Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Cover recommendations for 174BH

Picked up a new 2019 Jayco 174BH just a short while ago and was looking into covers for it. I have a lot of trees in my yard and they will get the camper so nasty if I do not cover the camper. Currently I have a regular tarp that is big enough the cover the top of the camper and come down the sides about 24" all the way around. It is doing a decent job of keeping tree stuff off of the camper but I would like a full cover.

Some covers I have found are for up to a 18' camper. Measuring mine, it is 18'-4" so I am guessing I am going to have to go for a cover that is listed for up to a 20' camper.

I found one at Budge Covers that is listed for a 19'-20' TT for about $200.

Anyone have recommendations on covers for the 174BH? Or maybe I should just stick with my tarp? It does the job pretty well, was cheap and covers most of the camper. Just not the whole thing like I would like.
rigger4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:29 PM   #2

Classic Accessories is the way to go Limited lifetime
Wife and tucker the fishing dog
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #3

looking for a cover also, any one have a good recommendation
viennafire21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #4

We used an ADCO All-Climate Wind Tyvek Designer Series Universal Fit on our 195RB. It held up well over the 5 years we had that trailer and it went with it when we traded it in. You can check out the various Universal Fit ADCO covers here:

ADCO Universal Trailer Covers

There are several different types listed here - the All-Climate Wind is the second one down. We used P/N 34841 for 20' to 22'.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:57 AM   #5

We've gotten 4 seasons out two different Adco covers before they start to shred.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #6

I have my 174bh on order, what is the length of the camper and the overall length.
viennafire21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:45 AM   #7

I know this is an old post now but I figured I could do an update.

I had decided to do an ADCO cover and went with the one that was up to 22' long because it would cover my bike rack too. When the cover came in and I put it on, the fit was good and it was not hard to put on the cover at all.

The cover worked well. I could put it on and take it off by myself. The wind did get to it in a few spots where it got pushed on a hard spot a lot. It will also tear really easy if you snag it on something.

The only real problem I discovered with it is that critters like it!

Rats like it. I noticed this past winter that the cover seemed to be just falling apart. I thought maybe it was due to tree sap or maybe the cover was just junk. What I found was that a rather large rat was using it as a ladder to get to the roof. He then made a home in the outside part of my AC unit. His main choice of material for bedding was my cover! I am assuming by the amount of cover that was missing, that other rats thought the cover was a good bedding material too.

Thankfully no real damage to the camper and they did not get inside.

I also noticed the cover attracted loads of tree frogs and some bees too. The cover itself did a good job. The camper stayed pretty clean under it, not perfectly clean but decent.

I would say the ADCO cover was decent and I will probably get another one if I decide to cover it again.
The major downfall to the cover, the critters like it a lot!

I think what I would really like is a cover that is made like the ADCO cover but one that only covers the rooftop as the tarp did. That way the roof is protected from tree crap build-up. And then maybe it would not be so attractive to the critters.

I do know a guy that could custom make what I am thinking of but the wait time and cost would be up there for sure. But even that still wont be a perfect solution because critters could still crawl up the straps and eat that one too.

Pole barn would be great but not an option at the moment. The cheap tarp from Lowes actually worked well but the harshness of the tarp did start to rub a few spots. But a tarp is cheap and even two of those a year is nothing. So cover it again or do I just get out there and make sure it stays clean?
Old 03-02-2021, 09:04 PM   #8

I Feel Your Pain

I kept my 154BH in the NC mountains for years and it was a battle with the critters all the time. Cover on / cover off didn't seem to matter either way even though that RV had a side mount AC I would still find droppings on the roof. I noticed the main entry points were through the side vents. Those little troublemakers would chew those plastic side vents nonstop until I finally covered them with a sturdy wire mesh. Never could figure out how they climbed up the side without my ADCO cover on. Once I started putting those little green poison bars around it stopped intrusion immediately. I always store my camper with rat poison now. Always leave a bar inside your refrigerator vent and inspect camper thoroughly for dirt dobber nests. Northern friends might not know about those things. I like the ADCO for fit and performance but you can get a little longer life with a tarp on top of your fitted cover. I expect to get about 4 years of life with my ADCO. I now have a 174BH but with roof AC and applied all the lessons learned. Also had similar rat problem with a boat except the little devil made a nest inside the air intake. BTW enjoyed reading about your mods...
selectgear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectgear1 View Post
I kept my 154BH in the NC mountains for years and it was a battle with the critters all the time. Cover on / cover off didn't seem to matter either way even though that RV had a side mount AC I would still find droppings on the roof. I noticed the main entry points were through the side vents. Those little troublemakers would chew those plastic side vents nonstop until I finally covered them with a sturdy wire mesh. Never could figure out how they climbed up the side without my ADCO cover on. Once I started putting those little green poison bars around it stopped intrusion immediately. I always store my camper with rat poison now. Always leave a bar inside your refrigerator vent and inspect camper thoroughly for dirt dobber nests. Northern friends might not know about those things. I like the ADCO for fit and performance but you can get a little longer life with a tarp on top of your fitted cover. I expect to get about 4 years of life with my ADCO. I now have a 174BH but with roof AC and applied all the lessons learned. Also had similar rat problem with a boat except the little devil made a nest inside the air intake. BTW enjoyed reading about your mods...
I can't use any kind of poison. We have two small dogs that would probably find a way to get to it.

This is really the very first time I have had an issue with critters. Tree frogs have been my biggest issue other than this rat. Had some bees start to make a nest under the cover once but that was it.

If I cover it again, and I am sure I will, I may look into other critter control methods. My Dad was telling me about these sonic sound things that are supposed to work well for rats and roaches. I have not looked into that one yet.

I liked my ADCO cover. Other than the Rat tearing it up, it was worth getting even if it did not last that long due to the rat.

And I am glad you enjoyed my mod's thread. I never would have guessed that thread would still be going.