Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
tld

Damage to tires when in contact with ground during storage???

Every once in a while I'll read something about how you shouldn't let your tires remain in contact with the ground for long periods of time, like during storage. Some say to run them up on boards or other materials. Does anyone have any solid info on this or know where I might go to get such info?
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #2

I'm thinking this is the only vehicle where the tires don't touch the ground for long periods of time. I think tires are designed to be on asphalt, concrete, or gravel. No need to park them on wood, plastic or other substitute surfaces.

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #3

I had never given much thought to this since I keep my TT stored inside. The following is what Goodyear has on their web site for RV Tires.

The best place to store tires is a clean, cool, dry, sunless area away from strong air currents. Even though the rubber used to make tires is formulated to resist the effects of sunlight, ozone, and water, the life of a tire can be extended if exposure to these elements is minimized during storage.

Stack tires flat so that the bottom tire will maintain its shape
Wrap each tire with an opaque polyethylene covering to minimize the effects of oxygen and ozone. Most Goodyear retailers have storage bags made specifically for this purpose
If tires are being stored outdoors, they should be raised off the storage surface
If tires are stored while mounted on rims, they should be inflated to 10 psi
If they are put in storage during warm weather, the initial inflation pressure should be about 15 psi to offset the pressure drop during cold weather months

How Not to Store Your Tires
Don't store tires in an area that is wet, oily or greasy
Don't store tires where they are subjected to direct sunlight or extreme temperatures
Don't store tires near electric motors or other ozone-generating sources
Don't store tires on black asphalt or other heat-absorbent surfaces
Don't store tires on or adjacent to highly reflective surfaces such as sand or snow

Storing Your Vehicle Without Removing the Tires
Ideally, a vehicle in storage should be placed on blocks to remove all weight from the tires. If the vehicle cannot be put on blocks, follow these steps for tire protection:
Completely unload the vehicle so that minimum weight will be placed on the tires
Inflate tires to recommended operating pressure plus 25%. Ensure that the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity is not exceeded
Be sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well drained and reasonably level
Avoid moving the vehicle during extremely cold weather
Move the vehicle at least every three months to prevent ozone cracking in the tire bulge area, as well as “flat-spotting” from the prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection
Adjust inflation before putting the vehicle back into service
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 AM   #4

As Sundancer330 posted from the Goodyear web site

The info in the Storing Your Vehicle Without Removing the Tires is probably the most pertinent to RV owners.

For Goodyear's recommendation of "Be sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well drained and reasonably level", even though our storage area is a gravel surface, I still put the tires on 2x12 boards during winter storage.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
tld

Thanks Sundancer330 and ROC-REQS, that is exactly the info I was looking for.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #6

It depends on how long you need your tires to last. I've never taken special care of RV tires. RV's were parked on dirt or gravel year round with the tire pressure set at normal running pressure and no tire covers to protect from sunlight.

Our old MH tires went almost 10 years before I replaced them due to sidewall cracks. The tires had almost 30k miles on them.

On the old trailer I was replacing tires every 20k miles (every 3 or 4 years). So, they never really had a chance to create sidewall cracks. The only thing I was careful of was to keep the speed down until they worked up to operating temperature.

Will see what happens with the Goodyear's on the new trailer. They are on the ground of whatever campground we are at. In SC we have a concrete pad. Most other places we stay it is gravel.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #7

Doesn't matter to me what my tires are on as long as it's not in standing water or in the sun. Where I store mine for winter one building is concrete floor and the other is dirt. I save a $1 a foot for the winter by parking on the dirt.