Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #1

Crazy question

Getting ready to take a significant trip. From North Carolina to Alaska via south Dakota, yellow Stone up through the Canadian Rockies al-can high way to Alaska back through Washington Oregon and California.

My question is there a good place place to hide cash and valuables. Have a jayco precept pulling a Jeep.

Thanks
Tarheel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #2

Do you have a panel that you have to remove with a screwdriver ie water heater- water pump - magnet on backside or side of sink bowl, above filter on kitchen stove exhaust fan.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #3

Get a plastic "project box", glue it to the inside wall of a closet or behind a drawer in the bathroom.
Label it "Caution! Sewage Diverter Valve" :-)

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:26 PM   #4

Mount a Electrical disconnect box with the internal stuff removed that you can put your valuables.
Put it a place deep in the outdoor compartments (where these usually go)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-30-Am...0RCP/100576894
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #5

There are many lock boxes/safes that bolt down on Amazon. Put it in a storage comparment, under the dinette or under the bed.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #6

There are two problems with a lockbox or a safe..

1. It may as well have a neon sign on it, saying "Something worth stealing in here!"

2. It's intended to be bolted to something solid, like a concrete floor or a wall.
"Solid" is usually in short supply in an RV.. but wrenching the box out, bodily, will still make a mess of your floor/wall, etc.

I still think "disguise" is your best option.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #7

Leave it in a bank and get an Debit card. Make withdrawals as needed or even pay with the Debit card. The fees for using an ATM will be minimal and probably less that buying and installing a safe.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #8

send all your cash to me. I"ll take care of it for you! LOL
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #9

Valuables I would leave at home/friend unless you wear it all the time. I would use a CC the majority of the time, but I understand cash works for the small purchases, etc. A small container labeled "used black tank connectors" would keep me out of it for sure. LOL

Enjoy your trip.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #10

I just wanted to point out that we took a ten week trip from Maine to Alaska and back last summer.

We took $200 in cash.. A month later we had to go to an ATM again for another $200.
You don't need a lot of cash. Presumably you will go grocery shopping
Take a debit card and visit the bank of grocery store as you need to. We did this every few days and took $40 or so cash back at each checkout.
Electronic cards work well all the way along the Alaska Highway. While you may feel you are leaving civilization, you are not.

Even on the Stewart Cassiar Highway which is far more remote than the Alaska Highway.

It does pay to have a bit of cash to pay for gasoline.. Periodically gas "stations" ( they really are tanks above ground with a nozzle) do not have internet connectivity to process CC. The genny may be running the pump.

This happened to us once but only once at Liard River.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #11

I use a 45 to hide mine.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I use a 45 to hide mine.

Don’t bring it to Canada. We don’t allow them.
Robecage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robecage View Post
Don’t bring it to Canada. We don’t allow them.
What type of guns can you bring into Canada to Alaska? Hunting rifles or shotguns?
alanhenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
What type of guns can you bring into Canada to Alaska? Hunting rifles or shotguns?

Check with Canada Border Service. I believe you can bring long guns but not ammo and definitely tell the border guard what you have.
Robecage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #15

Ayyiyi
Quote:
Originally Posted by robecage View Post
check with canada border service. I believe you can bring long guns but not ammo and definitely tell the border guard what you have.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
You can take, long guns and handguns as long as you fill out the proper Canadian declaration form and present it at your first border crossing.

"U.S. citizens bringing firearms into Canada, or taking firearms through Canada to Alaska are required to fill out a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration (Form CAFC 909 EF). The form must be presented in triplicate, unsigned, to a Canadian customs officer at the traveler's first point of entry into Canada.Jan 18, 2018"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:59 PM   #17
Site Team

Not intending to take this thread off topic. But we have to take regular self defense classes for where I work. Our instructor tells us that the front pocket is the safest place to carry cash or other valuables. He claims that the front pocket is much harder to be picked than a back pocket or purse.

For those of you that carry, he teaches us that the wallet and keys go in the weak hand front pocket. Strong hand/shooting hand is always free.

Again, just passing it on with no claim to the accuracy of the info. Just what we are taught in class.
Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #18

In a Precept short term valuable storage could be under the mattress in the OH cab bunk when it’s in the stored position. If you remove the key it’s virtually impossible to lower the bunk without destroying it and if that happens you’ve got bigger problems. Or you could put it behind the flip up bedroom TV. There is a removable panel under the fridge and also for water heater access in the hallway. Don’t bring jewelry unless you buy it along the way. As others have mentioned a credit or debit card is the best way to go. Do what you are most comfortable with and live with your decision. Have a great trip and safe travels.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #19

Most burglars want to be in and out really quickly. I do not have a Precept, but I have found lots of good places to stash cash and even my DW's purse in our HTT. When we go for an extended travel, I tend to take a few hundred dollars with and found places to stash the cash.

I have pulled a few additional wires through our HTT. I found the shelving is 2 sheets of think plywood board with a spacer block between In two spots, I never nailed the top board down. I can now just lift the board and stash my wallet or cash.

To stash just cash, there are may options. For example, if you have an extra, travel coffee mug (with lid) roll the cash, put it in the cup, and then in the cabinet with the rest of the mugs. It fits right in, no one will be any wiser. You can do a similar thing with an empty Chlorox wipes container, and have it with your other cleaners.

I would not put it drawers, or in closets, burglars tend to head right to these spots. I also would not tend to place your stash near your electronics, even a plugged in cell phone charger.

If you have a tanked water heater, and need to use a tool to access the bypass valves, you could make a stash there. but be wise, do not leave the screw driver out, or someone might thing, hey there is only one tool around and it can access the one spot that is secured.

There are lots of hidden spots, in out htt, so I am sure you can take 30 minutes and find a great spot.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #20

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. You guys have really come through.

Thanks
Tarheel11 is offline   Reply With Quote