Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #1

Dealer extended warranty- Good idea?

Hi everyone, long time tent camper, first time RV-er here. I'm about to pick up my new 2015 Jay Flight 195 SLX Baja TT next week. The dealer is offering a 7 year warranty (can be serviced at any dealer) that adds around 10% to the purchase price. After lurking in the forums for some time I've noticed that there is a plethora of things that can go wrong on our mini space stations that get dragged about the countryside, steeped in the entropy of the elements. Seven years seems like a nice long time to not worry about problems other than caulking and other routine user responsibilities ect. Appliance & equipment problems can add up fast. $1600 for peace of mind. Would you do it?
Thanks & cheers.
redcedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

I'm sure some JOF members will chime in, but in the meantime here are a couple of JOF threads on the same subject for reference:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...arranty&page=2

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...arranty&page=2

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:24 AM   #3

I'm not sure either way that an extended warranty is a good idea for weekend camper use. I am, however, pretty convinced that for full time use it can pay off well. I have stated before that RV appliances and fixtures just don't seem to me to be designed for full time use and they just wear out. If an extended warranty will cover those items as mine has then I think it was worth it. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for my extended warranty, but I would now definitely consider it for my next unit as long as I full time.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:12 AM   #4

Spending $1600 on a piece of paper does not bring peace to my mind. I guess it boils down to your abilities. I can repair/troubleshoot almost anything so my mechanic bill is zero with the exception of things that the average homeowner just can't do. I don't have a spin balancer or a 4 wheel alignment rack.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, pay someone else to do it.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:32 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

I buy it for my vehicles but I passed on the trailer. Nothing really to go wrong that I can't fix. They are likely more loop holes in that piece of paper anyway that you will hear those great words from the service department "sorry,that part isn't covered"
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:50 AM   #6

If it is a motorized unit I do, for a towable I never have.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

We went with the Good Sam's Platinum bumper to bumper including the tires for 7 years. They also applied fabric protector and some type of Teflon sealer on the exterior which is supposed to protect it for many years. They also gave us a care kit. I don't remember how much we paid. I bought a $50k RV new and the piece of mind of not having to worry about it was worth it. As it turned out, the dealer was able to secure better financing several days later that more than made up for the difference in the payment including the extended warranty. It was like getting it for free! :-)
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #8

If you end up really considering the warranty make sure you go thru it with the dealer from the tongue to the rear bumper since your paying 1600.00 divided 84 months= to aprox 19.50 per month plus interest if your financeing it if it covers bumper to bumper seems pretty fair to me
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #9

Thanks, sounds like self insuring is the way to go.
redcedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #10

I decided to "self-insure" for both RVs that I've owned. For me, I have saved bunches of money over the years by not buying extended warranties for numerous purchases but I'm sure there are those who have benefited from them. I also figure that you have a 2 year warranty to start with so you are really only getting 5 years of coverage, not 7.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Yea Kellys, with Good Sam they cover most everything even stuff not cover by the manufacturer. They even come and change a flat tire, give you a jump start, come get you, tow you, put you in a hotel, arrange travel arrangements if necessary, and fix your RV. My TT has triple superslides. One slide repair will more than pay for the seven year extended warranty. A slide repair/replacement can run $7k. Good Sams even covers you in someone else's vehicle for roadside assistance. I usually don't buy extended warranties either, but in this case I think it is worth it. The price wasn't that bad and I won't even notice the extra money on the payment each month.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote