Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
David472's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 1,393
Coupler Lock Question

Has anyone used a Reese coupler lock as shown in the attached picture? I got this one at a good price, but I found out, the u-bolt is too narrow to go over the coupler, by about 3/4 inch. Oh well, I guess I will return it.
Attached Thumbnails
HitchLock-1.jpg  
__________________

__________________
Jayco Eagle 31.5RLDS
GMC Sierra 2500 HD
David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Terry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 4,923
David - I have that exact one - and it will sort of work. At least on mine, I can put it on at an angle and it will tighten up enough to lock. Mine came in a 3 pack with a pin lock and a receiver lock.

I use it them in the hopes that it will slow them down enough they will pass by. They are not secure at all. I saw a youtube video of a guy pick the lock in less than 30 seconds. My receiver lock broke the other day and would not come open. I used a battery operated saws-all and it cut through it like butter in about 20 seconds.

I figure at least the stupid criminals will be foiled. As far as the experts, nothing I put on there is going to stop them. The fancier the lock I put on there, the more damage they do getting it off (ask me how I know!)
__________________

__________________
Terry
2009 Jayco 26BH
2004 Chevy Silverado 1500
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Member
 
etep571190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 41
I use that one on my utility trailer and its a snug fit.
__________________
2014 GMC Yukon Denali
2011 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 314BDS
Seasonal Camper
etep571190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 201
I use this one from Camping World. Costs $30 and seems to work well.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...1-7-8-2-/49068
__________________
2010 Jayco 17Z
2007 Jeep Commander Overland 4x4 HEMI
go wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,371
I torched off the threads on an old 2 5/16" hitch ball, put it into the TT coupler, and lock with a good master lock.

Bob
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rising Sun, MD
Posts: 306
I use a cheap master lock, works for me.
__________________
2009 Ford F150 4x4 Super Cab, 2009 JayFlight 22FB
hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
David472's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I torched off the threads on an old 2 5/16" hitch ball, put it into the TT coupler, and lock with a good master lock.

Bob
I like that idea.
__________________
Jayco Eagle 31.5RLDS
GMC Sierra 2500 HD
David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
David472's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
David - I have that exact one - and it will sort of work. At least on mine, I can put it on at an angle and it will tighten up enough to lock. Mine came in a 3 pack with a pin lock and a receiver lock.

I use it them in the hopes that it will slow them down enough they will pass by. They are not secure at all. I saw a youtube video of a guy pick the lock in less than 30 seconds. My receiver lock broke the other day and would not come open. I used a battery operated saws-all and it cut through it like butter in about 20 seconds.

I figure at least the stupid criminals will be foiled. As far as the experts, nothing I put on there is going to stop them. The fancier the lock I put on there, the more damage they do getting it off (ask me how I know!)
Like you Tafische, I have doubts about how much of a deterant the lock will be, or any lock for that matter. Initially, I was not going to use any lock at all. I may try Rustic Eagle's approach, or Hammerdown's approach. For my boat trailer, I only used a padlock on the coupler lever like Hammerdown shows, and in 10 years had no troubles.
__________________
Jayco Eagle 31.5RLDS
GMC Sierra 2500 HD
David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Merrimack NH
Posts: 804
I guess I just trust people, had popups from 78 to 2010 & now the 19h, only used a pin with a wire loop to keep the hitch from opening when traveling, don't have to worry about keys either.
__________________
Larry & Rachel Demers 2013 F150 Eco Boost Super Cab 6.5 bed 6 sp. 3.31 4x4
29BHS ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Terry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 4,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
I guess I just trust people, had popups from 78 to 2010 & now the 19h, only used a pin with a wire loop to keep the hitch from opening when traveling, don't have to worry about keys either.
I have heard of folks backing into camp sites and doing a "hook and run" job, but I think it is rare. I figure if I keep even a cheap lock on it, the few minutes and attention it would take to get it off would cause them to drive to another easier target.

I learned the hard way on locks. I have a box trailer and I tried to put fancy cut proof locks on it. They were cut proof all right, they ended up tearing up the trailer skin, lock arms, etc so they could get it. I still have the locks, but the damage to the trailer is permanent. Kind of like the locks on my house - they just keep honest people honest.
__________________

__________________
Terry
2009 Jayco 26BH
2004 Chevy Silverado 1500
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.