Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #1

dead batt after pulling unit home......

We were out in the trailer this weekend for a little hiking expo. While we were there we were hooked up to the shore power. When we were hooking up ready to leave, I noticed that the power cord to plug into my tow vehicle had been pinched and has damage to it. No problem, all lights and brakes still worked for the ride home. When we returned home, I tried to slide out the slides (power cord still hooked to vehicle) to no avail, it did not work. I unhooked the power cord from tow vehicle and tried the slides again, no work....... I eventually plugged in shore power to house to slide out the slides. I took the battery out and stuck it on the charger and it was dead.

Question, was this dead battery caused by the "cut" power cord to the tow vehicle?
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #2

Well if the TV can deliever 12 Volt to the batteries it can't charge it... Then if the the 12V line it pinch and shorted to something else it might bleed to death.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #3

But, the battery should have been fully charged before hooking up to the TV due to the fact that I was hooked up for two days to "shore power."

That's what I'm wondering, was the dead battery caused by the TV power cord shortage or do I have problems with the trailer battery charger?

If it was due to the battery charger, how would I know that?

Thanks,
Keith
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #4

At any rate it time to recharge the batteries and start checking over the wiring looking for a heavy draw. Check it over for the the draw hook up to the TV as well...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #5

It sounds to me as though your battery charger wasn't working while you were away. My van has a volt meter to indicate the level of the charge to the battery. For example, when I hook into mains power, it reads 14volts. If I'm running the van on batteries, it's usually about 13volts and of course when it gets down below 12.5 volts it's time to do something about it! If you don't have a volt meter in your system, you could measure the voltage at a 12v outlet with a multi meter. Do this with the battery charger both on and off and you should be able to determine whether it's working or not. All of the above will only diagnose a faulty charging system but it sounds very much like that being the problem. Good luck!
frednjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #6

I pinched my cable a while ago and it blew the fuse located at the battery as well as the fuse in the tow vehicle. I experienced symptoms just like you -- After fixing the TV fuse, everything worked when the 7 pin was plugged in, but it was dead when removed. Next I found the fuse at the battery was blown.... That also may explain why your battery was dead even on short power -- it may never have charged in the first place.

Check all the fuses and let us know what you find...

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote