Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2022, 09:38 AM   #1

Defrosting the Freezer

Just finished defrosting the freezer on my Norcold 8nX refrigerator. I have to do this about every 3 weeks because there is a small leak around the Freezer door that after 3 trips to the dealer and a couple of adjustments I've decided to just live with. I use the hair dryer method and it takes 10 minutes. I shut the reefer off then empty the Freezer, I put the frozen items in the bottom half of the reefer. Put a couple of dish towels on the bottom to pick up the melted ice, set the dryer on medium, then let the warm air melt the ice. Be patient, it takes a couple of minutes for the ice to start to melt but once it starts it goes quickly. About 10 minutes from start to finish. Someone mentioned here not to get to close to the walls because they might warp. I then restart and in about an hour it's ready for use.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:07 PM   #2

Here's a tip I learned from the site. Buy some thin flexible plastic cutting sheets and slip them behind the racks against the freezer wall and on the bottom. When it needs defrosting peel the sheets off, most of your frost will build up on the plastic and simply fall off. Super fast and EZ!

Fotouzy Plastic Cutting Board Set of 7, Frosted Clear Flexible Cutting Mats $14.99
https://smile.amazon.com/Fotouzy-Fle...7&sr=8-21&th=1
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 04:26 PM   #3

Great tip, have to try that one!!!
Old 05-30-2022, 05:05 PM   #4

We bought a pack of flexible cutting boards. Then cut them to fit behind the shelves. When time to defrost just flex the cutting boards and the ice falls. We use a big car wash sponge to mop up the water in the bottom. Takes about 15 minutes
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsouce View Post
Just finished defrosting the freezer on my Norcold 8nX refrigerator. I have to do this about every 3 weeks because there is a small leak around the Freezer door that after 3 trips to the dealer and a couple of adjustments I've decided to just live with. I use the hair dryer method and it takes 10 minutes. I shut the reefer off then empty the Freezer, I put the frozen items in the bottom half of the reefer. Put a couple of dish towels on the bottom to pick up the melted ice, set the dryer on medium, then let the warm air melt the ice. Be patient, it takes a couple of minutes for the ice to start to melt but once it starts it goes quickly. About 10 minutes from start to finish. Someone mentioned here not to get to close to the walls because they might warp. I then restart and in about an hour it's ready for use.

Same, exactly what I do. In addition, I use a plastic scrapper to carefully scrape the melting ice off the back of the freezer, to further hurry up the process as well as scoop up any remaining ice left behind the towels.

Living full time in winter in SC, I find the freezer needs defrosted about every 3-4 weeks.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:34 AM   #6

x4 on the flexible cutting boards.
Read about them here or on another board. I am now a rockstar in DW's eyes! She loves how much easier the defrost process is now.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote