Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #1

Daily Driver with Tow or Smaller Class C

Good evening! I have been wrestling this a few ways and wanted to get yall opinions on personal preference and pros/cons.
Current Set Up is a 2007 ExPort 17C with 09 Suburban TV which is my daily driver. My wife had 2010 subaru outback which i happen to enjoy driving. I really like the towability of the TV and trailer combo but i dont like having to keep a larger vehicle around just for our camping trips.

What are my pros and cons if i were to downsize my daily driver, trading in trailer and upgrading to class c rv. I think id prefer something on a E450 set up but i am not crazy about another drivetrain and engine to keep up. Would prefer a bunk set up with queen or king for us. Im not crazy about slides. More moving parts seems more maintenance.

We are a growing family with a 2yo and another due in May. My wife and i used the trailer a whole lot but would like to maximize our family time while we are on the road.

Id value any input yall can offer! Thanks!
theamazingmaynards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
Site Team

My biggest concern with a class C and small children is how do you handle child safety seats while in motion? I know that many people transport kids in class C's and also class A's, but it takes some interesting twists when you try and place car seats in the dinette or sofa areas depending on where seat belts are mounted, space between items in the coach, etc. I highly recommend that you shop for a Class C with your car safety seats in hand so that you can insure that they will fit in the unit in a safe manner and be functional for you while traveling.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:59 AM   #3
Site Team

We just purchased a 2017 GMC Terrain with the intention of using it as a daily driver and a TOAD if we ever go class C.

It's a downgrade from the XC60 Volvo but it was not towable.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #4

I've got a 3yr old and a 1yr old and I would not consider traveling with them in a motor home. The car seat thing is the reason. Often times the passenger seats are oriented such that the passenger is facing sideways, and trying to strap in a car seat on a dinette booth seat with a lap belt does not seem safe or reasonable to me.

I love daily driving a big vehicle. If I get into an accident or hit a deer or whatever, I will be safer in my truck than in a little car that saves some gas. Also, you said you've got another kid on the way - don't do any vehicle downsizing until you've tried it out with the new child along as well. Downsizing vehicles while growing a family does not seem like a good idea to me!

Cost wise, I think that by the time you get rid of your truck and trailer, buy a class C and have to maintain it, and then buy a replacement car, you would be better off just running what you've got if it works.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 AM   #5

all really great stuff! I hadnt even considered the car seats and the safety aspect of class c vehicles with small children. I think that might be reason enough for now!
theamazingmaynards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #6

To Tow or to Toad

I hadn't thought about the child safety seats, either. But I don't have any little ones, so it wasn't ever in the equation. For me, it came down to three things:

1) Two Drive Trains - I'm not mechanically inclined, so I didn't want to have to deal with the maintenance and expense of two drive trains. And if you have to take your motor home in for extended drive train service, you're without a house for however long it takes.

2) Daily Driver Requirements While Camping - I do a lot of fishing, hunting, and hauling while camping, so I need a vehicle to accommodate all of my gear and game. While a small AWD vehicle might serve most of your daily driving needs, try hauling a deer in one!

3) Travel Noise - Things you store in your RV (like pots & pans, dishes, flatware, refrigerated items, even the oven door & cooktop grates) tend to bounce around and rattle while you travel down the road. That can be very annoying to some people. In a motor home, it's just something you have to put up with. In a pull-behind, it's not even an issue.

For those reasons, I selected a truck and travel trailer. Your choice will depend on your needs and wants. I've always said, "You can either drive your car and pull your house, or you can drive your house and pull your car." The choice is up to you. Whichever choice you make, the most important thing is to enjoy it!
Old 01-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #7

The main reason we went with a travel trailer and tow vehicle (F-250 I use for my daily commute) is the freedom to set-up the trailer and travel with the tow vehicle once we're set-up. We had some experience with a class C and having to disconnect everything to travel locally and then set-up again when we got back was just too much work, especially when you get back to the campsite late at night.

My daily commute is only a 25 miles round trip so the extra cost of using the F-250 to commute isn't terrible. Another advantage is we have a lot of "stuff" in the bed of the truck (grill, gray tank tote, beach chairs, umbrellas, firewood, tools, etc.) which leaves all of the storage in the trailer for items you wouldn't want to store in a truck bed.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:31 AM   #8

Another advantage is we have a lot of "stuff" in the bed of the truck (grill, gray tank tote, beach chairs, umbrellas, firewood, tools, etc.) which leaves all of the storage in the trailer for items you wouldn't want to store in a truck bed.[/QUOTE]

Another reason I went with a bumper-pull!