Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #1

Dedicated Truck vs. RV GPS Unit

I've searched but most GPS posts seem to be very dated so I'm posting new. I'm looking to pick up a dedicated GPS unit for my '14 Seneca. While I use Google Maps on my phone for normal routing predominantly, I'd like a dedicated unit and weighing between a truck GPS and RV GPS. On the truck side, I'm looking at the Rand McNally TND 740 and on the RV side, the Rand McNally RVND 7. I'm not partial to either, but believe the RM Truck unit will be the best option if I go the Truck GPS route.

Reason for the truck unit is for the better bridge height restrictions, weight and length limits as well as more truck-like trip routing - I want to avoid smaller streets. I also like the handy trip cost capabilities. The RVND unit SEEMS to do this but it is also not wifi capable and cannot be updated on the fly as the TND can.

Overall, my plan would be:
1. Rough route planning via Google Maps and referencing the "Motor Carrier's Road Atlas" for bridge heights and other restrictions

2. Navigation routing using Truck or RV GPS

3. General purpose routing for campgrounds, food, etc using Google Maps/Yelp on my phone.

Anyone here gone with a truck GPS instead of an RV GPS? Differences, experience using either?

Appreciate the insight!

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

In our new Seneca Jayco put this piece of crap Soundesign GPS music station. The GPS is based on a truckers GPS and was hard to use and real hard to update. So we bought a Garmin RV780. This thing is just great. In its set up you put in your length, width, and weight. Then choose your RV setting and off you go. Works to rout you away from trouble. It also has some 30000 RV parks in it so it can find just about anyplace in the US and Canada.

We also use RV trip wizard to plan our trips. Again we put in our size and the trip wizard routs us safely

Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender on the road View Post
In our new Seneca Jayco put this piece of crap Soundesign GPS music station. The GPS is based on a truckers GPS and was hard to use and real hard to update. So we bought a Garmin RV780. This thing is just great. In its set up you put in your length, width, and weight. Then choose your RV setting and off you go. Works to rout you away from trouble. It also has some 30000 RV parks in it so it can find just about anyplace in the US and Canada.

We also use RV trip wizard to plan our trips. Again we put in our size and the trip wizard routs us safely

Thanks for your feedback on this. I did go with the Garmin Dezl 780 LMT-S. Same deal as you described - enter vehicle parameters and using some test routes, I've noted how it selects mostly truck routes. Just what I'm looking for. Will be using on an actual road trip next week. Glad to hear on RV Trip Wizard too. I may end up signing up for that service for strategic route planning.

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote