Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

Crossing Border to Niagara Falls, Canada

DW and I will be crossing from Buffalo into Canada May 11, for a 4 night stay at Jellystone Park near Niagara Falls. Our first trip there in our TT. I think we are up to speed on our needs and requirements for the actual crossing, but I'm concerned about where to make the crossing, my thinking being that I'm wanting to find the place to most comfortably do so. Any help from experienced travelers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #2

I'm not exactly sure what the laws are - or if they are the same, more lax, or stricter than they were in 2010. But we were planning on crossing into Canada with our camper at Glacier NP and camping on the Canadian side. The day before we planned this, we took a day trip (with the TV only) into the Canadian side of the park. We had to show passports and a guard looked through the stuff in the Suburban, but we didn't have a lot in there. As we crossed, however, we saw a travel trailer that was being inspected and EVERYTHING inside was hauled out onto the road, beside the trailer. THAT made the decision for us. NO STINKING WAY! So we stayed camped on the USA side.

Also, if you have a handgun that you carry with you, they will confiscate that at the border. Not sure if you will get it back, even if you go back through the same port of entry.

Maybe someone else has more up-to-date information. But because of that experience, we have never planned on taking our camping trailer into Canada. Evidently they don't want our money there - they make it difficult.

Not picking on Canadians, but all I know is what I saw and the answers I got (not many) when I asked questions of the border guard.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #3

No hand guns.....likely the reason why the trailer was getting inspected the way the above poster saw.

Like any crossing, your vehicle can be subjected to inspection. Being honest is the key.

Passport is all that is required as well as ownerships of both the TV and trailer.

It is much harder going the other way and more scrutiny.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #4

Scout didn't say that trailer had a gun... I can't imagine that time and frustration it would take to empty our trailer...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies, but what I'm wanting to know is what route of entry, i.e., Peace Bridge, or some other point. I don't want to end up in a tight spot somewhere, what with my limited experience towing. Want to make things as easy on myself as possible.

Also, is there some place to pull over, like a visitor's center, after entering Canada at Niagara Falls? Some place to then figure our best way of getting to the CG. Haven't been there for about 15 years, and I wasn't towing then, so I had no reason to look out for things I need to look out for now.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 04-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyron
Crossing Border to Niagara Falls, Canada

I crossed from Buffalo to the Peace Bridge yesterday mid afternoon.
There were 8 lines of traffic and maybe 10 or 12 vehicles in each line.
Each line was moving well and taking around 30 minutes plus waiting to get through the line up.
Several T.Ts. were in the lines and and went through the process with the Border Guards in several minutes or more and were not pulled over for inspection. Honesty is the best policy.
Be also careful what foods you have on board. Best to buy groceries after you set up camp or you might just loose some of your favorite foods at the border.
I have crossed many times at the various borders. The trailer was inspected once with no problems.
There are areas to pull over beyond the check point and very limited on the Buffalo side.
To minimize maneuvering pick a line that is straight in front of you and you will have no issues.
Skyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #7

Produce/meat, guns, and a criminal record will be problematic. By the way those four things are also problematic for us Canadians going south. Treat the guard with respect and answer the questions honestly and all will go well. Also make sure you have your vet records if your bringing a pet. I cross the borders regularly and it is quicker to find smaller crossings.

If you are not doing or bringing anything in you shouldn't, then why miss the opportunity to travel in one of the most beautiful and safe countries in the world. Easy communications, great exchange rate on your currency, smooth highways, and friendly people. Don't miss out on weeks of fabulous camping because of 30 minutes at the border.

This message brought to by.......
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #8

Definitely cross at the peace bridge, it will be a short drive up the highway from Ft. Erie to Niagara Falls and into Jellystone without going through tight congested roads.
Don't get worried about the border. Have your passports. Also a good idea to have a printout for the campground reservations. It shows you have an actual destination and duration of stay.
As stated above you have to be careful what food you bring. We grocery shop in the US every month. You cannot bring fruits into Canada, no chicken or eggs right now because of avian flu. If you drink beer buy it before you cross, it's double the price here in Canada. Check Canada Customs website for more info on do's and don'ts.
Just be honest when answering the questions. If you give them reason to search your vehicles, they will.
We Canadians are friendly people eh. We always welcome visitors to enjoy our country.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #9

Peace Bridge or Queenston Lewiston Bridge would be best for travelling with the trailer.

The Rainbow bridge is doable, but is a little tighter.

The Whirlpool bridge is only for Nexus member, plus they don't allow trailers on that bridge.

Both Queenston/Lewiston and the Peace Bridge utilize the EZ pass pay system, which is the widely accepted payment method on North Eastern United States toll roads. Alternately, you can pay cash, $3.50US for the truck, $3.50 per additional axle. The toll is only payable when entering Canada. There is no toll to return to the USA.

Follow lanes that are clearly marked for RVs.

Be honest with the border guards, you can't get in trouble if you declare what you have.

The Canadian side looks down on;

1. Guns
2. Over $10,000 in cash
3. Fruit

The USA border looks down on;

1. Firewood
2. Some meats (but this has loosened up a lot)
3. Fruit

Have your ownership ready for both the tow vehicle and trailer. If you drive a diesel, shut it off when you enter the booth area.

If you have a crew cab, roll down the back windows, it shows you have nothing to hide.

If you cross in the evening, also turn on the interior lights as you approach the booth. Again this shows you have nothing to hide.

I cross the border each week with my truck and never have trouble. I cross the border 6-8 times per year with the trailer and have never been sent in for inspection.

Enjoy Niagara Falls. I live 20 minutes from there.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #10

Thanks for the great information. We'll probably just hit the Peace Bridge and buy provisions in Canada. We're staying 4 nights, so it's not like we need to load up on much of anything.

Thanks again,
Greg
Old 04-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #11

Enjoy the trip eh! Please let us know how it goes; good and the bad.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #12
Site Team

You might want to visit the website for the US Embassy in Ottawa at this link:

Driving in Canada | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada

There's a lot of good, useful information here on not only driving in Canada, but other topics as well.

Have a safe trip!

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:45 PM   #13

I am planning this crossing in July. Thanks for all the great info guys.
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #14

What is the work around for bringing a hand gun? Canada is on my list of places to camp and backpack but there is no way I am exploring the wilderness areas without a sidearm.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #15

A handgun is a no-no. You will at best lose it at the border and at worst get some time in front of the judge. Best bet for wilderness security is a 12 gauge. Long guns with the proper paperwork is ok. FYI a Mares Leg is considered a long gun in Canada.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #16

Ah, so it's just handguns; that's weird but I am ok with bringing my .30-06 instead. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2015, 07:33 AM   #17

I've only crossed to Canada a couple times towing a travel trailer, but I cross often towing my sailboat to regattas. To date I have never been pulled over for secondary inspection while towing. (knock/touch wood)

I agree that either the Lewiston-Queenston or Peace Bridge are basically equal as to being trailer friendly.

Some things I believe.

Remove your sunglasses at the booth.

Open your passports/documents to the proper page before handing them over. That shows a bit of respect.

Answer the questions, but don't get too chatty. Less is more when interacting.

Once to the booth stop at the proper marked distance from the vehicle ahead. DO NOT PROCEED UNTIL THE VEHICLE AHEAD IS OBVIOUSLY AWAY OR YOU SEE A SIGNAL TO DO SO. It really p*sses them off if you pull up too soon.

Remember when entering Canada only one case of beer or one bottle of liquor per adult is allowed. (If they inspect and find partial open bottles of liquor in your trailer remember the term "bar stock". I don't know if it directly applies to travel trailers or trailered boats, but they recognize and accept that term for boats in the water. If it doesn't work at least you can say, "Sorry. I thought that it applied to my home on wheels.")

Declare long guns. You will automatically be sent to secondary to complete the proper paperwork. Canada gun laws are very strict. No handguns allowed for foreigners.
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rights...nstocanada.htm

When returning to the USA keep in mind that the interaction at the booth is a "verbal declaration". If you are pulled over for a secondary inspection one of the first things that they may do is have you complete a form. That is the official document. Include everything you can remember on that document, like that extra bottle(s) of duty free liquor you forgot to mention.

Don't worry about the crossings. I cross the border often. I've had no problems when doing so in either direction.

Have fun. vic

Added: Be careful with what is on your computers. A Canadian friend of mine imported a boat from Michigan to Toronto. He fudged the selling price on the import paperwork. They did a secondary inspection and found documentation on his laptop which showed the correct selling price. Needless to say he now gets pulled over each time he returns to Canada.

You may technically have legal rights and recourse, but it is best to assume that you have no rights when entering a foreign country or even returning home to the USA . They can and will search anything they feel appropriate.
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #18

Just a comment about the one of the two experiences I had entering Canada and returning to the U.S.

My wife and I were riding a motorcycle. Entering Canada was no problem. However, returning to the U.S. had a problem. They wanted to see my wife's ID. It was in the tour pack and she must get off the motorcycle to retrieve it. Now the Catch 22 ensues:

Crossing guard: I need to see your ID.
[Wife proceeds to get of the motorcycle to get it]
Crossing guard: You can't get off the motorcycle.
Wife: My ID is in the tour pack.
Wife: I must get off to get it.
Crossing guard: You can't get off.
Wife: If you want to see my ID I must get off.
Wife: I need to get off to get it.
Crossing guard: You can't get off.
Me: Look, either she gets off to get it or you don't see it. Now make up your mind which way you want it. You can't have it both ways.

He finally let us pass.

These crossing guards have a very limited ability to reason on their own and follow the book chapter and verse. And with a zero sense of humor.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #19

Greg any major boarder crossing will have room for the RV.. no worries there.
Leave all firearms in the USA. Self defense with a firearm is NOT allowed in Canada. Firearms confiscated will not be returned.
Make sure your fuel tank is full before coming here.. our fuel is way more expensive. Meats fruit and veggies MAY be confiscated.. We do not recognize medical MJ so if you are caught with it you will be charged with drug trafficking.. at the very least it will be confiscated and you will be deported.. worst case jail time.. A drunk driving conviction will get you barred from entering.. (or any other criminal conviction) Our laws are different so what may be a misdemeanor in the US maybe looked at very differently here.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:59 PM   #20

Thanks to each of you for the great input. I'll be sure and post here about our trip.

Cheers,
Greg