it's too much for your van.

On the other hand, there's one member here that does tow a 32BHDS with a std. length version of the same van and likes the way the van handles the unit. I know all this, because we really want the 32 BHDS for our family of 5, but in the end decided it might be too much camper for our van to comfortably handle. As always, YMMV :-)
glbtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrekker View Post
Are you referring to the 32TSBH? Or, the 32BHDS? Either way, that's a lot of trailer for your van. We are in a similar situation and also have a Chevy Express 3500 (12 passenger version) and have also looked at the 32BHDS, but I'm worried about the weight.

Your van has a total GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of 16,000#'s and a curb weight of around 6,400#'s. The camper that you are looking at is going to be in the 8-9,000# range dry. Let's say you were able to keep it at 8,500#'s. That only leaves you 1,100#'s for all your passengers, cargo, batteries, etc. And with a family of 7, you will likely be over your GCWR.

Think of it this way. If your family weighs ~750#'s + 1,500 pounds of cargo + 6,400 van weight + 8,500 dry camper weight, then you are at 17,150#'s. Which puts you over your GCWR by over 1,000#'s. That's something to consider, on paper it's too much for your van.

On the other hand, there's one member here that does tow a 32BHDS with a std. length version of the same van and likes the way the van handles the unit. I know all this, because we really want the 32 BHDS for our family of 5, but in the end decided it might be too much camper for our van to comfortably handle. As always, YMMV :-)

We also have a 3500 12 passenger van and didn't feel good about this much weight. After crunching the numbers, we chose the 26bhsw. We have a family of 8. Four of our kids are tiny enough for the bunks, and the teens sleep on the couch and dinette. Would have loved something bigger, but feel good about our choice.
Eatersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #15

How about the 33RBTS floorplan? Fits our family of 6 plus two dogs. No issues with the size of the front bedroom, and the bathroom is a good size as well.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #16

Good to see owners making responsible choices on here and acknowledging the limits of their vehicle and the importance of safety.