Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #1

Question Curious?

When using the LP for hot water I shut the hwh off for the day after our showers and dish washing. I turn it back on the next AM a half hour before our showers and repeat. I do this to save gas but am I really saving any gas? My buddy does the same with his even if he is using electric to save the element etc. Are we misguided souls here or are we actually saving a buck or two? Don't call us cheap as the DW's already take care of that.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #2

I’ve never turned mine off and on. Maybe I’m just lazy but I want hot water when I want it, not planning ahead or forgetting to flip it on and then cold showers before bed. I’ve been doing it that way for over 3 years and no issues. No different that your water heater at home that sits there on for 20 years and more in my opinion. I’ve got enough to keep on my daily checklist without adding HW heater flipping switches.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I’ve never turned mine off and on.
X-2 over a span of 42 years...
Old 07-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #4

its a matter of physics... it takes 8.33 BTU's to heat a gallon of water one degree F. Its the same in the morning or evening.

Technically, you could save a few BTU's in lost heat from storing the heated water, but the difference will never be really measurable from the small amount of propane you would save.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #5

I turn our propane off after showers in the evening.. the water is still hot in the morning. Only takes about 10 - 15 minutes to heat for showers at night. Just don't like wasting propane for 23 + hours when were not using it. Normally if were somewhere where we are not using the AC especially when were gone, I may leave the electric water heat on. But being in this miserable humidity (Love our dry West ! ) I don't want issues when the Ac keeps coming on and off while were gone, hence, the propane.

It's not that difficult to push a button and turn propane off....or on...JMHO

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #6

Everybody has their own procedure it seems. My method is to use the electric 24 hours a day when plugged in. Before the 1st shower I turn on the gas in addition to the electric so the water will heat faster...mainly because I take the 2nd shower....

If no electric available we turn off the gas water heater before going to bed...for safeties sake, then turn it on 1st thing in the morning.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #7

X2 on using electric and gas.

We leave ours on electric until showers / dish washing when I flip the gas switch. IMO, the gas seems to keep up better during heavy loads.
Yotahilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
When using the LP for hot water I shut the hwh off for the day after our showers and dish washing. I turn it back on the next AM a half hour before our showers and repeat. I do this to save gas but am I really saving any gas? My buddy does the same with his even if he is using electric to save the element etc. Are we misguided souls here or are we actually saving a buck or two? Don't call us cheap as the DW's already take care of that.
I do the same ( and I’m not cheap) , doing this now for 6 years and I’ve never run out of hot water. It’s not about saving a $ or $$ but conserving energy, it’s not much but if we all do our part hopefully it helps with increases in nightly fees. I see it every trip people taking real long showers, leaving the door open and the space heaters going full blast.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #9

I just leave mine on as the thermostat will turn the heater on and off as needed. I rarely heat it at all and I sleep right beside the heater in my hybrid with windows open. Never had a problem. It is primarily the only use I have for propane and my tank usually lasts about 2 years. Just filled it last week for $27.00. Figures out pretty cheap over that time and I have all the hot water I need.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #10

If on electric I tend to leave it on all day, and off at night. When using gas it is only on when needed.

My parent's had a water heater fire. Flames up the side of the tt, and the thermal fuse did not burn out. They saw the flames through the window. They flipped the gas switch and the flames went out. It was determined a spiderweb in the burner caused the fire. Hence I turn off the gas when not in use.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I do the same ( and I’m not cheap) , doing this now for 6 years and I’ve never run out of hot water. It’s not about saving a $ or $$ but conserving energy, it’s not much but if we all do our part hopefully it helps with increases in nightly fees. I see it every trip people taking real long showers, leaving the door open and the space heaters going full blast.
Thank you Tunce for your answer. I like your ecological approach to my question as it means I am not cheap but rather sensitive to environmental concerns and conserving energy. My DW likes that as well so will continue on.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote