Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2022, 02:35 PM   #1

Decisions, decisions...

Sorry this is a bit long. But I'm only sharing this to vent a little, and because folks here are really helpful. We've been toying for a couple of years now about getting out of RVing. Lots of reasons, most personal. What I will share here is that towing used to be fun, not so much the past few years. Setup and teardown time is more of a chore now than something fun. We're often exhausted after we're setup and traveling the better part of the day. The times we've done an AirNB or nicer motel were actually a bit of a relief. No hassle.

The cost of fuel is not a factor in anything we decide this year. We didn't the last time it was $4 in WI. What I think is the tipping point is that yesterday we got news that our favorite destination CG was suddenly sold to a company that converts CGs into "glampgrounds". Seasonal campers were told by email on 3/8 that rates were going up 71% (we are not seasonal, but we got the email). If they don't agree they have to get their units out by 3/31. Some of these people winter in FL, and for those that are close, that CG still has snow. None of this bodes well for our 3 reservations in May, Sept, and Oct. Not only price (they are known for developing sites that are $120 a night+) but what is this place about to become? What we've really enjoyed for nearly 14 years of going there is being locked into a site every year at the same time periods. That was how the previous owner did business. Also where this is located is very central to everything there is to do. Most are within 20 minutes.

On one hand we can wait and see but we don't think we'll like the outcome. And we may be left without a site for much of season anyway. Getting a different site is not going to be easy. We stopped going to state parks because of the game of trying to get what you want and settling for something we didn't want. And I don't want to just leave the trailer parked for a year.

We owe a very small amount of money on the trailer. I only dragged it out because I could. I can pay it off tomorrow and more than recoup it and then some. The trailer is supposed to be worth $10k on a private party sale. The thing I wonder with the price of gas, is how long it will sit before it sells?

If we get out this year or next, we will miss some things about RVing. Sitting by the fire at night. We have a fire pit at home but it's not the same thing. Sitting around outside during beautiful afternoons just being lazy, reading, napping, etc. Cooking over the campfire. Watching a movie cozied up inside after coming in from the fire at night. Everything else we do camping we can do staying in a room or AirNB.

Thanks for bearing with me through this folks.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:06 PM   #2

Sounds like Sun RV Resorts. They've been on a buying spree with exactly the same comments from previous campers about the changes from before and after. Personally, I only found the one in Cape May to be anything to write home about and we've been to three others..once each...and no desire to return.
Regarding your dilemma, I could be wrong but it appears you came to a conclusion while writing the post. And that's the way I would go. I'm with you on the loss of "gee whizz" and "boy is this fun" sensations going Dodo over the past few years. The greed factor has infiltrated our seasonal grounds without a buyout. Perhaps it's our last year as well. There is a generational shift in manners, parenting, respect and so on that is very apparent on the grounds now.....exactly what my grandparents said when I was much younger. We'll call them cultural differences and I for one would have a heap of trouble trying to change mine. Best of luck.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:42 PM   #3

Thanks. We've been loosely considering this for a couple of years. We haven't quite made the decision but I think I know where it's going. As much as we just want to sell the trailer quickly, we're in a good position to sit on it if I have to.

The CG was bought by a company called HTR Investors out of Boston. Their website says they are “focused on acquiring, developing and managing best-in-class RV, camping and glamping resorts throughout the United States.”

They are using a management company to run the place, Advanced Outdoor Solutions.

No reason I can't share where this place is:

https://doorcountypulse.com/egg-harb...ZlA1DhXIkJudVs
Old 03-11-2022, 04:09 PM   #4

I read the article. Wow. Perhaps one of the seasonals is a retired lawyer or has family in the biz. I know nothing about WI laws that govern campgrounds nor do I know what the paperwork is that was signed with a deposit telling the company you're in for the following year. Some states see campgrounds in the same vein as hotels, some see them as renting the space much like a landlord tenant statute would define it and perhaps there's no governing laws. In any event, when D**ks show their cards, it's time to play at a different table.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:49 PM   #5

DocBrown and muckinfuss, thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions. I'm headed down the same path. It's supposed to be good, clean, affordable fun, and it's turning into something else.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:59 PM   #6

I feel for you and worry about the same thing happening to us one of these days. We got into RVing as a retirement thing to travel without having to put up with noisy, packed, expensive hotels. While we’ve taken some long trips as planned, we spend even more time escaping to a beloved mom and pop RV park a few hours away where we get our favorite site and are treated well. Price isn’t an issue, although it’s very reasonable. It’s more about slow pace, rules that are enforced and peace and quiet. I live in fear that the aging owners will close or sell to an outfit that cares more about profits than quality. At that point, lacking other alternatives, we may cash it in.

When we bought the TT four years ago, we agreed to try it for 5 or 10 years as we figure by that time it might be too much work to continue. So far so good, but things out of our control could change our plans, like you. Good luck.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #7

We have never been seasonal campers as we enjoy the traveling aspect of the "hobby" or lifestyle. We have seen the Sun TV transformation of 2 of our used to be favorite camping spots. I am still hopeful that the "Covid Campers" will tire quickly of the camping scene and sell the campers they bought on impulse. We got out of Rv'ing back in the late 90's for financial reasons and jumped back in full force as soon as we could in the early 2000's. We still love everything about it except the rising costs and the rudeness and lack of etiquette shown by those who have jumped on board these past 2 years.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:37 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Well, we decided over the weekend to put our beloved hybrid trailer up for sale. Honestly it was an emotional decision. We've been campers for 37 years. Our thoughts and discussions were consumed by it all weekend. Sadness mixed with relief, and excitement. While we are sad to give up the outdoor time at a CG, and the comfort of the trailer at night, we will not miss the preseason prep, trip packing, towing, setup, teardown, or winter decommission.

We also made AirNB reservations to replace 2 of the 3 trips that would have been camping. What ever we do, outdoor space and a kitchen is a must for vacations. So cabins, cottages, etc. are all on the table now. Looking forward again to summer.

I still have lots to do before I put it up for sale. We started removing some things from it, still lots left. I'm hoping it will be fully ready to sell by mid-April. In the meantime I'm waiting for Camping World to respond to my request for an offer. That would save a lot of hassle.

Just for clarity we are not seasonal site holders at this CG. But what they are doing to them is indicative to where they are headed and it was the trigger for us to make our decision. We'd no longer be locked into our site at the dates we want. And I have a feeling prices are going through the roof. This place won't even show site fees on the web site anymore. Just in principle we don't want to give them our business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
While we’ve taken some long trips as planned, we spend even more time escaping to a beloved mom and pop RV park a few hours away where we get our favorite site and are treated well. Price isn’t an issue, although it’s very reasonable. It’s more about slow pace, rules that are enforced and peace and quiet. I live in fear that the aging owners will close or sell to an outfit that cares more about profits than quality. At that point, lacking other alternatives, we may cash it in.
This is EXACTLY our situation. We were locked in every year to the same site, same dates so long as we reserved before we left the CG at the end of our time period. The owners weren't all that old. Maybe early 50s. I suspect something happened in their relationship. Something was "off" last fall. The photo in my signature is our campsite at this place.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
DocBrown and muckinfuss, thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions. I'm headed down the same path. It's supposed to be good, clean, affordable fun, and it's turning into something else.
For us, where we've been going, people are just fine yet. CG management has a lot to do with the safety and level of trouble. This place was excellent in that way, as was a county CG we were going to in the Upper Peninsula. For us, getting out of camping is more about the work involved. All of that used to be fun. It stopped being fun several years ago. Once setup, it was great, but that's all that was fun the last few years.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #10

Doc,

Sorry to see you go. You've given me lots of good advice when we started out many years go. I wish you all the best!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Doc,

Sorry to see you go. You've given me lots of good advice when we started out many years go. I wish you all the best!
I really appreciate that Scott! I don't intend on dropping completely off this forum. Over time though I will most likely be here less and less.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:24 AM   #12

Glad you came to a decision, but sorry to see good campers give it up. I hate to see this pastime turned into an exclusive diversion for rich RV owners and greedy corporate park owners. I do sense your relief and next time I’m out waxing the TT I may be a little jealous. Please stick around on JOF — we appreciate your wisdom.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:48 AM   #13
RPR

Notice some campgrounds have put tiny homes in place of some Rv sites. Might be a option for y’all.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Notice some campgrounds have put tiny homes in place of some Rv sites. Might be a option for y’all.
The past couple of years we've been considering some sort of seasonal. It would have been preferable to be at that campground. However things in our personal life would have made it a waste. We would not be able to use it enough to justify it.

That said, in the area we love to go to the most, the seasonal waiting lists are so long most CGs have stopped taking names. The only way in is to know when an existing unit comes up for sale and jump on it.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:07 PM   #15

Decisions, decisions

I’m not so sure that many “covid” Rvers will be getting out of RVing. Over the years, many people fall into this type of activity serendipitously and by happenstance. Once exposed to this type of travel, they fall in love with it. I have met many folks on the road who have told me they never really planned on having a rig, but once exposed to it, loved it. Regarding glamper RV campgrounds, I would rather stay at a nice hotel. Too much energy spent on the road and chances of breaking down,etc.
darlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:57 PM   #16

Doc Brown, I received the same letter. My husband and I spent a week there last September... it was a really nice campground in a glorious area. I thought the tone of the letter was abrupt and uninformed - we were not seasonal campers, simply on a week stay but we were told we had to be out by the end of the month. I guess it probably went to anyone who has ever stayed there. Best wishes on future travels - as they say in the Navy "Fair Winds and Following Seas!"

Leslie Flattery
Katy, TX
lesrunmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:15 PM   #17

We have been campers since the 1960's. Both the wife and i with our families before we ever met. Out kids grew up camping.

We had reached a point that we would not go to another campground. 99% fine people, but the other 1% spoiled it. Also, sharing the bathroom facilities with others got old.

Nevertheless, we simply could not stop the good life, so we bought a small piece of land out in the woods and set the trailer up permanently. Turned out that our taxes and upkeep were only a fraction of what we spent at the campgrounds. Plus, now we have a place to go ANYTIME. The only expense is the gas to get there. We eventually cleared some woods and our kids have RVs there as well.

If I want to go target shooting or pee in the bushes, I'm the boss now. The best part id that the property appreciates in value every year.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:50 PM   #18

I understand. We are at a point where "when do we sell" is on the table. We're seeing a combo of: hard to get into our state/county parks, high enough rates at private parks to make an Airbnb look better, not liking the poor manners of guests at several parks (to the point that one of the nicer places we recently stayed have had to add "no political banners/decorations". Never thought I'd see the day when people need to be told how to be polite.
We have a lovely Jay Feather TT and will keep it until towing becomes not possible (i'm useless with the hookup and anything but straight roads. Not my skillset.). With the price of gas, we are pausing before deciding to head out. The place needs to be worth it - feed our souls.
ltnunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:23 PM   #19

As a relative newcomer to the RV life, I hate to see the more experienced RV'ers hang it up. Our original goal was to see all National Parks in the U.S. We spent the first few years "going places." They were mostly National Parks but we also experienced parts of Canada. I can appreciate the change in manners, we've noticed it even in our short 4 years. So, we've adapted. What the RV life is about for us is to be away from the city, the news, the traffic, etc. We've found something new in our last few trips, which usually last between 20 - 30 days, that we enjoy staying in one place and just exploring or relaxing. We just spent 8 days on the Oregon Coast (Port Orford) that was quiet, the campground (Port Orford RV) is managed very well, the area is not conjested at all. At over 70 we wonder how long we will be able to "do" the set/up etc. but if that becomes too much we will move to a class C. For us, the next few years are going to be learning how to boondock or stay away from the premium RV full service campgrounds and try to find the Mom and Pops that are so important to us. We will miss those of you that leave and are grateful for what you've contributed.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:26 PM   #20

I understand and appreciate how much thought you've put into your decision. We will keep you in our thoughts.
ltnunes is offline   Reply With Quote