Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2016, 05:36 AM   #1

Crazy blowout!

So I was on my way home from work last night and noticed a truck and 5'er (not a Jayco) on the side of the road with it's hazards on. So I pulled over and noticed his right rear tire on the rear axle (tandem axle) had blown. Walked around to check it out and offer assistance when I saw something that blew my mind. When the tire blew, it ripped it from the axle hub and all. The wheel was cocked inward and at first I thought it just blew the rim off the axle when I noticed it was much worse than that. I asked him when was the last time he checked his tires. He said he's NEVER checked them in the 3 years of owning his 5'er. We talked for a bit and he claimed he's examining his tires for now on before every trip. Funny thing is, no trailer damage! The skirt around the wheels was perfect and looked untouched. Lucky man that's all that happened I said. Needless to say, the owner was furious and said he had someone coming but thanks for stopping. Yes, they were Tow Max tires.

Just a reminder...

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR TIRES BEFORE EVERY TRIP.

Could it have been avoided by checking the tires before his trip? Possibly. And maybe not.

Do it anyway. The lives you save may be yours AND mine.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
So I was on my way home from work last night and noticed a truck and 5'er (not a Jayco) on the side of the road with it's hazards on. So I pulled over and noticed his right rear tire on the rear axle (tandem axle) had blown. Walked around to check it out and offer assistance when I saw something that blew my mind. When the tire blew, it ripped it from the axle hub and all. The wheel was cocked inward and at first I thought it just blew the rim off the axle when I noticed it was much worse than that. I asked him when was the last time he checked his tires. He said he's NEVER checked them in the 3 years of owning his 5'er. We talked for a bit and he claimed he's examining his tires for now on before every trip. Funny thing is, no trailer damage! The skirt around the wheels was perfect and looked untouched. Lucky man that's all that happened I said. Needless to say, the owner was furious and said he had someone coming but thanks for stopping. Yes, they were Tow Max tires.

Just a reminder...

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR TIRES BEFORE EVERY TRIP.

Could it have been avoided by checking the tires before his trip? Possibly. And maybe not.

Do it anyway. The lives you save may be yours AND mine.
Looks like a failed bearing too me, follow up by the blowout ?

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
That's exactly what it sounds like to me as well...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:47 AM   #4

Not uncommon. I mean failure to check things that is. I have a couple of relatives with trailers. They never check anything.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Not uncommon. I mean failure to check things that is. I have a couple of relatives with trailers. They never check anything.
+1

We have some friends who never check anything. And when something needs to be replaced (usually after it breaks and takes out something else with it) they go as cheap as possible.

Then they shake their heads when I put $1000 worth of tires on my vehicle. To which I say "it's worth it for good tires that keep us safe and will last more than 10 minutes". Meanwhile, they've not only replaced their tires 2 or 3 times since I did mine, but they've replaced the entire VEHICLE too. There are some things I'll cheap out on, but replacement parts are usually not one of them. If you want things to last, and to get enjoyment out of them, you keep them in good shape, replace with better than OEM parts, and check their health often.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Yeah, that's definitely a possibility. And who knows what other damage could be in the axles as a result. Shame. From out of state too. I did manage to give him some phone numbers for service centers in the area. hope it worked out for them.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #7

I utilize TPMS on my fiver tires and will be transferring the sensors to my next MH. I always want to know my exact tire pressure and temperature.

But I agree that it sounds like this poor soul may have blown a wheel bearing. Every two years I would jack up each wheel and grease my bearings. It didn't take that long and I felt confident I would never get stranded with a wheel or tire failure.
FLHTK-JOE is offline   Reply With Quote