Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #1

Converting grill from small bottle to camper propane

My Jayco Eagle is equipped with 2 quick connect propane supplies. I was considering changing my propane grill from the small high pressure bottles to connect to the campers propane supply line.

After some research, it is my understanding the regulator on the grill has to be eliminated for this to work, since the campers supply is already regulated at the campers propane tanks.

Has anyone been successful in performing this grill modification or have any information on this topic? Thanks
tfford53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Correct. Regulator on grill needs to be removed and a quick disconnect added to receive the hose from the camper.
I seen several conversions if you do a search on youtube.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

It can be done very easily. I have adapted my webber Q2000 to work off my TT and I also put a quick connect on the regulator I removed so on the rare occasion I need to use a small bottle I just add the regulator and away I go.
Do a search as there are many posts with this question.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #4

Or you can do like I've done and tee off before your prv and provide tank pressure to your grill.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #5

Thanks for all the comments. I have a Char-Broil 2Go X200 grill. The regulator and controller is one device, so eliminating the regulator is a problem. At this time I haven't been able to find just the controller to replace to combo unit.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #6

Do a search on Amazon for "Camco 57638 Quick Connect Conversion Kit". This "kit" will eliminate your regulator and add a controller and hose. This is what you need to hook your BBQ to your TT. May be more money than you want to spend but you may be able to get the parts cheaper if purchased separately.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL1967 View Post
Do a search on Amazon for "Camco 57638 Quick Connect Conversion Kit". This "kit" will eliminate your regulator and add a controller and hose. This is what you need to hook your BBQ to your TT. May be more money than you want to spend but you may be able to get the parts cheaper if purchased separately.

Thanks for the tip. I did find the conversion kit and also found just the valve (Camco 57274 Control Valve with Quick Connect) on Amazon. Looks like I would need to remove the grill connection fitting on this valve and find a fitting to go to my 1/4" NPT male grill fitting.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfford53 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I did find the conversion kit and also found just the valve (Camco 57274 Control Valve with Quick Connect) on Amazon. Looks like I would need to remove the grill connection fitting on this valve and find a fitting to go to my 1/4" NPT male grill fitting.
A whole lot of trouble and expense considering you can purchase a pair of the green tanks for $5 that will cover you for a long weekend. With just the wife and I a green tank will last for a couple weeks. We grill 3 or 4 times per week. With an adapter you can refill the green tanks and cut your costs even farther. Seems a lot easier than dragging around a long hose etc and limit the positioning of the grill.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
A whole lot of trouble and expense considering you can purchase a pair of the green tanks for $5 that will cover you for a long weekend. With just the wife and I a green tank will last for a couple weeks. We grill 3 or 4 times per week. With an adapter you can refill the green tanks and cut your costs even farther. Seems a lot easier than dragging around a long hose etc and limit the positioning of the grill.
Your comments make a lot of sense. But some things I have to consider is the cost of propane and how much we use it. We spend 4 months in Florida during the winter. 2 green propane bottles cost $6.50 plus tax and we will go through 7 to 10 bottles during the 16 weeks at a total cost of $30 to $35. The cost to fill our 30 lb tank is about $18. Also their is the convenience of the quick connect to our existing camper propane connections ( we already have the extension hoses) and not have to switch bottles in the middle of grilling dinner. Once I find the proper valve and change the grill connection to fit my grill, it should only cost about $20 to $25.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:24 AM   #10

For $37 you can split off your tank before the TT regulator and still be able to use the 1-lb tanks if you ever choose to. Gas does not flow out of the splitter unless there's a hose hooked to it, so I leave the splitter on the tank and just hook up the camp stove hose whenever it's time to cook.

We carry one of the green 1-lb tanks as a backup but use our large tank for primary grill fuel. We use our Coleman camp stove for all cooking duties. We've never used the stove or oven inside or the gas grill that we got with the TT.

I got tired of having to run to the store to buy the 1-lb tanks and also paying the premium for them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019B...236_SY340_QL65

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NA...splitter&psc=1
Old 05-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfford53 View Post
Your comments make a lot of sense. But some things I have to consider is the cost of propane and how much we use it. We spend 4 months in Florida during the winter. 2 green propane bottles cost $6.50 plus tax and we will go through 7 to 10 bottles during the 16 weeks at a total cost of $30 to $35. The cost to fill our 30 lb tank is about $18. Also their is the convenience of the quick connect to our existing camper propane connections ( we already have the extension hoses) and not have to switch bottles in the middle of grilling dinner. Once I find the proper valve and change the grill connection to fit my grill, it should only cost about $20 to $25.
Even using your $$'s and calculations, you would only save $12 - 18 or about $5 per month. Using the green bottles I do occasionally run out in the middle of grilling a steak but the swap takes about 2 minutes and we're back in business. If I know the bottle is running low I will go ahead and swap it out before cooking the evening dinner. I have the necessary hose to connect the grill, it was a spur of the moment purchase when I bought my first TT. When I realized that I also had to buy an adapter etc, I made a go of using the green bottles and I never looked back.

I don't know how many newer TT's come with the quick connect gas line on the rear bumper that is never used.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #12

I converted my gas grill to run off of the fiver's gas, mainly because I didn't want to haul a 16# tank along. I found the fittings and hoses on Amazon, and the fitting to adapt from the grill to the 1/4" male disconnect at my local Home Depot. They can be found in the plumbing dept. in the brass gas fittings. Don't forget the gas rated teflon tape to seal the treads and leak test with soapy water when everything is together.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #13

BTW, my grill is a Brinkman dual burner, can't recall the model number.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Even using your $$'s and calculations, you would only save $12 - 18 or about $5 per month. Using the green bottles I do occasionally run out in the middle of grilling a steak but the swap takes about 2 minutes and we're back in business. If I know the bottle is running low I will go ahead and swap it out before cooking the evening dinner. I have the necessary hose to connect the grill, it was a spur of the moment purchase when I bought my first TT. When I realized that I also had to buy an adapter etc, I made a go of using the green bottles and I never looked back.

I don't know how many newer TT's come with the quick connect gas line on the rear bumper that is never used.
I used 1# bottles for the first 2 years with my TT and found it frustrating at times when you didn't have a refill tank or you had to store a couple spares in your storage hold. After switching out my regulator for a quick connect and with a 20' of hose I now have the ability to BBQ without the worry of running out of propane or carrying extra tanks. Its a simple changeover and it may not be for everyone but for me was worth it.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #15

Converting grill from small bottle to camper propane

Carrying a hose is easier than carry spare green bottles. It's one more thing to shop for and keep on hand. It's a convenience thing for me. I bought the whole conversion kit online at propanegear.com
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #16
Site Team

Also be aware that the LP connection provided on rv's is a low pressure quick connect.

If your grill works off of high pressure LP, like a 1lb tank, converting it to the QC supply can be done but not as simply.

There is much reading on JOF about the differences and methods of adapting the grill to a different supply.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #17

grill

Just remove control valve on your grill. Since there is one already on your camper. There are several u tube videos on how to. Home Depot has all the fittings! Nice not having to carry little green propane tanks any longer! Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
Prescott monument.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Just remove control valve on your grill. Since there is one already on your camper. There are several u tube videos on how to. Home Depot has all the fittings! Nice not having to carry little green propane tanks any longer! Happy Trails
FYI - If anyone is using a Coleman 2-burner camp stove, such as the Triton series, removing the regulator internals and hooking to the factory TT low-pressure quick connect will not work for this particular stove......don't ask me how I know.....

Got bored and figured I'd experiment yesterday......new camp stove regulator is in route .

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
Old 05-30-2017, 09:42 AM   #19

bdreinv hi there...

I noticed the sign in your profile.. Are you in Prescott? I am in Prescott Lakes..
Old 05-31-2017, 07:19 PM   #20

We have a Weber Q grill and I removed the regulator and added a quick connect to do what you are asking about. The Weber Q makes it easy as the controls aren't connected to the regulator. Sounds like your grill is different.

Another option, and I used this with my old camper without the quick connects, was a 10 pound propane tank and one of the hoses that goes from a propane tank twist on fitting and the other end is the female 1# canister threads. The 10# tank is easy to move and store and helped the one or two times I ran the camper tanks out of gas.