Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #21
Site Team

I see they are claiming an axle has to be made and that is holding things up. Most of the axles on these trailers are common and readily available. Dealer could be blowing smoke.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #22

But, I'm out of a trailer for 3 months and still cannot get parts from Jayco or their suppliers. I took them a rolling total loss and if ever repaired, I'll have a rolling piece of salvage and it was an 11 month old trailer. If I bought a car and had a blow out with damage, I would pay for a tire and insurance would pay for damage and I would be back on the road. My real problem is that Jayco could care less and I do not have a trailer. This is not right and not the norm from reading this forum. I'm gonna sit in the dealer's office next week. This is not right!
Retired17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #23
Site Team

So if I understand this correctly you are not waiting on a warranty claim but trying to obtain parts from Jayco for non warranty work, but they are slow in shipping them? Is that the issue?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:05 PM   #24

When was your Whitehawk 24MBH built? What model year is it? I have a new in 2017 Jay Flight 23RB which was built 1/23/17 and it came with American built 15" GoodYear Endurance LRD tires as standard equipment.

Did your's not come with GY Endurance tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired17 View Post
My 11 month old Whitehawk 24MBH suffered a blowout on the left front tire (chinese bomb) on 11/25/18. Prior to that, a window failed while driving and the valances were sucked off the wall while driving 60-65mph. The first issue was poorly repaired and failed again when the chinese bomb exploded. The blow out took our a ton of stuff including the lower dinette slide works. Today I learned that it also destroyed an axle. Jayco is unreliable for providing parts, it takes them forever to ship. I haven't used my camper for 90 days and when I get it back it will be rolling salvage. I am terribly disappointed in my Jayco purchase and will not consider another Jayco product! Further, when I talk to Jayco they could care less! I mentioned the warranty and was advised that it is a pass thru warranty to the parts manufacturers; so, is the Jayco warranty a real thing????

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:51 PM   #25

Atlee, those questions are covered earlier in the thread. Crabman, I expected to pay for a blown out tire and a few repairs covered by insurance at least by January and my dealer thought that as well. Jayco has been nothing but trouble! I don't expect anything for free; but, it would be nice to get parts from Jayco in a timely manner. Also, why did they change from Provider tires mid-year in 2017 to Goodyear. I guess "BUYER BEWARE!"
Old 02-23-2019, 07:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Also, why did they change from Provider tires mid-year in 2017 to Goodyear. I guess "BUYER BEWARE!"
Because Goodyear didn't start production of the ENDURANCE until 2017, before then all ST tires were imports.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #27

First... CALL directly to Jayco. They will tell you dates your dealer has contacted and such. Check to see if dealer is being truthful. My camper had brake issues which caused overheat and taking out the bearings also. I will tell you it took 2 weeks to get finalized BUT jayco did push LCI to get me completely new axles instead of just bearings and brakes. They said the heat could have weakened the spindles on the axles even though it shows no bluing. I will give it to my dealer because he pushed the crap out of them. BUT I'm dealing with a great dealer. I have gotten frustrated and such as my camper has been sitting BUT 3 months for parts sounds more like full of crap dealer than Jayco. My 2 new axles were ordered and should be here any day.
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #28

And yes change those chinese bombs immediately... when I bought mine it was an early 2017 so chinese bombs... part of my deal with the dealer they changed it before I took it off the lot to GY Endurence. I really like them. They are wearing very well and the piece of mind is worth it
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #29

Quote:
I did report the tires. I checked the tire pressure 1 hour before it blew. The temp was 40 degrees. This almost new tire blew with perfect pressure under normal circumstances. Every thing else was perfect and the trailer and truck were lightly loaded. Pure and simple tire failure! Jayco product failure!
I can't imagine your frustration, but I understand it. But I did note that you made no mention of a TPMS. You can stop and check the pressure every 15 minutes, but it won't help you if you get a puncture and lose pressure quickly. As I understand it, the damage you describe usually happens after a tire has failed and shredded - then the belts rip apart everything they can reach. Let me guess: the failed tire was also the rear axle. Front tires often kick up road debris that can puncture the rear tire. Without a TPMS you'll never know it happened.

Odds are you have no idea how far you drove after the tire failed.

Before I put my trailer on the road I got a TPMS, and won't go anywhere without it. Last April I had a sudden tire failure just as I hit the entrance ramp onto I-95. It was a rear tire, BTW. Picked up a piece of metal that went right through the tread. My TPMS alerted me to the sudden pressure loss instantly, and I pulled off to change the tire before getting on I-95. Without the TPMS warning I would have hit highway speeds with a failed tire, and probably would have sustained the same kind of damage you did. Or lost control and had an accident. My TPMS may have saved our lives, and certainly saved us from costly damage.

Strong suggestion: Go over to Roger Marble's blog and start reading; Roger hangs out on RV forums as "tireman9". You won't find anyone anywhere who's more knowledgeable about RV tires. He's at www.rvtiresafety.net. He makes it clear that many so-called blowouts are not blowouts, and the damage is very often preventable with a TPMS. Read what he has to say.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #30

It was a front right tire as I previously stated. No TPMS and it would not have helped with a blow out. 40* temp is plenty cool and I checked pressure at dinner an hour or less befor the blow out.

My biggest point here is that nothing like this should happen to an 11 month old trailer, with constantly checked tire pressures. My trailer has been unavailable since November 25, 2018. I do not yet know when it will be returned to me. Jayco has been no help at all. Jayco says their warranty is a pass thru warranty. So does Jayco do anything other than take a call. My dealer is supportive at this point. Bottom line I'm really angry with Jayco!
Old 02-23-2019, 01:59 PM   #31

Quote:
It was a front right tire as I previously stated. No TPMS and it would not have helped with a blow out. 40* temp is plenty cool and I checked pressure at dinner an hour or less befor the blow out.

My biggest point here is that nothing like this should happen to an 11 month old trailer, with constantly checked tire pressures.
My bad on the front tire. Apologies.

But my point still holds. You can stop and check your tire pressure every 15 minutes, but it won't protect you against road hazard failures. Impossible to prove one way or another at this point, but unless you heard the tire blow and stopped instantly, I would not be at all surprised to find that you had driven several miles on a failed tire. That would account for the extensive damage.

Seriously, read Roger Marble's excellent blog on tire failures.

Best of luck as you work through this. I'm sorry it's happening to you.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:37 PM   #32

Difference of Opinion

Quote:
Today I learned that it also destroyed an axle. Jayco is unreliable for providing parts, it takes them forever to ship. I haven't used my camper for 90 days and when I get it back it will be rolling salvage. I am terribly disappointed in my Jayco purchase and will not consider another Jayco product! Further, when I talk to Jayco they could care less! ????

My experience with Jayco is quite different. First Jayco (2012 Jayflight SLX 185RB) had ONE issue, under warranty and owned it four years. Latest TT just came out of 'repair' at a dealer in Lubbock that didn't even sell it to me! Got a new front cap, noted as damaged at selling dealer, new AC as the original failed, and a list of about 10 items all repaired under warranty
I have pulled TTs over 40k miles and have never had a blowout. I always buy Goodyear tires and drive 65....no faster.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #33

Quote:

My biggest point here is that nothing like this should happen to an 11 month old trailer, with constantly checked tire pressures. My trailer has been unavailable since November 25, 2018. I do not yet know when it will be returned to me. Jayco has been no help at all. Jayco says their warranty is a pass thru warranty. So does Jayco do anything other than take a call. My dealer is supportive at this point. Bottom line I'm really angry with Jayco!
I guess you've never heard of a road hazard. Pick up a nail, bolt, screw, etc going down the road and you'll get a quick flat. The heat from the flexing will quickly cause a blowout. Any damage that occurs from a blowout isn't covered under warranty.

I guess I'm just really confused about how this is a warranty issue in the first place.

I towed for 4 years on my "China bomb" tires without a single issue. Finally replaced them as the tread was wearing thin and we had a 2500 mile trip upcoming.

Then, if this is an out of pocket expenditure for you, I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't order an axle directly from that supplier, rather than paying the supplier's cost AND Jayco's markup as well.

Finally, I have had ZERO of the issues that you make reference to having. My experience with Jayco has been exemplary. I've found that the quality of the dealer is the biggest factor in your feeling of happiness towards Jayco. If you have a crappy dealer, they aren't doing what is necessary to get parts from Jayco. They can be really nice to you, but not be giving the correct information to Jayco. Its not the fault of Jayco... its still the dealer's fault.

Anywho, I can sense your frustration. Hopefully you get it taken care of soon. My buddy has a Forest River camper and has been fighting problems since he bought it 14 months ago. He FINALLY picked it back up from the dealer last week, after it had been there since October.

Best of luck, consider taking the advice of some people here. Call Jayco directly and find out what is happening. If its out of warranty and being paid by you or insurance, go directly to the manufacturer of your axle.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:04 PM   #34

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Still angry at Jayco …..seems you are angry at the rest of the world too.
Jayco is a manufacture plant and get accessories from different sources. In manufacturing everything is lined up for assembly in a very short time frame. They do not stock a lot of parts. This is for all RV manufactures. Jayco have been helpful to many of their customers and seem one of the best to consumer reports.
Every accessory source is usually warranted by the manufacturer of that source.
Jayco is the assembler of that Box what you buy. Tire failure is covered by the Tire manufacturer. Damage to the trailer is usually covered by Insurance companies (depends on the fine print in the insurance policy). Dealers do the repair and many are 6 moths behind schedule. The dealer also can get the part direct from the source supplier without going through Jayco. Through Jayco it has to go through more steps.
Owning an RV is also an owners responsibility, do thorough research and you would have known all the facts ahead of time. So please stop bashing Jayco and act responsible. If your dealer can't get the job done make arrangements with another dealer who can do the job in reasonable time.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #35
Site Team

I have a friend who had a bad bearing (Never Lube) and he was not aware of it until the bearings seized up and ruined the axle and tire. He was stranded in a truck stop until he had a trailer repair facility get a new axle from Dexter and install it. Took about a week.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #36

Not wishing an ordeal like this on anyone, glad I am not having issues and sure hope the tide turns for you soon
Old 03-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #37

When I picked up my new 2015 Jayco trailer from the dealer I checked all 4 tire pressures. They were all about 55 psi. The plaque on the side of the trailer, and my owners manual, states 65 psi. If I had trusted the dealer I could have easily had one or more blowouts in a short time. If I had traveled at 70 mph or more on tires restricted to 65 mph, blowouts would have been even more likely.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:28 PM   #38

I have a 08 314 and put 15,000-30,000 miles on it a year. If the sidewall blew it's because of a road hazard failures (loss of air pressure). I've went to Maxxis load range E, no failures yet. Will be headed back to Alaska in May for the third time.
LarryB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #39

Wow your having some serious issues. I'm having issues with alignment & have had same results with Jayco. Finally paying for alignment at independent shop.
jkkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #40

What brand of tires are on you White Hawk?
rhouthoofd is offline   Reply With Quote