Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #1

De-winterizing flush question

I have the pink antifreeze stuff ran in my lines via the water pump. When it comes time to flush it for use is there a rule of thumb to follow as far as how much water to flush it with before calling it "safe"? I sanitized the lines with bleach water last fall but should I do this again after the antifreeze is removed from the system or just let the water flow 2-3mins after seeing no more pink stuff and call it done? Thanks.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #2

I think most folks let their fresh water "run clear". It doesn't have to run long to clear up.

I do the bleach treatment as a pre-season item. ... hook up the city connection and check for leaks, disconnect city connection and start water into tank, turn pump on and check for leaks, if OK, add bleach solution and finish filling tank

Later, after flushing system I figure I'm ready to go - at least as far as fresh water is concerned. And there's is no anti-freeze left at that point.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #3

Also if you let your trailer stand unused for any length of time do the clorox bleach technique to sanitize your system again. Better to be safe than sorry.
Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
I think most folks let their fresh water "run clear". It doesn't have to run long to clear up.

I do the bleach treatment as a pre-season item. ... hook up the city connection and check for leaks, disconnect city connection and start water into tank, turn pump on and check for leaks, if OK, add bleach solution and finish filling tank

Later, after flushing system I figure I'm ready to go - at least as far as fresh water is concerned. And there's is no anti-freeze left at that point.
That's what I do as well.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #5

OK good to know, thanks!
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #6

Where do you usually flush the antifreeze?
GoldMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #7

i just drain it in a buckrt and pour it down a drain in the house RV Antifreeze is not like what you use in your car it wont hurt you it just dosent taste that good in your coffee.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #8

I usually don't de-winterize until my first time out because my camper is in storage with no water source. When I get to the CG, I'll fill the fresh tank about 1/2 full and then turn on the pump. I let the pump do the talking to tell me if I have any leaks. When it pumps up and stops, I'm good to go. I will do a visual on all the under sink, shower etc plumbing to make sure no drain is leaking. Then I run each faucet until no pink is present. Back outside and dump 1.5 cups of bleach [86 gal. fresh tank] and fill the tank the rest of the way. Run each faucet until I smell bleach and let it sit in the lines for a while. This sanitizes the fresh tank as well. Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote