Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #1

Couple of storage questions

We've got a few months before our next scheduled trip, and I can use some advice on safeguarding the 212qb during extended storage:

Should I cover the rv with a tarp? It's new, a 2021, so no issues with the roof. However, we get a lot of rain on occasion here, as well as blistering heat well I to the 90's. Unit sits on basically a parking space, uncovered.

If I do need to cover, how do I protect the cover from being torn from the gutters at the 4 corners.?

Should I remove the batteries and hook them up to a trickle type charger at home?

I apologize if there are other threads on these issues. I can't get the search function to work! When I bring up the search function, as soon as I try to type in a key word, the window closes.....

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:16 PM   #2

Wouldnt recommend covering with tarp. It can rub/chafe the edges, and rip into a mess.

"It's new, a 2021, so no issues with the roof."- please dont ever think that. Many units leak right from the factory. Especially if its new, you should monitor the state of affairs inside and out; I would check on the unit periodically. Sitting outside in heat and rain is normal for most all of us.

Yes - good idea on removing battery(s) and maintaining at home.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:42 PM   #3

X2 no tarp.

Definitely check the roof. Ours was new and we took it back to the dealership because we had water in the window frame (in our bedroom) of our new unit. Dealership never found the leak...except when we picked up the unit there was a good size puddle in the storage area and they wanted to keep it for further review. Absolutely not. We went camping, had the awning out & there was a good rain - not too heavy. Two of us got up on the roof and two others were down watching the rain run into the storage area. They were able to pin point the area and I found the pin hole...fixed it & no further leaks.

Our unit is stored outside year round.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #4

Check your roof. I have a 2021 145RB pre-wired for solar. While I was installing a solar panel on the roof I noticed next to the cable entry plate a spot about 1/4" missing the Dicor self leveling sealant. Came from Jayco like that. I will be checking my roof in the fall when I cover the trailer and again in the spring when I uncover.

Jay Flight SLX 7 145RB
scloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #5

As said, definitely get in the habit of checking your roof (or having someone check it) several times a year. There is lots of info here and online about roof caulking and maintenance. I cover our 212QBW during the winter with a good cover to protect it from the elements. Buy four cheap tennis balls at the dollar store or pet store and slice an “X” in each. Push those over the gutter spouts before covering it.

I would never use a typical tarp as a cover. I like my Elements cover but it’s a two-man job to put it on. I bought a lightweight cover from RV Masking to toss on during the summer to protect it from the blazing sun. I can do it alone and I’m really happy with it. Here’s a link: https://www.amazon.com/RVMasking-Tra.../dp/B08GPQXGQ3
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote