Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

Crosswinds, sensations, etc

Looking for some advice from the seasoned veterans in the forum. I am admitting to being a white knuckler every time I'm towing my trailer and it's usually because of one thing...crosswinds...I just got back from an outing this weekend and had brutal winds that had me sweating bullets while towing. I really, really don't want to have to feel like this each and every time I'm towing. How does everyone deal with it? I feel like the winds threaten to send me to and fro and am looking for suggestions with how to eliminate this situation...I am just running a straight wdh setup and do not have sway bars or a fancy sway hitch either. Do they make a noticeable difference?

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

I cannot understand why anyone would not run a load balancing hitch with sway bars. I have a Reese hitch, not sure which model, but they work. I just drove across Wisconsin this weekend. Some sections of I94 are known for strong cross winds. I had no concerns about driving one handed. The only thing that makes my TT/TV move is when a big old Kenworth passes me. That Kenworth has to be an old one that is very boxy and not aerodynamic. Then it only gives me a small wiggle.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #3

Having towed TT's for quite a few years, I can agree with Jagiven that anti sway bars really do work, and are, IMHO, a necessity. On one very memorable occason, I had friction sway bars, and usually loosened them when manuvering around a campground, just to reduce wear on them. Unfortunately, on this one occasion, I got distracted and forgot to tighten them before going out on the road. It took about 200 feet of travel at speed to realize what I had not done - swaying was very evident. Stopped, tightened bars, no further problem. Highly recommend that you install some bars, and you will notice a big difference, and be much safer.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #4

If you are thinking about buying a hitch setup like an Equilizer or a Reese Cam system, it will be the best money you ever spend. It will keep you safer too.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #5

Last week I drove across northern WY where there were some 25 and 30 mph cross winds. I felt very comfortable and no sway at all. Could hardly tell the TT was back there except it slows you down on the hills and stopping for fuel more often. As mentioned in a previous post a large tractor trailer rig going by will give some sway. That is to be expected. I keep my speed at about 55 mph and I have the Reese Trunion with dual cam. Nice setup.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #6

I have to say that being new to forum, you can take this for what it's worth. We are currently waiting to pick up our new Jayco, but we currently fulltime in an Airstream. We put about 27k miles towing last year all over the west coast, and can say that there were instances that we would still white knuckle!

On this new leg of our journey (we're currently doing the east coast) we decided to up the ante so to speak, and spring for the best of the best as far as hitches go, and bought a Hensley Arrow (or ProPride, essentially the same thing, just slightly different set up). I can say that the difference is literally night and day, and we have never swayed since, no white knuckling at all, no movement from wind, trucks, etc. We spend all of this money on our TV's and TT's (as well as the non-monetary value of our lives and the lives of our kids) and then tend to go cheap on what is probably the biggest safety part of the equation -- the hitch!

Again, take it for what it's worth, but we'll never go back and the peace of mind has been priceless.
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I cannot understand why anyone would not run a load balancing hitch with sway bars. I have a Reese hitch, not sure which model, but they work. I just drove across Wisconsin this weekend. Some sections of I94 are known for strong cross winds. I had no concerns about driving one handed. The only thing that makes my TT/TV move is when a big old Kenworth passes me. That Kenworth has to be an old one that is very boxy and not aerodynamic. Then it only gives me a small wiggle.
I made the same trek from Minneapolis across Wisconsin on Thursday; must have been a +30 mph headwind with rain, road construction, lots of semis, etc all make for stressful driving. My Equal-i-zer with integrated sway control worked great, really kept the trailer planted behind the Jeep.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #8

Hensley Arrow hitch

I was just about to ask if anyone had any experience with using a Hensley Arrow set up and voila, out comes a comment from a user saying how wonderful they are. I have heard countless stories about the Hensley being the best setup out there and that they are worth every penny in order to guarantee a stress-free towing experience. Any other Hensley owners out there care to chime in with their own experiences?

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote