Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #21

Boy, do I feel stupid!

First and foremost, thanks again to everyone for all of your excellent advice and suggestions.

The one missing suggestion was to examine the "crack" closely. I went up today to drill a hole and tape it, only to find in good light that it wasn't a crack at all, but a thin thread of Dicor from the installation. Scratched it off with my fingernail. I guess I'm feeling stupid because the shoe fits.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #22

Mine cracked found a replacement was not hard to replace, found one reason for cracking was when it was installed they over tightened the screws. I cleaned up the area sealed it underneath and Eternabond on the outside
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:23 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRick View Post
Boy, do I feel stupid!

First and foremost, thanks again to everyone for all of your excellent advice and suggestions.

The one missing suggestion was to examine the "crack" closely. I went up today to drill a hole and tape it, only to find in good light that it wasn't a crack at all, but a thin thread of Dicor from the installation. Scratched it off with my fingernail. I guess I'm feeling stupid because the shoe fits.
Nothing to feel bad about. It was a win-win day for you, as the skylight doesn't need to be repaired or replaced, and now you know where to get a better replacement if the time comes. Our skylight DID crack from an over tightened screw, at five years old. I found a great replacement on ebay, and in the end, acquired experience having to change it out, like so many other folks here. Ask me what happens to the self leveling compound when it rains before it's set up.....

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Boy, do I feel stupid!

Just to verify you didn’t drill a hole then… Glad it worked out for you...have you called the Dealership yet?
Old 04-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #25

Yes, I did figure it out BEFORE I drilled the hole. Already canceled the appointment with the dealer. He was glad he didn't have to charge me for it.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:26 PM   #26

I had one break also. I had it replaced. Wasn’t expensive. I would think it would be covered under warranty. I tried sealing several times.
Jayco 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #27

Quote:
The one missing suggestion was to examine the "crack" closely. I went up today to drill a hole and tape it, only to find in good light that it wasn't a crack at all, but a thin thread of Dicor from the installation. Scratched it off with my fingernail.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Doing a roof inspection today on our 195RB, I found a crack in the dome over our shower. We are still within our warranty, and will contact the dealer tomorrow, but I don't expect it to be covered.

Any suggestions on repair? It doesn't seem to be worth replacing it. I have a small roll of emergency Eternabond, and I thought that might make sense. DW was wondering if glue or something clear would be better, but I can't think of anything that would hold up over time. I don't think there's any way to get glue in that crack.

All thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance.
Yes, I also would recommend putting tape on it for now.

This is something that always scares me when I’m on the roof. I feel like if I was to trip and break my fall On that dome, it would break in a heartbeat!. That thing is Cheap as hell!

We have these small, skylight, bubble domes on our roof in our Florida home. They have tubes for lighting that go down to the ceiling. All the domes cracked, so we replace them with impact resistant ones. I’m wonder if you could see if there’s something similar that you could replace it with? Maybe there’s a different product out there? I would even pay out of your own pocket for this type of skylight and have them do the labor for free since it is a warranty issue. Maybe someone on this forum has experience with this?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #29

Montana, By the time you pay your deductible it may be easier to repair it yourself. I would use an electric heat gun/paint stripper. and a flathead type tool. Heat the joint super hot and run the tool along the crack (acting like a welding rod sort of sorts). You'll blend the crack and be done with it. Have done it many times in the past to repair holding tanks etc. Then I purchased a "plastic welder" for about $75 it came with different filler rods for polypropylene, PVC, and different types of thermoplastics. Just be sure as not to inhale the fumes......
Old 05-02-2020, 02:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Boy, do I feel stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Yes, I also would recommend putting tape on it for now.
See original poster's comments above
Old 05-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #31

re: Skylight crack

Quote:
Doing a roof inspection today on our 195RB, I found a crack in the dome over our shower. We are still within our warranty, and will contact the dealer tomorrow, but I don't expect it to be covered.

Any suggestions on repair? It doesn't seem to be worth replacing it. I have a small roll of emergency Eternabond, and I thought that might make sense. DW was wondering if glue or something clear would be better, but I can't think of anything that would hold up over time. I don't think there's any way to get glue in that crack.

All thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance.
Silicone will NOT stick, ETERNABOND tape Great temporary, cracks often spread/ spider, so MEASURE AND AMAZON order new after taping. May take Month+ w/ Covid, also get DICOR/ SIKAFLEX SELF-LEVELING then you will you will contend w/ weather/ rain to find window to change it. May even find one "break-proof or break-resistant"?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:47 PM   #32

Agree. Gorilla clear tape inside and OSI outside.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:18 PM   #33

Ours cracked exactly like yours. It started at the screw, which apparently had been over-tightened. We only noticed it because we saw droplets of water in our shower and we had not used water. We removed the interior flange on the inside, and there was water accumulation along the edges, and the screws had started to rust. Luckily it had not migrated to the insulation in the ceiling. We called the dealer, they had us measure the skylight and take pictures, and told us to seal the crack from the outside. They ordered a new cover, called us when it came in, set an appointment, and we drove the camper up to them. They repaired and replaced it while we waited, all under the warranty.
oldbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #34

Happy to hear your skylight is okay. lol Us humans make life interesting and complicated at times and your story gave some re-assurance that we all have blunders, hopefully with such good outcomes. Thanks for sharing and the ending was a great and fun surprise! : )

Our skylight cracked, well, crumbled, from a noisy night of 2-2.5" hail in western Nebraska. Those skylights are pretty flimsy and much better quality replacements are available.

We really like our new heavy-duty clear skylight. I made a diffuser panel that velcros across the inside of it. A sheet of silver mylar can go on top of the diffuser to reflect the sun if it's too bright or warm.

Always good to keep looking for options and this forum is an excellent source for that.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Boy, do I feel stupid!

LOL. I thought I, too, had a crack a while back until I checked it more closely and found the same thread of caulking on it. Every time I go up top, I do a double-take thinking it has cracked. Next time I’m going to scrape it off like you did!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #36

Mine cracked too

Mine cracked too and my warranty didn’t cover it(those warranties are a joke). It was about 200-250 to replace it, so not so bad.
jcarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #37

Over the years I've just removed the cheap acrylic and replaced with Lexan. The last one I picked up the other day was $50 delivered with screws and sealant...18"x26". Took all of half an hour to swap. DO NOT use paint heat gun as one other poster suggested. One false move trying to heat the sealant and the roof is shot. The Lexan replacement is talked about in several threads in the forum so if you are replacing, read them and find out why that's the way to go....even if you are under warranty, the Lexan choice is a better one.
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote