Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #1

Dealers are their own worst enemies

Our 2013 351RLTS was purchased September 21, 2013, so our two year warranty runs out September 21, 2015. I've got a couple of minor issues that need to be addressed, so I called the dealer this morning to inquire about it. The dealer told me that I needed to get the unit to them quickly so they could beat that deadline. I asked if making them aware of the issue before the deadline was sufficient, and I was told no. "Okay, fine," I said, "I will just bring it in next Saturday, September 19, and leave it.

She then told me that she didn't know if that would work. She said there would be several units in line ahead of me, and that she couldn't guarantee that she would be able to get to mine before the warranty runs out.

That's a big load of crap. I haven't been completely thrilled with my service after the sale anyway, but this takes the cake. Warranty work is the easiest money a dealership makes, and they are just begging me to not give them that work.

This dealer is about 50 miles from me. I'm not even going to bother taking my camper to them. We have a new RV dealership in our town (not a Jayco dealer), and I gave them a call a little while ago. I relayed the story to the service manager there. He told me that he used to work a Jayco dealership, and he confirmed that what the original dealer told me was a big load of crap.

The new dealership in town provides mobile service, and they do not have a service call charge for local residents. They just charge their normal labor rates. I'll just pay them to address my two minor issues. That will be much less stressful that dealing with the dealer I purchased the unit from.

Rant over.

etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Team

You must have got the message loud and clear, they don't want your repeat business. Anything identified and documented should be honored by Jayco.

Your assessment about them is spot on.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #3

Make sure to let Jayco know as well. They very well may authorize payment to either that dealer or a mobile tech if you tell them about your wayward dealer. They also have a process to file a formal complaint.
2009 Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
2005 Jay Flight 27BH (sold) - probably my favorite
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #4

I'm glad to have a good dealer. They know of a few issue I had, they took care of them well after the warranty was up.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
Make sure to let Jayco know as well. They very well may authorize payment to either that dealer or a mobile tech if you tell them about your wayward dealer. They also have a process to file a formal complaint.
X2
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Don't take what I am going to say wrong, etex211, I am on your side but its been my experience that the dealers are busier than diesel mechanics lately. I know it is up to a 2 month wait for my dealer to get to my unit. On the other hand, I would not be too happy if I was 7 weeks into my 2 month wait only to get bumped back a couple more weeks because someone brought theirs in today and they took them right in ahead of mine. Good luck and I hope you can get your issues resolved soon.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #7

I'm not sure how Jayco warranty works but I do know how the Toyota warranty work at the dealer that i was formerly employed at. Everything is done online with the computer and when the warranty expiry date passes the warranty ends! Now that being said there was was what was called good will that could be used but it was a PITA involving much time and effort by the dealer for something that was very simple if it was brought in with enough time to have done and processed before the warranty runs out. (also usually involved cost to the dealer as well as the vehicle owner)
Also working at a dealer for many years I always question why some people think that dealers should inconvenience many people just because the customer wasn't willing to allow enough time to have things done ahead of time? like dg1971 says if units are already in the que to be worked on why should they be pushed back just because of others?

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
Site Team

The manufacturer to dealer relationship is vastly different between auto and rv's.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #9

That maybe but to me I always question why some people think that everyone should drop everything they are doing to serve them and then get annoyed or worst when they don't?
Emergencies are one thing but if it's regular service work then get in line!

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Our 2013 351RLTS was purchased September 21, 2013, so our two year warranty runs out September 21, 2015. I've got a couple of minor issues that need to be addressed, so I called the dealer this morning to inquire about it. The dealer told me that I needed to get the unit to them quickly so they could beat that deadline. I asked if making them aware of the issue before the deadline was sufficient, and I was told no. "Okay, fine," I said, "I will just bring it in next Saturday, September 19, and leave it.

She then told me that she didn't know if that would work. She said there would be several units in line ahead of me, and that she couldn't guarantee that she would be able to get to mine before the warranty runs out.

That's a big load of crap. I haven't been completely thrilled with my service after the sale anyway, but this takes the cake. Warranty work is the easiest money a dealership makes, and they are just begging me to not give them that work.

This dealer is about 50 miles from me. I'm not even going to bother taking my camper to them. We have a new RV dealership in our town (not a Jayco dealer), and I gave them a call a little while ago. I relayed the story to the service manager there. He told me that he used to work a Jayco dealership, and he confirmed that what the original dealer told me was a big load of crap.

The new dealership in town provides mobile service, and they do not have a service call charge for local residents. They just charge their normal labor rates. I'll just pay them to address my two minor issues. That will be much less stressful that dealing with the dealer I purchased the unit from.

Rant over.
Nope the factory won't pay the $129 an hour so your right they re begging you not to come in.

2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote