Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #1

Cruise control while towing?

Trying to get a definitive answer to use cruise control or not.
Internet searches show a mixed bag of responses. So, turning to the people that have a lot of experience. Do you use your TV cruise control while towing?
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #2

yup pretty much all the time!
I just take over on the hills depending on how steep
Put in tow haul let the truck computer do the thinking.
We just watch out for others on the road.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #3

Same here. Use it all the time except for hills and some overpasses. It’s too aggressive for me on some hills. I can tell when it’s going to downshift too hard for me. I will say the 6 speed transmission is better for hills than the old 5 speed in the V10.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
yup pretty much all the time!
I just take over on the hills depending on how steep
Put in tow haul let the truck computer do the thinking.
We just watch out for others on the road.

RoadrunnerII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
Same here. Use it all the time except for hills and some overpasses.
Me three!!!!
Old 12-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #5

Not sure what you tow with or are towing but I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I use cruise on those long and relatively flat areas. When it starts to rev high or change gears a lot, I change to gas pedal to prevent overheating the transmission which is the killer of transmission fluid and the tranny.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #6

Agree on all the above. I use cruise while towing all the time.
My Duramax rarely downshifts unless I'm in the hills.
Gas vehicles are a little different. My Yukon, I'll tow with the cruise but if it starts downshifting out of overdrive, I'll lock out the o/d and still use cruise. Engine RPM's run a little higher, lose a little MPG but it's better than losing a transmission. Owners manual will say the same.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #7

I will use cruise also, but will not use it with heavy side winds, and like the others mentioned when I am in the hills.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
CAG

Always, with both the 5th wheel when we had it and the Class C now and the Jeep behind.

The Duramax set at 65 and in cruse would maintain 65 up or down hills. The down hill was mostly where I liked it the best and if the hill (mountain) called for less speed, I set the cruise at what I wanted for speed and the Turbobrake maintained that speed.

It is pretty much the same for the Ford. I set it, it shifts as needed to maintain the speed I want. I have found that the Ford wants to add 5 mph to my setting when coming downhill which can be scary coming off the Rim or Sunset Point so I drop the speed on those locations and reset the cruise.

On flat land it saves my leg, maintains the speed I want, usually 65, and lets me move the legs around to keep from cramping and for comfort. It also levels out the gas mileage, although that is never that good at about any speed.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #9
CAG

Quote:
I'll tow with the cruise but if it starts downshifting out of overdrive, I'll lock out the o/d and still use cruise

I never used "overdrive" with the Duramax. Always in Tow/Haul which stops most of the shifting because the computer now knows it is towing and locks up the shift points.

With the vehicles today, you are better off letting the computer drive it rather than trying to fool it into what you want. They are designed to save the engine and transmission by doing their own thing.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:02 PM   #10

Same here, cruise whenever I can. Also use the tow button, but I keep forgetting to set it after rest stops. Doesn’t take long before I think “what the heck is going on, ahhh, set tow button”. Makes. Big difference.
2017 Duramax, with cruise and tow button, engine and transmission will maintain your speed up and down hills so you save brakes for when you really need them.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #11

Always use cruise control except on "rolling hills" I have found that sometimes going over the peak of a hill it will shirt the transmission into a lower gear and then when starting down the lower gear causes and increase in speed. Dealer checked it out, nothing wrong with it.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 02:42 PM   #12

I use cruise control when towing, but I have a diesel and a 10K lbs trailer and tow at a max speed of 68mph. With a gas engine, I used to speed up slightly as I approached a hill and let it slow down a little as I climbed the hill rather than downshift and rev the engine.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:54 PM   #13

Another “yes” for cruise control and tow/haul, the F350 does a good job but I will take it off cruise for uphill/downhill grades where I want more control over downshifting.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 04:56 PM   #14

Check your owners manual to verify. I use cruise all the time without any issues.
Old 12-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #15
CAG

One issue that I do not like with the Ford 450 that the Chevy never did was kick out of cruise on a climb. I hate that! The Duramax stayed in cruise no matter what, and in most cases held 65, blowing off the Fords and Dodges up major inclines. Sorry Ford owners. This Ford decides on it's own when it is going to kick out of cruise and I then have to get on the gas to keep up. Typical Ford! Still, let the computer work things. I then get on the gas and keep trucking up the grade, and we have some nice grades getting out of the Valley. I have never overheated, and never had an issue making the top of the mountain. Let the computer do the decision work. Keep your foot in it until the computer says otherwise.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:26 PM   #16

I use cruise control while towing unless terrain, weather, or traffic dictate that I shouldn't. I mostly camp in the Midwest, so no mountain climbing. I do normally goose the throttle a little before climbing a hill so the truck does not shift and rev a lot before finishing the climb.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #17

I leave it in cruise and let the truck do its thing. First couple times going up the mountains I put it in a lower gear and it was not good. Next time left things alone and wentup the mountain. Puter can sense when to do things.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:56 PM   #18

I almost never use cruise while towing. PA has too many long hills and I get better mileage using my foot.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:07 AM   #19

Pretty much use cruise all the time. Set at 60 and let the world go by. Reduces driving stress. Only take off for short periods when in hilly area. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I use cruise control while towing unless terrain, weather, or traffic dictate that I shouldn't. I mostly camp in the Midwest, so no mountain climbing. I do normally goose the throttle a little before climbing a hill so the truck does not shift and rev a lot before finishing the climb.
x2 - I tend to look ahead for hills approaching, I may give it a little extra gas to get up the hill without downshifting too much but otherwise use cruise unless driving conditions dictate otherwise.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote