Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #1

Dealer does Orientation, PDI behind the scenes?

So I learned today that our local dealer that has our trailer stored for us until April so that hopefully our snow lessens and our weather improves.

Apparently what they do is when they know what date you intend to pick up your trailer they do their own PDI (without you there) a few days to a week before your intended pick up date. At this point they add on any extras (ie. back up/observation camera). Then you go in on the date you chose and they do an orientation with you.

They stated that the orientation does take a couple of hours and the tech goes all the systems with you and shows you how to use them all. But to me it sounds like you don't actually get to see any of the water systems in use because the trailer will likely still be winterized and because of where we live they likely will not dewinterize it at that point.

Obviously we want to see all systems in working order, but also realize that may not be possible because of our climate.

I guess I just needed to vent and see if anyone else had a dealer that did things this way (I also know there are a few fellow Saultites on this forum).

Maybe I am too paranoid because we have 2 larger longer trips already booked and planned and I would hate for any possible repairs to get in the way of our limited camping season.
carlamacewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #2

Unless it is stunningly cold on your PDI day, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to test your water systems as well. If you think you'll need to be winterized again after you're done, bring a couple of gallons of AF to run through the lines after the PDI. I know every trailer's water system is a little different, but it only takes me about 20 minutes to winterize my trailer. I would push the dealer to let you test out everything before you tow it off the lot, even if you can't have their tech sit with you the whole time. Make a list and go through the items on your list before leaving. Once you're off the lot, you lose a lot of leverage.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #3

What do you consider stunningly cold?

In a perfect world we would be able to dewinterize and leave it that way and have no worries.

From what I know people "normally" dewinterize at the beginning of May here, so we may have a week or 2 of it being possibly dewinterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleyz View Post
Unless it is stunningly cold on your PDI day, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to test your water systems as well. If you think you'll need to be winterized again after you're done, bring a couple of gallons of AF to run through the lines after the PDI. I know every trailer's water system is a little different, but it only takes me about 20 minutes to winterize my trailer. I would push the dealer to let you test out everything before you tow it off the lot, even if you can't have their tech sit with you the whole time. Make a list and go through the items on your list before leaving. Once you're off the lot, you lose a lot of leverage.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #4

I bought my trailer last month at a South Central Michigan dealer. My walk around did not take as long as yours but, they too, could not demonstrate the water system, which had antifreeze in it. They could only explain it.

Although my TT is new to me, it was a new leftover 2016 model x254 (so it's been sitting at the dealer lot for two years waiting to be purchased). I'm just going to find out how the water system works in May on a pre first trip inspection/test in the driveway (I need to flush the antifreeze anyway). I'll only be a 1/2 hour drive from the house for the maiden voyage. If things are faulty, I'll take it back to the dealer for repairs under the 2-year warranty before additional trips come that I have lined up to take me through the rest of the summer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlamacewan View Post
What do you consider stunningly cold?

In a perfect world we would be able to dewinterize and leave it that way and have no worries.

From what I know people "normally" dewinterize at the beginning of May here, so we may have a week or 2 of it being possibly dewinterized
So cold that your water system would freeze up during the PDI.

There is no harm in dewinterizing and then winterizing again. You'll be out $6 in anti-freeze and some time. We frequently decide to take a late year camping trip after we have winterized and just dewinterize, go and winterize again when we're done.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #6

Thank you 36fire412 and morleyz for your inputs. It is greatly appreciated.

Also it's good to know someone else in a colder climate that wasn't able to have their water systems tested when they picked up the trailer.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #7

I live in western Pennsylvania and I took delivery of my Jayco this January. I made it clear the salesman that I expected to have the camper dewinterized and full of freshwater when I arrived to the PDI. I also warned my salesman that I would require approximately 2 to 3 hours to go over the camper by myself. The dealership had no issues accommodating me. I brought the unit home the same day and winterized the camper that night once I got it home only takes about 10 or 15 minutes including set up and clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psucivil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #8

Pdi

I am on my third Jayco over the past 40 years. In the last two incidents, I knew far more than the guy doing the PDI. They were a waste to time. I pick up my third one in about 6 weeks and will do my best to skip that process and do a thorough and I mean a thorough inspection of every inch of the unit inside and out.
Trainman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #9

We will be picking up our new 21QB after Easter and will be getting the dealer instructions then. I was told that they will be doing it indoors and the water system will be de-winterized for the the run through and then winterized following the demo.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #10

Any good dealer in a cold climate should pull the TT inside a repair bay plug it in and fill it with water. This is how mine went at the end of winter pickup and it worked out great, after we were done they blew out the lines and I went on my way.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #11

Thank you all for your responses.

Makes me feel better knowing I wasn't crazy for thinking it was weird that they might not have the water systems functional. This will be something I definitely discuss with them.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #12

I purchased mine in dead of winter and near zero. I ask them to pump anti-Freeze through the lines. We went through 3-4 gallons, but I saw it moving and checked for leaks. As a side benefit I learned first hand how to winterize it, moving valves etc.
Jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #13

If it’s consistently in the 20s that is too cold.
We had our PDI in Maine in February
It was inside and we did get to use the water system then the dealer rewinterized
It was 10 during the day
Below zero at night.
It’s goid practice to winterize. It is quick
You like us when you use your TT will unwinterize and rewinterize at least twice during any winter trip south.

We are going hone from FL and will have to rewinterize
No big deal. Even with yet more snow coming.
I’ve been to the Soo in Ontario many times.
Just don’t be afraid of the process

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlamacewan View Post
Thank you all for your responses.

Makes me feel better knowing I wasn't crazy for thinking it was weird that they might not have the water systems functional. This will be something I definitely discuss with them.
You are for sure not crazy I would have those dummies turn the heat on fill the fresh water tank.Run everything on the water pump like dry camping. Turn everything on if that works plug in the hose for fresh water to camper. Don't forget you would want the hot water tank running. Check on propane and then electric.Then make sure your all your tanks dump, and valve to empty your fresh water is working.There are a lot of PDI check list out there.We were not a vigilant as you! 29 months into ownership we have a bunch of unresolved warranty. And its about to get real ugly here!
Attached Thumbnails
100_0357.1584.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #15

I had the same issue last year when picking up my trailer from probably the same Jayco dealer north of the Soo (we're about a half hour east of the Soo). There was a credit for taking earlier delivery, before I think April 30th, but we were still experiencing freezing weather, so the trailer was still winterized when we picked it up. We could have taken a later delivery with a de-winterized trailer, but we chose the earlier delivery. It worked out okay for us, everything worked well when we de-winterized. That may not always happen as sometimes there are issues from the factory. But I will say that we have found this particular Jayco dealer to be excellent with after sale service. My experience has been that they go the extra mile to look after their customers, so I would not expect any problems should you need warranty work after pick up.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by North55 View Post
I had the same issue last year when picking up my trailer from probably the same Jayco dealer north of the Soo (we're about a half hour east of the Soo). There was a credit for taking earlier delivery, before I think April 30th, but we were still experiencing freezing weather, so the trailer was still winterized when we picked it up. We could have taken a later delivery with a de-winterized trailer, but we chose the earlier delivery. It worked out okay for us, everything worked well when we de-winterized. That may not always happen as sometimes there are issues from the factory. But I will say that we have found this particular Jayco dealer to be excellent with after sale service. My experience has been that they go the extra mile to look after their customers, so I would not expect any problems should you need warranty work after pick up.
Sounds like the exact same dealer and we have the same thing as well where if we pick it up in April we get credit for taking the earlier delivery.

After talking to the dealer again they do a pressure test of the systems, also they give you a nights stay at a local full hook up campground so that you can test all systems. So you can bet we will be using that.

The dealer is also known for their excellent service and after talking to locals who have dealt with this dealer, I'm much more confident

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2018, 07:02 PM   #17

I tested my systems and then had dealer rewinterize it. Didn't even bring my own AF. They didn't mind at all. Just turn the heat on and do the rest of the inspection so it warm then do the inspection of the water system and rewinterize.
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote