Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #1

Dealer cost website

Anybody used this website to compare pricing on new units?
I did a quick check and compared the price I paid for my 2011 trailer to the 2012 dealer cost, looks like I did ok. Have to rember there are many other dealer costs such as pdi, and delivery to the dealer.

http://www.seedealercost.com/

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #2

I haven't seen that one before but it looks like a keeper so I bookmarked it. According to the invoice price on my TT, I did pretty well also.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Yeah I got mine for less then what they are showing as dealer invoice, and I had all options available at the time, but that was over two years ago.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #4

Interesting site. Thanks.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yeah I got mine for less then what they are showing as dealer invoice, and I had all options available at the time, but that was over two years ago. The MSRP they have does not jive with the Jayco website, its around 2000 less then what Jayco shows as the MSRP for the base model 28BHS. But as said there could be other add ons later.
The word on the street is, the name "Crabman" strikes fear into the hearts of RV dealers. They know you are a shrewd negotiator and it's only the cries of their hungry children that keep them in the fight.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
The word on the street is, the name "Crabman" strikes fear into the hearts of RV dealers. They know you are a shrewd negotiator and it's only the cries of their hungry children that keep them in the fight.
Haha, I wish it were so.

Actually there was no negotiation, one of my more simpler transactions. I asked for a quote, I liked quote received, I ordered. I see what used to be free pickup at their facility now has a freight charge though, I suppose a sign of these high fuel price times we live in.

http://www.rvdirect.com/
Old 03-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #7

JK...

I've read a lot of good stories about RVDIRECT. I'd seriously consider them for my next TT. Did you have a good experience?

Old 03-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Site Team

Yes, everything went as promised and when promised. I really do not have any local dealers, the nearest RV dealer of any kind is 70 miles away, and they really had nothing we wanted. As for a few other ones a bit further, I got bad vibes from their salesman. One gave me an outrageous quote and when I tried to negotiate he said basically that`s the price, and we are selling them like hotcakes everyday at that price (this was in the middle of the worse financial crisis since the Great depression, I was and am still skeptical about that statement). Another one I requested a quote twice on their "request a quote" web page, never got a reply email or phone call or a even a kiss my-. Didn`t want to sell trailers very bad did they? So I went with the no nonsense approach and ordered from RVD. Not sure where I would have gone for major warranty service, but luckily I never needed it. OK, disengage soapbox!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #9

Sounds like you made a great deal then... especially given the other dealer's attitude. They do seem to have very good prices and the quote process is no-nonsense. You have to like that.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #10

Curious what you are calling a good deal? Also, can this site be accurate?

Might be sharing too much, but hear it goes. Tell me if I got screwed or did ok, I'm a big boy and take it if I didn't do to well...we really enjoy the trailer anyway.

Admittedly we bought our trailer a bit blind. First time buyers, read a lot online and shopped 2 different dealers. We didn't get any online quotes, and paid $18,200+tax & title = $19,700 for our 26BH. We didn't pay any PDI or delivery and that included a husky centerline hitch.

According to the website, dealer cost for my TT and options are $16,020. The both dealers told my shipping to California was $2500...so if ll that is true I aid less than cost. My TT is 2012 and was dealer inventory, so either there are amazing holdbacks for TTs or this website isn't at all accurate. I don't see how anybody can stay in business selling for less than cost, nor o I expect them to not profit from me. Th
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #11

I had the same result as CM on my transaction with RV direct and the pricing I paid was slightly more than the listed cost as all options were listed there in the price so margin for the dealer has to be considered. It was still 20% less than anyone else within 150 miles of me. If you click on the price for your unit you see a fully selcted option sheet priced out so if you take out the options you don't have see if it's close. I too picked up for free and also received a nights stay on RV Direct FOC so how can I beat that.

I would do it again without hesitation and would highly reccomend them.

Great site for homework before you buy though!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #12

Diito crabman's and 3'senough responses. I just ordered my second Jayco 5th wheel 92nd in as many years) from RVDirect and according to this dealer cost website paid less than invoice. I know they have minimal overhead in the online portion of their business and they sell huge numbers of units annually so maybe they have some back end incentives loaded from Jayco? All I know is as long as they are around, I'll never buy another camper off the dealers lot. Great prices, friendly service and extremely simple people to deal with.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Curious what you are calling a good deal? Also, can this site be accurate?

Might be sharing too much, but hear it goes. Tell me if I got screwed or did ok, I'm a big boy and take it if I didn't do to well...we really enjoy the trailer anyway.

Admittedly we bought our trailer a bit blind. First time buyers, read a lot online and shopped 2 different dealers. We didn't get any online quotes, and paid $18,200+tax & title = $19,700 for our 26BH. We didn't pay any PDI or delivery and that included a husky centerline hitch.

According to the website, dealer cost for my TT and options are $16,020. The both dealers told my shipping to California was $2500...so if ll that is true I aid less than cost. My TT is 2012 and was dealer inventory, so either there are amazing holdbacks for TTs or this website isn't at all accurate. I don't see how anybody can stay in business selling for less than cost, nor o I expect them to not profit from me. Th
I think their true and final cost may be less then what the invoice is showing. Let`s face it, dealers have to make money too. As for the extra cost of shipping to CA, I feel your dealers are being truthful on that. RV`s shipped to the West coast seem to be generally more expensive then those purchased anywhere reasonably close to the manufacturer for obvious reasons. If I were to have an Arctic Fox or other Western built RV delivered to the East Coast, I`m sure it would cost me much more in freight then someone on the West coast, so I guess it works both ways.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I had the same result as CM on my transaction with RV direct and the pricing I paid was slightly more than the listed cost as all options were listed there in the price so margin for the dealer has to be considered. It was still 20% less than anyone else within 150 miles of me. If you click on the price for your unit you see a fully selcted option sheet priced out so if you take out the options you don't have see if it's close. I too picked up for free and also received a nights stay on RV Direct FOC so how can I beat that.

I would do it again without hesitation and would highly reccomend them.

Great site for homework before you buy though!
Did you buy from Albany or Buffalo? I bought from Albany.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #15

Albany.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 03-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Albany.
They did a very thorough PDI, supplied battery, propane and starter kit. We stayed at a CG close by the first night to give everything a tryout. I did have to readjust my WD hitch in the CG that first night, the cams were not lined up correctly. But it was my hitch that I brought with me, not one I purchased from them, and they installed it for free, so I guess I can`t complain too much about that. They may not have been too familiar with the old style dual cams. Buying away from home is not for everyone, but it worked out well for us.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #17

Same on the PDI thoroughness. I had a fifth wheel hitch already installed since my truck came with rails. They did however set the height for me right there while someone went through the PDI with me. Being the second week in Nov and 6 inches of snow had fallen a few nights prior I opted for the hotel. It was a very nice hotel at that. Bringing all the blankets and pillows I needed for one night was not an option at the time. I had an issue with my 7pin connecter which they and gave me some electrical spray and zip ties to hold it in place for the ride home. They allowed me to keep it in the overflow lot for the night, then I went and picked it up in the am for the journey home. I was able to do this turnaround in 36 hours.

There was another unit being prepped next to mine that must have had 6 people washing, poilishing and cleaning the interior for the 3 hours I was there. Mine was immaculate, top to bottom.
Again it was first class in service and delivery experience. The communication through the process was excellent as well.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 03-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #18

I did a lot of internet shopping including RV Wholesaler, RV Direct, RV Connection, etc. The last quote I got came from RV Direct, I think, and it was for $24,141 if I came and picked it up. Then, I got a call out of the blue, I say that because I had twice asked this dealer for quotes and received nothing from them, and this dealer said they noticed I was looking for a fifth-wheel. Well, I had looked at the FW we eventually bought on their lot twice and the same model on another lot twice as well. I told the salesman what the other place, about 250 miles further away was asking and they came back with a price of $26,200. Well, I live about 1,500 miles or more away from RV Direct and figuring in the price of fuel, diesel, motels, food etc. I figure they shot me a pretty good deal, so we bought it. Looking at the dealer pricing site, I'm not totally sure they have all of the right pricing. The list of standards includes many things my trailer doesn't have, like 16" tires, 50 amp service, etc., and didn't have on Jayco's site. So I would take this site with a little bit of a grain of salt. I do believe it might be a good starting point, but make sure you are comparing apples to apples. By the way, based on what I had been quoted, I do believe the price I got was fair, even if not rock bottom, when factoring in transportation, etc. And, this dealer doesn't finance any of his floorplan but this new trailer had been on the lot for about three months when we made the deal.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #19

OK guys lets remember that this is the manufactures list wholesale price. Just like in the auto industry the retailers get volume pricing that is not shown... so if they only sold ONE unit in a year that is the price they pay... but the more units they sell the less the cost per unit from the manufacture.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #20

Sean, you have a valid point. When I first stated looking into getting our trailer, I was prepared to drive to the factory or RV direct, to get it. There is a additional 2500 -3000 dollars charge at dealerships for transportation. I found a dealer who was about 300 miles from home who saved me from making the trip. Like most of you I got mine at about dealer cost. Like Sean says they have to make the money thru a volume sale deal.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote