Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #1

Cut the cord!

I finally did it. Getting our power cord in and out is a huge pain. On Tuesday, after a 10 hour drive, it took me 45 minutes to get it out in Needles. So, in Tucson today I cut the cord and left about 5 feet. Then I attached a male connector to it. On the longer part, I attached a female connector to it.

Now it will take minutes to get unplugged instead of 30 to 60 minutes.

Don't know why I waited so long.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #2

Some folks have done this without issues. If your trailer setup includes an optional connected 120VAC generator or an optional 120VAC power source from a Power Inverter you may have a safety violation with the MALE 120VAC Plug hanging on the side of your trailer with 'HOT' male prongs being accessible.

Normally you will NOT have 120VAC coming from the trailer side...

Roy Ken

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Some folks have done this without issues. If your trailer setup includes an optional connected 120VAC generator or an optional 120VAC power source from a Power Inverter you may have a safety violation with the MALE 120VAC Plug hanging on the side of your trailer with 'HOT' male prongs being accessible.

Normally you will NOT have 120VAC coming from the trailer side...

Roy Ken
Confused?? The OEM power cord on the TT comes with a male plug so that it can be plugged into the 30amp on the power post. The OP's mod simply shortens the length to 5' so it is easy to stow into the side port on the tt. I am going to do the same thing before my upcoming trip in a couple weeks.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Obviously, everyone well understands all this, so we all know that the power cords are best when they are the sealed end versions, with minimal connections, and need to be checked regularly for corrosion and damage. We also all know that some people, none of the forum members of course, don't check their wiring connections and sometimes mis-wire, which can cause a hot skin condition under certain circumstances. We also know that not all cords are equal and that none of us would use a 15 amp extension cord when they needed a 30 amp
cord. We all check our rigs for a hot skin daily and all monitor our voltage and have automatic voltage monitors. And we all took electrical training so we understand electricity, how to use our tools, and our three electrical systems.

The word normally means we are supposed to check and confirm, but not if we don't have time or are bored and this stuff is very simple.
That some folks have done this without issues means some folks have had issues, though mysteriously as electricity is mysterious.

So all is good!
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
I finally did it. Getting our power cord in and out is a huge pain. On Tuesday, after a 10 hour drive, it took me 45 minutes to get it out in Needles. So, in Tucson today I cut the cord and left about 5 feet. Then I attached a male connector to it. On the longer part, I attached a female connector to it.

Now it will take minutes to get unplugged instead of 30 to 60 minutes.

Don't know why I waited so long.
So if I understand correctly:
You cut the cord 5' from the trailer and added a male plug.
You then took the piece that had been cut off and added a female connector where it had been cut, essentially just turning the cutoff piece into an extension cord.

This way you don't have to deal with pulling/stuffing the whole 30' cord (or however long it was) in and out of the hole. You now only have 5' to deal with and you can store your newly created extension cord separately.

I don't know anything about the White Hawk 23mrb, but I'm assuming it's a real pain in the neck to get the power cord out of the hole.

Are all the Jayco's like this? I'm curious as I have a new rig coming in the next few weeks and i didn't look at the power cord on the demo i looked at.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #6

I had a problem with my power cord on a trip in 2014, it got tangled up inside the storage area and I had a terrible time getting it out. Ended up using the extension cord, proper 30 amp cord, to attach to the cord I could pull out and then go to the post. Have considered doing this as well so I can store the cord elsewhere in the FW and not have to worry about getting it into and out of the storage area at the rear of the trailer.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
You then took the piece that had been cut off and added a female connector where it had been cut, essentially just turning the cutoff piece into an extension cord. That's my understanding of what the OP (tylersdad) did.

This way you don't have to deal with pulling/stuffing the whole 30' cord (or however long it was) in and out of the hole. You now only have 5' to deal with and you can store your newly created extension cord separately. Correct.

I don't know anything about the White Hawk 23mrb, but I'm assuming it's a real pain in the neck to get the power cord out of the hole. People have varying opinions on getting the power cord in and out. For example, it frustrates me, but DW doesn't mind.

Are all the Jayco's like this? As far as I know, yes. I'm curious as I have a new rig coming in the next few weeks and i didn't look at the power cord on the demo i looked at.
An issue not mentioned in this particular thread, is that it has been said that the cord should ALWAYS be pulled all the way out (I'm not sure of Jayco's recommendation). Since the cord has some resistance, and therefor heat, they say that 'wadding' it up in enclosed area is poor practice. Also, as the weather gets colder the cord gets stiffer so pulling the cord out and pushing it back in gets more difficult.
oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #8

The cord on our old '03 Kiwi 17a was a piece of cake to get in and out. Three seasons with our X20E and it's still a bit of pain to get the last foot in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
An issue not mentioned in this particular thread, is that it has been said that the cord should ALWAYS be pulled all the way out (I'm not sure of Jayco's recommendation). Since the cord has some resistance, and therefor heat, they say that 'wadding' it up in enclosed area is poor practice. Also, as the weather gets colder the cord gets stiffer so pulling the cord out and pushing it back in gets more difficult.
X2! And yes that is Jaycos recommendation.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #9

I got tired of fighting with the cord, especially in the rain so I installed a 30Amp 110VAC receptacle where the cable was stored. Now I just plug and unplug the shore-power cable, coil the cable up and put it in the rear storage area.

So much easier now....

Here is the link to my project.

Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
You then took the piece that had been cut off and added a female connector where it had been cut, essentially just turning the cutoff piece into an extension cord.

This way you don't have to deal with pulling/stuffing the whole 30' cord (or however long it was) in and out of the hole. You now only have 5' to deal with and you can store your newly created extension cord separately.

I don't know anything about the White Hawk 23mrb, but I'm assuming it's a real pain in the neck to get the power cord out of the hole.

Are all the Jayco's like this? I'm curious as I have a new rig coming in the next few weeks and i didn't look at the power cord on the demo i looked at.

You're understanding correctly. Our trailer is relatively small and the "box" that the cord gets fed into is incredibly small. It took 3 service guys 45 minutes to get it fed back in when we picked it up from the dealer.