Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #1

Convection oven

Having a hard time trying to cook with this thing! Any hints?
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #2

You really need to experiment since not all conv/micro are the same. We usually reduce temp by 5 degrees and just shorten the time slightly. We did preheat the same as a regular oven.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post
Having a hard time trying to cook with this thing! Any hints?
I feel your pain. My unit came with just a cooktop and a convection microwave and I never could get it to bake satisfactorily. Worked fine to microwave, but the baking was uneven and poor. I removed the cooktop and installed an Atwood range/oven. I carry unglazed ceramic tiles which I place in the bottom of the oven after arrival. We can now bake our favorites and they come out great. Plus when prepping a meal we can use the oven and the microwave simultaneously and get everything ready simultaneously.

A big step, but we like to eat in when possible and hope to keep our unit for a while. Nothing like fresh-baked blueberry muffins in the morning!
Attached Thumbnails
muffins.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #4

Interesting. When we were looking for RVs, if I stepped inside and saw it had no oven but only a convection microwave, we turned around and stepped back down the steps. I do most all of the cooking and have never learned to use one of those properly.

Only after a year of looking did a salesman inadvertently mention one could replace the cooktop with an entire oven assembly depending on the design. We may have missed out on some potentials units but are happy with our Greyhawk now.

And I use a perfectly fitted pizza stone in my oven to help even out the heat. Works on biscuits and cookies so far!
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post
Interesting. When we were looking for RVs, if I stepped inside and saw it had no oven but only a convection microwave, we turned around and stepped back down the steps. I do most all of the cooking and have never learned to use one of those properly.
Just shows the difference in life styles which is fine.

In over 40 yrs of having a self contained unit we never used the oven. Had a folding one for a Coleman stove and then the convection/micro. With the last 5 units never lit the stove. Either used the Coleman or elect hot-plate.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #6

How funny we use are oven all the time, pizzas, meatloaf! Better stop getting hungry lol.Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Tombstone 09.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #7

Convection oven

Make sure you exterior vent for the convection oven is open (ours wasn't and that affected the cooking process). Also get a remote thermometer to monitor oven temp as the displayed temp can be off. Our rig has an induction cooktop also; we use both frequently with no issues. When we had a gas oven, we used it for storage most of the time.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #8

It is a shame that the manufacturers don't like their product enough to provide at least a few tested recipes for use with the micro/convection ovens they build. Our Skylark came with one and it took a few experiments for my wife to get it figured out. We do use it much of the time now. She looked for a cook book for small convection ovens but had no luck, so she started making her own.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #9

In the past, we always had stove/oven combos and thought the convection oven/microwave was inferior for our needs. We actually like it. It cooks evenly - however really only cuts about 5-10 minutes off a conventional oven cook time. Our present convection/micro is twice as big as any tiny gas oven we ever had. The only inconvenience is in the mountains. It's a little bit of a pain to have to start the generator everytime we want to bake, but we've certainly learned to live with it.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote