Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #31

No need to be freaked out. We are just like you. If it wasn't for an imaginary dashed line on the 49th parallel then you wouldn't know the difference. If the possibility of a small delay at a border crossing keeps you from travelling north then it is your loss. With exchange rates currently at 20% it is even financially a win for you to travel to Canada.

Camping is about the adventure. Get out of your comfort zone and explore the world.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
No need to be freaked out. We are just like you. If it wasn't for an imaginary dashed line on the 49th parallel then you wouldn't know the difference. If the possibility of a small delay at a border crossing keeps you from travelling north then it is your loss. With exchange rates currently at 20% it is even financially a win for you to travel to Canada.

Camping is about the adventure. Get out of your comfort zone and explore the world.
x10

Well said.

I did start my 1st post with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
I've only crossed to Canada a couple times towing a travel trailer, but I cross often towing my sailboat to regattas. To date I have never been pulled over for secondary inspection while towing. (knock/touch wood) ...
That is with over 40+ years of border crossing. Much of it towing my boat.

My knocking/touching wood superstition is used for any time I mention not having had any engine troubles, wheel bearing troubles, marital troubles, etc.

Crossing the border either direction is no big deal providing that you have your passports and general house in order. "House in order" is as simple as your reason for crossing being logical. Back in the day when I was behind the wheel heading across for the occasional boys night out adult entertainment, I would say exactly where we were going. That freaked out some of the guys with me, but not one official ever batted an eye at that whether male or female. Just tell the truth.

Make certain to have Canadian Bacon for breakfast and Poutine when the opportunity presents itself. I find the Poutine in the Montreal area is especially well put together.

Happy Travels
vic

P.S. - If you have any under age guest children with you be certain to have letters/documentation from the parents stating they know and consent to the border crossing. (Sorry to alarm, but forewarned is forearmed.)

VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #33

A cousin of mine and her husband crossed into Canada (not sure of where). When asked if he had handguns, DH said "No" which was not the truth. After the border patrol found the guns in the glove compartment DW (and surely DH) wished he had told the truth as they carted him off to jail and it took some talking to get him out of the situation.
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #34

Well, we're here.

Left Ohio Sunday at 10:00 AM and drove to KOA in Westfield, NY, where we spent the night. Didn't even unhook the truck. That left us 85 miles to our CG in Niagara Falls. Crossed Peace Bridge and arrived here and were set up by 1:00.

However, at the border we were detained for a secondary inspection. Crossing during a non-rush hour time, which was our plan, seemed to work against us, as we had to answer to 5 different agents. I could hear them slamming cabinet doors in the Jayco. In all, they spent about 15 minutes looking through it and the truck. They did manage to confiscate my wife's pepper spray.

A bit unsettling, but being that we had nothing to hide and were totally honest, it was worth it. Surely wouldn't let it keep me from traveling here again. I appreciate that Canada wants to keep their country safe.

Cheers,
Greg
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #35

We are planning to cross early July. So I am following your posts.

Question about pepper spray. I was told that pepper spray was considered a weapon thus illegal but that bear spray was permitted. Does anyone know if this is true? I do carry a few canisters of bear spray.
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob View Post
We are planning to cross early July. So I am following your posts.

Question about pepper spray. I was told that pepper spray was considered a weapon thus illegal but that bear spray was permitted. Does anyone know if this is true? I do carry a few canisters of bear spray.
Mid July for us....Wife is all kinda nervous.

She is going to crack under the pressure...

Old 05-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #37

The bear spray comment is entirely true. The agent mentioned it to my wife by name when she mentioned that she carries pepper spray because a dogs in our neighborhood.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #38

Ironically, just saw on the Buffalo news that a man was taken into custody today for trying to cross into Canada, via Peace Bridge, while concealing a loaded handgun.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Well, we're here.

However, at the border we were detained for a secondary inspection. Crossing during a non-rush hour time, which was our plan, seemed to work against us, as we had to answer to 5 different agents. I could hear them slamming cabinet doors in the Jayco. In all, they spent about 15 minutes looking through it and the truck. They did manage to confiscate my wife's pepper spray.

Cheers,
Greg
We went through that in 2004 when we crossed over in North Dakota.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob View Post
... Does anyone know if this is true? I do carry a few canisters of bear spray.
I do know that pepper spray is not allowed and as was mentioned above, it will be confiscated if discovered. So far I haven't heard of any problems beyond the undeclared spray just being confiscated. That is as opposed to undeclared firearms or military style weapons (eg. - special purpose/large knives) which have the very real potential to land you in jail.

Bear spray...
It certainly is not out of the question that a camper heading to the north woods might be carrying that. If you can't verify 100% that it is ok I would just carry one can. That way you don't lose your entire inventory.

FWIW vic

VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote