Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2021, 10:24 PM   #1

Diamond Kote mouse proofing

Hello. When we purchased our new Whitehawk in the Spring of 2019, we were talked into purchasing the Diamond Kote mouse proofing which is not cheap! But, I have experience of mice in my trailer so it seemed worth it to me. First year, no mice. Second year, mice showed up in the Fall before I closed it up. I found out that if I take my trailer back to Dealer, they will respray (their warranty) but when we purchased it, it was a known thing we would be parking it at a seasonal campsite (it is not a simple task getting the trailer into this campsite and we don't want to move it). This detail was not made known to us about how the warranty works, obviously a lack of communication on both sides I guess. I assumed it was something they would come to site and reapply but this is not a possibility. It became too late in the season to deal with anyways. I crawled around everywhere and stuffed every minuscule hole I could find inside the trailer and crawled around underneath too. So far so good as I checked on it just a couple of weeks ago. Plus I used the Peppermint which I think is also a winner. But, my question is, do I have the right to ask for a partial refund on this product since it is not holding up to its promise and it was not made known I would have to return the trailer to the dealer as opposed to them coming to the site to reapply? Or, did I just spend a ridiculous amount of money for nothing. Any other experiences dealing with a Diamond Kote application? Thanks.
BrendaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:43 AM   #2

Thinking you spent a ridiculous amount of money for not much protection in return. Mice are a pain. Good luck in your hunting.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:39 AM   #3

Did you sign a document that spelled out all the details of the warranty? Usually there is a long document that they ask you to sign and all those details are in there. So you probably can ask, but they would be legally correctly in pointing to the contract. I'm wondering what the product was suppose to do. Basically what you did is the #1 method that is used to stop the mice. Plug holes with steel wool and sealant.

After a quick look at reviews it looks like this product relies on the fact that most RV owners never have mice issues. So spray some floofy dust and magic powder at 1000% profit and respray it once or twice for the small percentage of people who will experience a mouse problem.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:24 AM   #4

I think you are both right. I feel I got suckered into a moment of desperation. I have had one horrible experience with mice which I don't want to repeat but have learned a lot about since, the hard way and spent the money. When in reality, I already know how to keep them out in the first place, plug every hole you can find with a fine toothed comb!! Perhaps the spray has helped somewhat but bottom line, I have kept them out because of my diligence of sealing all holes. At the very least, I will ask for a partial refund from the Dealership, see where that gets me but I won't be surprised if they say no.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:50 AM   #5

We had three long nights in Colorado with mice entering. We bought out all the mice stuff from Tractor Supply they had. At that moment I would have bought anything with mouse proof in the title.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:01 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It is one of the sales tricks to get more money out of you. They sell you X-value for High Profit value. But what do you expect in a corporate corrupt world.
(even the dealership I work for sells it - just shake my head)
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
We had three long nights in Colorado with mice entering. We bought out all the mice stuff from Tractor Supply they had. At that moment I would have bought anything with mouse proof in the title.
I understand completely!
Old 01-31-2021, 04:23 PM   #8

I hear ya. Lesson learned! Unfortunately, I have learned way more than I bargained for, beyond this mouse proofing issue. The Dealership were "great"when I was purchasing the trailer, but the after sales service department is a whole other issue. Sneaky beyond imagination! We also purchased the extended warranty. And, if that was worth it, time will tell. If you think other wise, please don't tell me. Once the warranty is over, I am going to warn people big time on the dealership. Until then, I want to stay on their good side as much as I can. I think I will need to.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:26 PM   #9

It’s too bad they don’t require dealers to sell “BS-Proofing” to protect you from their sales pitches. I’ve found the devil is in the details of those long triplicate forms they make you sign. Even if the sales or finance guy/gal told you they’d make house calls for re-treatment, if it’s not in the contract you’re out of luck. You did the right things yourself and hopefully no more mice. Consider it another lesson. We’ve all been there!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote